Can you insert a memory card into an iPhone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: can you insert a memory card into an iphone 6?

Expandable memory would be nice though, if for no other reason than the cost savings. Apple charges a premium for their GBs

I agree.

I'm old school, in that I prefer the option of having self-expandable memory. Still, I'm not so infatuated with the option that it would prevent me from using the right device as a daily driver.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I don't know how many posts I've read over the years of SD cards wreaking havoc with other devices. Everything from slowing them down to corrupting and then making the card unreadable.

I would rather have Apple's solution. Have never had an issue with memory or backups.

Sort of agree. Like expecting apps to be load able on card always was terrible. But that was a BB.

It is quite conceivable that you could have media like photos, video and music on a card without any issue.

It just happens that it goes against Apple wanting to have superficial product bumps based on something that is very cheap, certainly not worth $100.

That's another reason they push the cloud. It has the added bonus of locking you in. These are not customer friendly motives for many that can't afford it big cloud storage and 100 flash upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

That's fair enough. I have never had any issues such as that despite having used them for years. I would ask though, don't you feel at all that Apple charges a bit more than is necessary? In fairness, the memory itself doesn't cost anywhere near what they are charging.

IMHO, of course Apple does LOL. But to be fair, Apple charges what the market will bear, which is what every corporation intends to do.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

IMHO, of course Apple does LOL. But to be fair, Apple charges what the market will bear, which is what every corporation intends to do.

There are other business friendly goals Apple could prioritize. Such as more customers. As a developer I would prefer more users.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

There are other business friendly goals Apple could prioritize. Such as more customers. As a developer I would prefer more users.

What on earth makes you think gaining more customers is not a priority in Apples business plan and future goals? Just because they don't buy or develop into certain features you see on other devices? That's a strange way to look at it (and by strange, I mean completely inaccurate).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

That's fair enough. I have never had any issues such as that despite having used them for years. I would ask though, don't you feel at all that Apple charges a bit more than is necessary? In fairness, the memory itself doesn't cost anywhere near what they are charging.

No, I don't. I don't pay for just what's in the box. I pay for support, customer service, build quality, app quality, ecosystem, interoperability, dependability.

So no....I pay the price that is fair. And I feel that what I paid for the iPhone 6 was fair.

I have paid 150 bucks for a phone that was worth exactly that.....150 bucks. Because of lack of the things I mentioned. That phone had expandable memory but in the final analysis, it is a much poorer experience. So it was worth what I paid. That phone is a "flagship" phone that is currently selling for 649 retail. The expandable memory can't make up for the issues that are present on that device, and anyone paying full price for it is being robbed.

boltz82

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

No, I don't. I don't pay for just what's in the box. I pay for support, customer service, build quality, app quality, ecosystem, interoperability, dependability.

So no....I pay the price that is fair. And I feel that what I paid for the iPhone 6 was fair.

I have paid 150 bucks for a phone that was worth exactly that.....150 bucks. Because of lack of the things I mentioned. That phone had expandable memory but in the final analysis, it is a much poorer experience. So it was worth what I paid. That phone is a "flagship" phone that is currently selling for 649 retail. The expandable memory can't make up for the issues that are present on that device, and anyone paying full price for it is being robbed.

I agree with everything that you said, and it was all correct in my opinion. The only debate that I have is this, you still will receive all of those things that you stated, "support, customer service, build quality, app quality, ecosystem, interoperability, dependability", whether you have a 32gb, 64gb, or 128gb phone. That doesn't change. Therefore with having to pay a minimum of $100 for each "upgrade" in memory, that is solely covering the cost of the memory and none of the aforementioned things. You are still paying a premium for memory. Something that costs Apple, the most expensive company in the world, pennies on the dollar. I am just saying it's out of whack. I would rather see Apple be more fair n the valuation of the memory and limit there profits there. Especially when they will make it up on the back end.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Sort of agree. Like expecting apps to be load able on card always was terrible. But that was a BB.

It is quite conceivable that you could have media like photos, video and music on a card without any issue.

It just happens that it goes against Apple wanting to have superficial product bumps based on something that is very cheap, certainly not worth $100.

That's another reason they push the cloud. It has the added bonus of locking you in. These are not customer friendly motives for many that can't afford it big cloud storage and 100 flash upgrades.

Not necessarily. I had my SD on my 9900 constantly corrupt. Several. I didn't put an SD card on my Q10 because I simply didn't want to deal with the errors.

I haven't got an SD card on my Note 4, my Lumia 1520, or my Passport. I simply use on board storage and that's photos and video because my media is on my iPhone.

I like the cloud option and I prefer it over an SD card or local storage to a PC. My last backup to BlackBerry sits on Link. Inaccessible.

For me the Apple solutions work best.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything that you said, and it was all correct in my opinion. The only debate that I have is this, you still will receive all of those things that you stated, "support, customer service, build quality, app quality, ecosystem, interoperability, dependability", whether you have a 32gb, 64gb, or 128gb phone. That doesn't change. Therefore with having to pay a minimum of $100 for each "upgrade" in memory, that is solely covering the cost of the memory and none of the aforementioned things. You are still paying a premium for memory. Something that costs Apple, the most expensive company in the world, pennies on the dollar. I am just saying it's out of whack. I would rather see Apple be more fair n the valuation of the memory and limit there profits there. Especially when they will make it up on the back end.

True it's an extra 100 bucks each time. But as I see it as being able to have those things for even more media so I don't begrudge the charge.

There is always the cloud option if the extra 100 is too much. For a teenager, I would say the price of the 16G is appropriate. Save to iCloud. For an adult it wouldn't be enough so the 64G at an extra 100 bucks is fair as I see it.

Perhaps we see it differently due to different habits and use cases.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This is an illogical business approach. You want Apple to take a product that sells better than any other smart phone on the market, and you want them to make the pricing more "fair" compared to what they pay to develop it? There's not a company on the planet that runs like that...not a successful one anyways.

Apple is a business...they aren't a charity. Lowering the price of their product to reflect what each and every consumer thinks is fair is a ridiculous approach to take...especially when they have found the sales success they have. We pay for the convenience of not having to develop, create, test, manufacture and support a product like the iPhone...what it costs the parent company is moot because the cost of parts is only a small % of what something ACTUALLY costs a company to sell to the consumer base.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This is an illogical business approach. You want Apple to take a product that sells better than any other smart phone on the market, and you want them to make the pricing more "fair" compared to what they pay to develop it? There's not a company on the planet that runs like that...not a successful one anyways.

Apple is a business...they aren't a charity. Lowering the price of their product to reflect what each and every consumer thinks is fair is a ridiculous approach to take...especially when they have found the sales success they have. We pay for the convenience of not having to develop, create, test, manufacture and support a product like the iPhone...what it costs the parent company is moot because the cost of parts is only a small % of what something ACTUALLY costs a company to sell to the consumer base.

Being that you've stated almost exactly what I was going to state, I'll just keep reading in silence....;)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

The argument isn't that it isn't good for them to charge as much as they can. There is no debate there. The debate is that they could prioritize having more users vs make more device money. The trend is give us less capable devices by default, push the locked in cloud and offer more device to those that can afford it. 200G is $3.99 a month! That's crazy expensive for some. Likewise the 100 for more 64g flash storage.

The reason they do charge more is because they can. If users wanted external or cheaper storage bad enough they would do it. Guess how that kind of demand gets momentum? With discussions such as this.

If we would like cheaper storage we should ask for it. Just like copy n paste, notifications, command center, extensions and on and on.

Apple apologists said we were better off without most of those things and would cite all kinds of technical, business and market reasons why we don't have them. It's all hog wash.

Fact is, many of us are still pining after many missing features that if we keep chattering about one day it may become a priority and get handled.

You say Apple isn't a charity, it's a business. Well we can be Apple customers and not be sheep. If we ask enough, they will eventually get to it.

External battery, storage and blinky lights may never see the light of day but we don't have to defend it or like it. As consumers we have a voice.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

As consumers we have a voice.

Consumers also have feet. At some point, you have to come to the realization that your wants (voiced) aren't coming - because Apple doesn't see the need or doesn't see your wants as viable and/or towards their end. You have to come to a place where you use your feet to take yourself to a product that meets your needs.

It's always the same thing with this crowd. It it's not a blinky light, it's a memory card or a new notification center or something else that y'all are incapable of letting go of.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The argument isn't that it isn't good for them to charge as much as they can. There is no debate there. The debate is that they could prioritize having more users vs make more device money. The trend is give us less capable devices by default, push the locked in cloud and offer more device to those that can afford it. 200G is $3.99 a month! That's crazy expensive for some. Likewise the 100 for more 64g flash storage.

The reason they do charge more is because they can. If users wanted external or cheaper storage bad enough they would do it. Guess how that kind of demand gets momentum? With discussions such as this.

If we would like cheaper storage we should ask for it. Just like copy n paste, notifications, command center, extensions and on and on.

Apple apologists said we were better off without most of those things and would cite all kinds of technical, business and market reasons why we don't have them. It's all hog wash.

Fact is, many of us are still pining after many missing features that if we keep chattering about one day it may become a priority and get handled.

You say Apple isn't a charity, it's a business. Well we can be Apple customers and not be sheep. If we ask enough, they will eventually get to it.

External battery, storage and blinky lights may never see the light of day but we don't have to defend it or like it. As consumers we have a voice.

Like I said before in this thread...it's funny how people guaranteed Apple would move to external storage eventually, but now the competitive manufacturers are moving away from it. Why? Because it's not going to happen.

Consumers do have a voice. Consumers need to remember that with that voice, they have to use some common sense and logic. The second part of that is what is so often forgotten when a person starts "pining", and starts complaining that these "missing" features should be included on the iPhone. It has little to nothing to do with Apple apologists, it's just common sense. Reality, if you will.

And again, how can you logically say that Apple's priorities don't include increasing their user base? They ALWAYS increase their user base...year after year after year. They give consumers what they want, and they do it while charging a price that people are obviously perfectly prepared to pay...IN DROVES.

At the end of the day, the market as a whole is moving away from external storage in this regard...Apple just happened to be ahead of the game this time. Just because a niche of the market still clamors for it doesn't mean it has any momentum (See: LED notification light from BB devices, lol).

And I have to focus in on something you said...the cost of iCloud storage is hilariously inexpensive. If you can't afford $50/year for 200GB of additional storage on top of your device investment (which transcends devices no less for eternity), why do you even own a smart phone? Such a tiny investment for almost twice the capacity of the largest storage option on the iPhone...and people complain about it? I bet you spend more charging your iPhone over a year than that costs...lol.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

This is from a article that Karen Coulter posted a while ago.

Business Models

Apple?s business model is straightforward: It aims to make the best products in the world by designing hardware, software, and services in tandem. Because Apple?s products are meaningfully different than those of its competitors, the company can charge a premium for them, which it invests into making better products. These new products are then sold at a premium, and the company then takes some of that premium to design the next generation of products. It?s a self-perpetuating cycle: The premiums from one generation of products funds the development of the next.
Over the last decade, Apple has learned how to manufacture complex products with incredible fit and finish at a scale that?s unprecedented in human history. Apple manufactured 34,000 iPhones per hour last quarter, yet iPhones feel nice in a way that few objects, manufactured at any scale, do. This is because of the way they?re made and because of the materials they?re made with.

Apple invests in manufacturing innovation and uses premium materials because its goal is to make the best phone in the world, and the nicer your iPhone feels, the better it is. Android OEMs, on the other hand, either don?t make enough money to invest in manufacturing and materials the way Apple does, or they don?t see a return that justifies the investment. iPhones are nicer than Android phones because of Apple?s business model.

http://mattrichman.net/post/115307513943/wallets-business-models-and-the-coming

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Some people complain about Apple's lack of features in comparison to its competitors. Others complain that their products are too expensive for what they offer. Both defend their opinions by saying that if they only provided what their competitors provide and drop the price a little then they can gain more customers. It's as if they are looking out for Apple's best interest when in fact they're looking out for their own. Like any successful company, Apple has invested millions into research & development and have decided on the best course of action for the goals it has set for itself. That course of action has allowed it to become the most successful company in the world and therefore, they don't need to lower prices or offer certain features in an attempt to gain more customers. Heck, as already stated, they're acquiring new customers as we speak. At this point, some will say, "look what happened to IBM or RIM. If Apple doesn't change, it too will see a similar downfall. Newsflash! Nothing and no one stays on top forever - not even Apple. A new generation of young people will likely come along and view it as the Buick of the technology world, i.e., something from their parents' and grandparents' era and then shy away from it. Anyway, my point is this: Apple does not need to incorporate every feature that its competitors have in order to be successful and gain more customers. It is the standard by which all others are compared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR