Swiftkey is better than the stock Apple Keyboard?

John105

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
SwiftKey is FREE, but it's need "Allow Full Access" in iOS.
They can trace your info like email, location, address....

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
SwiftKey is FREE, but it's need "Allow Full Access" in iOS.
They can trace your info like email, location, address....

That's not an issue. They can't function without full access. I have no problem trusting these 3rd party keyboard developers. It does revert to the stock keyboard for passwords. So then you have to trust someone at Apple. LOL! I have given more than 60 apps access to my photos. 6 apps have access to my contacts. 7 have access to my microphone. I don't worry about them and I don't worry about SwiftKey or any other keyboard I use. I use 3.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
There's even a SwiftKey forum. And for those disappointed that SwiftKey did not include the ethnic emoji, it's coming. Was not their fault.
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/202776602

I am not concerned about the ethnic emoji. But what I miss from Android is the awesome emoji prediction. So essentially you could start typing the word "banana" for example and it would drop the banana emoji in one of the 3 prediction buttons. So you really never had to open the emoji tray, it was awesome.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
According to The Verge:
The best keyboard for the iPhone | The Verge

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? It's a matter of personal preference. The inconsistencies between when a 3rd party keyboard is and is not allowed makes the whole 3rd party keyboard a non-starter for me. I am used to the stock keyboard, it works for me, so that is my preference.

Because it is a personal use issue, your opinion may be different. Not correct. Not incorrect. Just your choice.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts? It's a matter of personal preference. The inconsistencies between when a 3rd party keyboard is and is not allowed makes the whole 3rd party keyboard a non-starter for me. I am used to the stock keyboard, it works for me, so that is my preference.

Because it is a personal use issue, your opinion may be different. Not correct. Not incorrect. Just your choice.

You obviously don't have the frustrating issues with the stock keyboard that I have. I can't type a paragraph without an email address popping up in autocorrect. I deleted all my shortcuts and made new ones more difficult to accidentally pull up. I reset the keyboard dictionary in settings. They still show up. And the dark theme is easier for me to read with SwiftKey. I wish the stock keyboard worked for me.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You obviously don't have the frustrating issues with the stock keyboard that I have. I can't type a paragraph without an email address popping up in autocorrect. I deleted all my shortcuts and made new ones more difficult to accidentally pull up. I reset the keyboard dictionary in settings. They still show up. And the dark theme is easier for me to read with SwiftKey. I wish the stock keyboard worked for me.

I have to admit that I don't have these issues. Have you considered resetting the keyboard dictionary? Of course, it might be "too nuclear" of a solution for your needs.

Settings > General > Reset
Tap on Reset Keyboard Dictionary
Tap on Reset

Of course, this wipes out all of the customizations that you have added over time.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit that I don't have these issues. Have you considered resetting the keyboard dictionary? Of course, it might be "too nuclear" of a solution for your needs.

Settings > General > Reset
Tap on Reset Keyboard Dictionary
Tap on Reset

Of course, this wipes out all of the customizations that you have added over time.

Already did that. I may try deleting all my email shortcuts. But the new ones shouldn't be coming up. Still like the dark theme though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is definitely getting there. Not on par with Android yet. But it gets better and more stable with each update.

The SwiftKey app itself seems pretty stable. I really have no issues there. It's that 3rd party keyboards in general cause issues on the messages app. They also caused problems in contacts. There was no way to enter contact info with SwiftKey. The cursor jumped all over the place. But I think 8.3 fixed that. Which means it was an Apple issue. I only switch to the stock keyboard for passwords.

John105

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
That's not an issue. They can't function without full access. I have no problem trusting these 3rd party keyboard developers. It does revert to the stock keyboard for passwords. So then you have to trust someone at Apple. LOL! I have given more than 60 apps access to my photos. 6 apps have access to my contacts. 7 have access to my microphone. I don't worry about them and I don't worry about SwiftKey or any other keyboard I use. I use 3.
Depend on your just, I'm not. Apple already alerted it.
thumb_IMG_0125_1024.jpg

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was using Swiftkey for the past few days but went back to stock because sometimes it wouldn't appear in safari or the text app.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
All the 3rd party keyboards have that. Apple also puts out other notices for other uses like the microphone. It's not a big deal. I trust SwiftKey just as much as I trust Apple.

Swiftkey is quite a large company that has been doing this for a while. They have affiliations with many big names in tech. I am not sure what peoples issue is. Paranoid I guess. To each their own.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Swiftkey is quite a large company that has been doing this for a while. They have affiliations with many big names in tech. I am not sure what peoples issue is. Paranoid I guess. To each their own.

That notice Apple posted looks scary to them.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That notice Apple posted looks scary to them.

I know. People need to realize "can" and "will" are very different. One backed up account of Swiftkey stealing peoples info with bad intentions could tank the whole company. Why risk it?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know. People need to realize "can" and "will" are very different. One backed up account of Swiftkey stealing peoples info with bad intentions could tank the whole company. Why risk it?

Or "may". Your iPhone "may" catch on fire. But...