I have a iPhone 6 on 8.3 and it will not play the correct notification sound for Messages. I have it selected in the notifications sections as well as Sounds.

Can anyone shed some light on my issue? It's driven me crazy.
    04-24-2015 09:06 PM
    Have you attempted to select another notification sound, to see if that works?
    04-24-2015 09:33 PM
    I have a iPhone 6 on 8.3 and it will not play the correct notification sound for Messages. I have it selected in the notifications sections as well as Sounds.

We need a bit more information...

- Is it wrong for your general messages tone, or is it wrong for all tones (custom ones for individuals and the general one)?
    - Are you trying to use a custom message tone you CREATED or is it one of the native tones? Downloaded tone from iTunes?
    - What tone does it play in place of the tone you have it set to?

...also, have you tried a hard restart or a restore?
    xNeezzy likes this.
    04-24-2015 10:27 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but...

I just today upgraded to an iPhone 6 (old phone is a 5), and it came out of the box with iOS 8.13 and I almost immediately notice this same issue when attempting to set the Messages tone. When I select a tone to use, all is silent, but it does vibe. Testing a phone ring-tone worked. I then did two things in quick succession: I updated to 8.3 OTA, then I connected the phone to iTunes and did a restore to copy my data over from the backup of the 5 I had just completed.

I was then able to set, and hear, tones for the Messages app. I have not yet received a new Message since doing this, but it plays when I select it.

Part of the restore were not only my prior Sounds settings, but also my collection of custom ringtones.
    04-25-2015 12:21 AM
    We need a bit more information...

- Is it wrong for your general messages tone, or is it wrong for all tones (custom ones for individuals and the general one)?
    - Are you trying to use a custom message tone you CREATED or is it one of the native tones? Downloaded tone from iTunes?
    - What tone does it play in place of the tone you have it set to?

...also, have you tried a hard restart or a restore?
    The tone is only incorrect for Messages and it is tone bought from iTunes.

How do I perform a hard reset?
    04-25-2015 10:56 AM
    The tone is only incorrect for Messages and it is tone bought from iTunes.

How do I perform a hard reset?
    A hard reset is performed by holding the home button and power button down for 10sec.

My question to you was whether other custom message tones were working properly...is this a tone you have set for general messages that come through? Or is this a tone that you've applied to a specific user?

Also, since it is a custom tone you bought from iTunes, you probably need to make sure that it was actually synced properly. Sometimes message tones and ringtones purchased in iTunes can end up in limbo depending on how they were purchased and applied (this is especially common when purchasing them ON the phone and applying them in that regard to your settings).

What I would do is sync your purchases on your iTunes account on a computer, and then sync your ringtones/message tones in the same way. This will make sure that the tone actually processed properly into your settings, and then you can try to see if it stays when you select it.
    04-25-2015 12:03 PM
    A hard reset is performed by holding the home button and power button down for 10sec.

My question to you was whether other custom message tones were working properly...is this a tone you have set for general messages that come through? Or is this a tone that you've applied to a specific user?

Also, since it is a custom tone you bought from iTunes, you probably need to make sure that it was actually synced properly. Sometimes message tones and ringtones purchased in iTunes can end up in limbo depending on how they were purchased and applied (this is especially common when purchasing them ON the phone and applying them in that regard to your settings).

What I would do is sync your purchases on your iTunes account on a computer, and then sync your ringtones/message tones in the same way. This will make sure that the tone actually processed properly into your settings, and then you can try to see if it stays when you select it.
    Thanks Shaun. The hard reset worked and all is good now.
    04-25-2015 05:11 PM