Ios will not let you restore from icloud unless.......

uno47

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
NOT SO EASY to restore from icloud and not written anywhere about the problem with IOS

You can do all the backups you like on your old Iphone but if the IOS don?t much the IOS of the new Iphone it will not work unless you update the IOS of the new Iphone first.

My new Iphone was ship with IOS 8.1 and all my backups were later than 3.1 (8.3)

SIMPLE AS THAT so you cannot choose Restore from iCloud backup with a new Iphone, first you update the IOS and than reset everything and download from Icloud

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can restore from an iCloud backup to a new device unless the new device contains and older iOS version.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is not a "problem" with iOS in this regard...not even in the slightest. Backups will work perfectly fine from two different scenarios...

- Current firmware to currant firmware (IE: Backup 8.3 going to 8.3)
- Older firmware to current firmware (IE: Backup for 8.1 going to 8.3)

...the only time a backup will NOT work properly is if you're trying to apply a new firmware backup to an older firmware version, and this should be plainly obvious to even those not particularly tech savvy...would you try to apply a backup from iOS 8.3 to a phone running iOS 7? Then why would you try to do it on ANY older version of a firmware? Firmware updates are chalk full of CHANGES...these changes filter into everything from simple settings to full blown UI changes, and backups are certainly effected by such.

The beauty of the iPhone is the simplicity in which your "issue" would be handled...simply update the firmware on the new device, and then apply your backup. It doesn't get much more straight forward than that, and certainly doesn't constitute your indication that something was "wrong".

"Simple as that."

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Fortunately, since updating to the newest version of iOS is as easy as it can be, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Just update the phone first, then restore the backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711