Using the iPhone 6 as a hotspot

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So it seems that using the iPhone 6 as a hotspot seems to be quite challenging, even when I use it with Apple devices. I was using it with a blackberry device and it would take forever for the blackberry device to find it and when it do find it, the service was pathetic. When I flipped it around however and used the blackberry as the hotspot, the iPhone would immediately pick it up and usage would be exceptional. I thought it would be better if I used it with an apple device but the results were the same when I tried with an iPod.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So it seems that using the iPhone 6 as a hotspot seems to be quite challenging, even when I use it with Apple devices. I was using it with a blackberry device and it would take forever for the blackberry device to find it and when it do find it, the service was pathetic. When I flipped it around however and used the blackberry as the hotspot, the iPhone would immediately pick it up and usage would be exceptional. I thought it would be better if I used it with an apple device but the results were the same when I tried with an iPod.

Fortunately, that has not been my experience. The few devices I've connected to my iPhone via the hotspot feature has been quick to connect, and surfing the web was quite speedy. Are both devices on the same wireless carrier?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Could be your service provider. I use mine almost everyday for work and don't have any issues. I connect my iPad and windows laptop.

Have you tried a reboot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Could be your service provider. I use mine almost everyday for work and don't have any issues. I connect my iPad and windows laptop.

Have you tried a reboot?

I don't see why it would be the service provider if when I use the blackberry as the hotspot the iPhone picks it up right away.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sure if you had different providers for the devices.

Was it setup as new or from a back up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it would be the service provider if when I use the blackberry as the hotspot the iPhone picks it up right away.

Is both the Blackberry and the iPhone using the same wireless provider?

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't sure if you had different providers for the devices.

Was it setup as new or from a back up.

I have att , all I do is swap the SIM card and then I have to call my service provider to make the hotspot feature work....both devices are att

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have att , all I do is swap the SIM card and then I have to call my service provider to make the hotspot feature work....both devices are att

Was your iPhone set up as new or restored from a backup?

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I mean its not like it doesn't work when I have the iPhone as the hotspot at all but for the blackberry to actually pick it up.....lets just say it makes me not even want to use it......it takes forever to pick it up. Sometimes I have to turn on and off the hot spot on the iPhone and wifi on the blackberry several times....its more of a bother

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I mean its not like it doesn't work when I have the iPhone as the hotspot at all but for the blackberry to actually pick it up.....lets just say it makes me not even want to use it......it takes forever to pick it up. Sometimes I have to turn on and off the hot spot on the iPhone and wifi on the blackberry several times....its more of a bother

That sucks...hotspot works perfectly for me, it's almost instantaneous and all of my stuff (even my Xbox One) can connect to it without issue. The ONLY time I've ever had an issue with my hotspot acting up was in a poor cellular service area (IE: a recent trip to the island group off the coast of Georgia)...other than that, just flawless performance.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what the problem is. Really. It takes forever for the blackberry to find the iPhone....and that's with the phones side by side mind you, And when it does find it, The service is worse than the wifi you'd get at a cheap motel ....lol....but when you flip it around and use the BB as the hotspot provider, it's great service on the iPhone ....even when I try it with the iPod.....same issue....don't know .....

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Even when I've saved the hotspot on my blackberry it still won't pick it up right away and still the service is pathetic

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Even when I've saved the hotspot on my blackberry it still won't pick it up right away and still the service is pathetic

Your only option is getting a replacement really...there's no real fix here because for a vast majority of people, the iPhone's hotspot works perfectly fine.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll give it one more try today. Whenevr I swap SIM cards I have to call my provider to make the hotspot feature work, so I'll make sure I restart the phone and I'll get back on with the results later on today or tomorrow .

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Your only option is getting a replacement really...there's no real fix here because for a vast majority of people, the iPhone's hotspot works perfectly fine.

I don't have apple care and I've had it for several months alrredy so I don't know what other options I'd have to get a replacement at this point.