Using the iPhone 6 as a hotspot

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Cool. So going back to my att store won't cut it. ....guess ill have to google a local Apple Store here.....thanks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Cool. So going back to my att store won't cut it. ....guess ill have to google a local Apple Store here.....thanks.

You can certainly try AT&T, but most times, unless it's something they cover under their "insurance" (which is a joke in my opinion), they'll end up sending you to Apple anyways because what you're experiencing isn't really any of their concern.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple Store. Make an appointment via the web or Apple Store app and they will help you with your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
This won't really help you but I've been nothing but impressed by it when I've used it. Really quick and solid and always remembers my connection. Connects within 1-2 seconds of turning hotspot on and never disconnected.

Are you having problems whilst in the same location? Perhaps there's some kind of interference with the wireless channel it's using that is conflicting with your own router or other devices.

Try it whilst connected to a friends router and see if it works better then your will know for sure.

Also are you using a dual band router a the time, 5Ghz Frequency network? - 5Ghz frequency routers have many more channels to use so isolate a lot of interference from other routers and electronic devices.

You can try it without being near a router just using mobile data on your iPhone then you eliminate the router. Go up the end of the garden and see how your iPad or laptop connects to your iPhone etc without your iphone being connected to your router.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that if I have 2 bars on my phone ( or should I say 2 dots) of signal, and I'm trying to get my hotspot to work, the other phone won't pick it up.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that if I have 2 bars on my phone ( or should I say 2 dots) of signal, and I'm trying to get my hotspot to work, the other phone won't pick it up.

Yeah sometimes if your iPhone only has a couple of bars then data is slow anyways. The rule is if your iphone has data and can use the web then the hotspot device will be fine also.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No I mean the hotspot name which you can change. The default one won't work.

Sorry I'm confused....

You are using your iPhone as a personal hotspot aren't you?

How are you changing the name of the hotspot? There's no way of changing the iPhone's hotspot name as it uses the iPhone's Device Name... You have to change the iPhone's device name such as Darran's iPhone

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No I mean the hotspot name which you can change. The default one won't work.

I presume you are getting confused with the difference between hotspot name and hotspot wifi password!

The only way to change the hotspot name in iOS is to change the name of the iOS device as I mentioned, for example "Darran's iPhone".

I suspect you are referring to the Hotspot Wifi Password and not the hotspot name. The hotspot name is what is displayed when searching wifi networks to connect to from the device you'd like to use. The Hotspot Wifi Password which is editable within personal hotspot settings is just the password you choose and then enter on the other device to authenticate the connection.

By default the hotspot password is usually quite secure so people tend to enter the wrong case or mistake an "I" (capital i) for an "l" (lowercase L). This is usually why they struggle to connect assuming their carrier hasn't restricted the use of personal hotspot tethering. By changing the hotspot wifi password to something more familiar you eliminate an incorrectly entered password which I suspect was the case for you? Glad you're up and running now though!

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I meant that you change the device name which changes the name of the hotspot. Before I did that I could never connect to hotspot I made with this phone. After the change I never have had problems.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I meant that you change the device name which changes the name of the hotspot. Before I did that I could never connect to hotspot I made with this phone. After the change I never have had problems.

I bet it was due to your device you're using to connect had the credentials on your old iPhone saved but the device names were the same! For example if you have an iphone names Paul's iPhone and you connect to it from another device then get a new iPhone also names Paul's iPhone but with a different default hotspot password the device you're using caches the original password and presumes it's the same device. By changing the device name you have just triggered your other device to think it's a new connection. Try forgetting or removing any saved wifi networks in your other device if it happens again and then it will forget the original password.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2