3rd party keyboards

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
What if any drawbacks are there to using 3rd party keyboards ?

Using SwiftKey atm. After the 8.3 update they perform better I think. No problems so far. Only draw back is can't change the face colour from the emoji section in this keyboard

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
None really. Before 8.3 they used to revert back to stock keyboard automatically sometimes. Haven't yet seen that on 8.3.
For example with SwiftKey you can write a lot faster with one hand only. With stock it is slower.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Update: 3dt party keyboards still have problems in 8.3. Sometimes laggy appearance and sometimes won't show at all. It is recognized problem and gets fixed in future. I think.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use 3 3rd party keyboards. SwiftKey is my go to for typing. It's great. The other 2 are utility keyboards. Kuaiboard and Symbols. The only issue I have is the messages app freezes up occasionally. Not near as often on 8.3 as it used to. Also the keyboard sometimes vanishes on the messages app. Both issues are quickly fixed by swiping the messages app out of the multitasking tray. But SwiftKey works great now. It seems to be smarter than the stock keyboard. IMO!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
none, apple's keyboard is enough
Maybe for you. But not for me. I prefer the dark theme of SwiftKey. And the stock keyboard keeps popping up email addresses that is annoying. And the predictive words on the stock keyboard are hard to read. The low contrast is horrible for us old geezers.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Crimson on and off (mostly off). It's okay but nothing to write home about. It doesn't come up like it should a good majority of the time. If anything I think I'm slower on it and it's a but cumbersome at times. When you're at the end of a sentence, you have to backspace to enter a period otherwise there will be a space between the period and the last word. Also the suggested words are way too small imo. I haven't tried swiftkey or any others.

John105

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I love SwipeKeys keyboard, friendly and elegant themes, supper security without 'Allow Full Access'. Specially support many awesome typefaces.
Apple still don't permit play touch sound without 'Allow full Access', they don't permit 3rd-party-keyboard access dictation key.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I used Swype for a bit when that was released for iOS, but more often than not felt more annoyed by that keyboard especially when compared to the stock iOS option. I generally just stick with the stock one due to familiarity etc. Though when I occasionally go through one of my Android "phases" I always use Swype.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner