Brand new to iPhone - need calendar/notification help

EchoOne30

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

Currently a week or so in with my first iphone. I was on windows phone for the last several years. I am loving the transition and the platform so far, however I'm having an issue with the calendar and notifications.

For example, when a calendar reminder came up on WP, it wasn't going anywhere until you either hit snooze or dismiss. It stays right there and you can't even use your phone. With the iphone, if you touch away anywhere it disappears. And snooze doesn't work. I've yet to have a calendar reminder come back after I hit snooze. Is this a bug, or is it just the way it is?

Also, in windows phone, when you had items in your pull down notification thing, there was an icon at the top letting you know something was there. However in the iphone there's nothing like that. I could have a thousand things there and there's nothing telling me. Unless I have a setting turned off somewhere?

My questions are:

1) Is my calendar reminder box bugged or is it working as intended?

2) Does anyone have a robust reminder system that they use? I depend on mine for both work and my own business, I need something that can alert me and not go away when 'snooz'ed.

3) Is there a way to know if there are items in the pull down thing, or should I just get in the habit of checking all the time to see?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Currently a week or so in with my first iphone. I was on windows phone for the last several years. I am loving the transition and the platform so far, however I'm having an issue with the calendar and notifications.

For example, when a calendar reminder came up on WP, it wasn't going anywhere until you either hit snooze or dismiss. It stays right there and you can't even use your phone. With the iphone, if you touch away anywhere it disappears. And snooze doesn't work. I've yet to have a calendar reminder come back after I hit snooze. Is this a bug, or is it just the way it is?

Also, in windows phone, when you had items in your pull down notification thing, there was an icon at the top letting you know something was there. However in the iphone there's nothing like that. I could have a thousand things there and there's nothing telling me. Unless I have a setting turned off somewhere?

My questions are:

1) Is my calendar reminder box bugged or is it working as intended?
Go to Settings - Notifications and then select "Calendar". Make changes where you see fit.
2) Does anyone have a robust reminder system that they use? I depend on mine for both work and my own business, I need something that can alert me and not go away when 'snooz'ed.
Check out the iMore Blogs review of various Reminder apps via the following link.

http://www.imore.com/tag/reminder-apps

A review of calendar app can be found via the below link:

http://www.imore.com/best-calendar-apps-iphone

3) Is there a way to know if there are items in the pull down thing, or should I just get in the habit of checking all the time to see?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
if you have "Alert" enabled in the notification settings then yes because they will not go away until you take some sort of action.

EchoOne30

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings - Notifications and then select "Calendar". Make changes where you see fit.
Check out the iMore Blogs review of various Reminder apps via the following link.

A review of calendar app can be found via the below link:

if you have "Alert" enabled in the notification settings then yes because they will not go away until you take some sort of action.

This is perfect, thank you for the links

joshredraider

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am also about to make the switch to iPhone from Windows Phone. I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I have a somewhat related question. Does iPhone have any built in option to read and allow replies to text messages over Bluetooth? I really love how WP handles that and lets me be truly hands free but remain productive while driving around.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am also about to make the switch to iPhone from Windows Phone. I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I have a somewhat related question. Does iPhone have any built in option to read and allow replies to text messages over Bluetooth? I really love how WP handles that and lets me be truly hands free but remain productive while driving around.

Yes, via Continuity. ;)

joshredraider

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
In reading more about Continuity, it looks like those things work between other Apple products, but you are saying it also 'hands off' messages to other Bluetooth devices such as my car's Bluetooth, or my Bluetooth headphones?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
In use Siri for that. You can just ask Siri to read your messages or you dictate a message to her to send.

joshredraider

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
So, when I'm driving in my car, as long as the iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, when a text message comes in, Siri will automatically kick in and read the message to me, then ask if/what I want to reply, all without having to touch the phone? This is the specific functionality I am asking about.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, when I'm driving in my car, as long as the iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, when a text message comes in, Siri will automatically kick in and read the message to me, then ask if/what I want to reply, all without having to touch the phone? This is the specific functionality I am asking about.

No. Siri will not "automatically" read your message(s), however, if you have the device plugged in to your car's accessories port AND have "Hey Siri" enabled on your device, you can ask Siri to read your message(s) without having to "touch the phone".

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorganNelson