Why is a email mass delete not available

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
set up the new iPhone 6 and since I leave all emails on the server I was hit with a big surprise. My phone downloaded every email on the server. All 3916 of them. Two words Apple, Mass Delete. In this day of unending useless spam and mind numbing junk mail, how can you not provide a way to mass delete hundreds of messages at once. Blackberry can do it!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Go into settings and under email change your how many days to sync to whatever you want. That should fix the issue for you I hope

Sent from my  iPhone 6 Plus

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't fix the issue.The problem is that the phone downloads every single message on the server. Since I don't dump messages off the server the phone gets every one. I did a work around by removing the messages from the server but, Why would you not have a way to remove messages in big numbers instead of one at a time? Kind of a waste of time, Mine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's that big of a deal, go buy a Blackberry...you can take solace in knowing you were on the titanic when it went down!

What HAWK suggested to you does in fact fix the issue though since it prevents ancient emails from syncing to the device beyond a point you preset when setting up the mailbox...unless of course you get 3,000 emails in a week, not sure how the suggestion wouldn't fix "the problem".

Or you could clean out your inbox like most people do. Who knows...logic and all...it's so much easier to blame Apple for your problem, right? DOWN WITH APPLE! WHY DOESN'T MY IPHONE MAKE ME WAFFLES ON DEMAND!?

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
If it's that big of a deal, go buy a Blackberry...you can take solace in knowing you were on the titanic when it went down!

What HAWK suggested to you does in fact fix the issue though since it prevents ancient emails from syncing to the device beyond a point you preset when setting up the mailbox...unless of course you get 3,000 emails in a week, not sure how the suggestion wouldn't fix "the problem".

Or you could clean out your inbox like most people do. Who knows...logic and all...it's so much easier to blame Apple for your problem, right? DOWN WITH APPLE! WHY DOESN'T MY IPHONE MAKE ME WAFFLES ON DEMAND!?
It's refreshing to know that this site has it's own brand of DH! Just like most tech sites. The sync was set for 2 weeks. I leave emails on the server as a "just in case". If I had an Android device I guess I would call it an Android problem but, since it's an iPhone, yea, I kinda think it's an Apple problem. Having to delete emails by tapping each one individually instead of say, i don't know, perhaps a day is not exactly an efficient use of one persons time. Thanks for weighing in. Next time I need a does of useless sarcasm i'll look you up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's refreshing to know that this site has it's own brand of DH! Just like most tech sites. The sync was set for 2 weeks. I leave emails on the server as a "just in case". If I had an Android device I guess I would call it an Android problem but, since it's an iPhone, yea, I kinda think it's an Apple problem. Having to delete emails by tapping each one individually instead of say, i don't know, perhaps a day is not exactly an efficient use of one persons time. Thanks for weighing in. Next time I need a does of useless sarcasm i'll look you up.

Don't get upset or annoyed. Apple, for whatever reason, has chosen to have it that way. We can either deal with it or install a third party Mail app that may allow for mass deletion. You've already left feedback at Apple's website, right? Well, wait for a response and/or changes in the form of a future iOS update.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't get upset or annoyed. Apple, for whatever reason, has chosen to have it that way. We can either deal with it or install a third party Mail app that may allow for mass deletion. You've already left feedback at Apple's website, right? Well, wait for a response and/or changes in the form of a future iOS update.

This really is not a matter of annoyed or upset at apple. It was posed as question. That question got exactly 2 suggestions. More importantly was the response laced with sarcasm. You can do a mass delete on Google, Yahoo, Outlook, BB and yet the response was more of a why would anyone have a use for such a tool. I wasn't asking to have emails delivered on Tuesdays after 4 pm to be deleted at once.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This really is not a matter of annoyed or upset at apple. It was posed as question. That question got exactly 2 suggestions. More importantly was the response laced with sarcasm. You can do a mass delete on Google, Yahoo, Outlook, BB and yet the response was more of a why would anyone have a use for such a tool. I wasn't asking to have emails delivered on Tuesdays after 4 pm to be deleted at once.

I understand, but unless someone here works for Apple, I doubt the question can be answered in a matter of fact manner. It is what it is, and many of us would also like to see a mass delete option, however, until the time comes when the option is available, we adjust as best as we can. As for sarcasm, there will always be a percentage of sarcastic remarks in a tech forum, whether deserving or not. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend...;)

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, as noted above, no one here can answer the "why" questions. Only Apple can answer "why".

People can suggest alternatives, but the question you asked was "why" it was that way.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
set up the new iPhone 6 and since I leave all emails on the server I was hit with a big surprise. My phone downloaded every email on the server. All 3916 of them. Two words Apple, Mass Delete. In this day of unending useless spam and mind numbing junk mail, how can you not provide a way to mass delete hundreds of messages at once. Blackberry can do it!

Just 3916 emails? That's not too bad. : )

9f186babd1da69a00925c290299be825.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Heck, that's nothing. Check this out.

20130922_160210000_iOS.jpg

Thankfully, it ended up being a server glitch and cleared itself. But I did use the "Mark All As Read" feature to try to clear them.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you even look at your emails? LOL Good luck removing them one at a time. I have heard there is a way to do it if you have an IMAP account. sadly the one account with the issue is a POP3 account. Oh well...

I'll do a mass selection on my Mac and clean it out eventually. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psiu_glen

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Be happy -- I've been on WP since Verizon got it (early 2011?) and it handles mass deletion quite well. Of course, MS is basically throwing away *everything* and dumping desktop Windows onto phones later this year. Along with some random "let's copy Android and maybe Apple" moments, but never the ones that matter. Guarantee there is a MS exec pounding a table in meetings somewhere saying "You can't mass delete emails on the iPhone! That's why the users are staying there!" :p

/rabble rant rave

//slinks back off to look for iPod Touch refresh info for the wife

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice