Something Andoid/WP do better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Having used my iPhone for a few weeks, I feel from a usability/durability standpoint, the Home button (and any new buttons) should be a capacitive/non mechanical. Not sure if the fingerprint sensor can be integrated into such a button, but it would be a much better solution if it could. No moving part to wear, one less place for dirt to work its way into the phone, and it would just work better, IMO.

A dedicated search button beside the Home button would also eliminate the need to long-press to bring up Siri and would encourage more usage of Siri as she could be activated quicker. Adding a multitasking button would eliminate the double press and allow faster switching between apps.

I understand that putting 3 buttons on the face might go against some perception of simplicity, but if it works better and speeds things up, why not?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No thanks. The iPhone is fine as it is. It doesn't need to be more like those other platforms...which are not better in my opinion...they're different. And different is good.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
No thanks. The iPhone is fine as it is. It doesn't need to be more like those other platforms...which are not better in my opinion...they're different. And different is good.

I wasn't eluding to the notion that the other platforms are "better" but my observation is that they do perform better in regards to these specific functions.

Out of curiosity, do you have specific reasons for being against these additions? Honest question, not trolling.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Those additions are not needed on iPhones. Because if people wish those features, they can get them on those other phones. The iPhone is everything I need, and works fine for me as it is.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Those additions are not needed on iPhones. Because if people wish those features, they can get them on those other phones. The iPhone is everything I need, and works fine for me as it is.

You could apply that logic to the silent/vibrate switch. Doesn't really have a need to exist because you could simply hold the volume keys down until it switched to silent mode. Would you be somewhat irritated if Apple removed it in the next hardware revision? My take of the switch is that it adds convenience and speeds up the selection of the function. Same applies here with face buttons. It is true that you can over complicate something if you go blindly adding things without direction, but I only see positives to these changes.

In time, features you don't currently have will be included in both the hardware and software. Things will change even though what you have today works for you. I respect your opinion, of course :)

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't eluding to the notion that the other platforms are "better" but my observation is that they do perform better in regards to these specific functions.

Out of curiosity, do you have specific reasons for being against these additions? Honest question, not trolling.

Hmmm I agree with krh. I was a avid Android user since the htc hero and Samsung moment which were my first two androids.

Yes I miss having the menu and search buttons at the bottom but at times they would go unresponsive. You also have to think about the amount of functions you have already with just the 1 button (which are most of the necessities) compared to the 3 most androids have.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Space~G using Tapatalk

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Different is definitely good. Its great to have choices. Keeps competition and innovation healthy.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm I agree with krh. I was a avid Android user since the htc hero and Samsung moment which were my first two androids.

Yes I miss having the menu and search buttons at the bottom but at times they would go unresponsive. You also have to think about the amount of functions you have already with just the 1 button (which are most of the necessities) compared to the 3 most androids have.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Space~G using Tapatalk

Are you sure the buttons were the problem or Android itself being hung, rendering the buttons useless? The reason I ask is that I used a WP for two years and never had that problem with its three capacitive buttons. When my computer hangs up for whatever reason, the keyboard/mouse may also cease to function. My iPhones Home button has failed to wake the phone on the first press on more than one occasion. I chalk it up to a software issue because I've read about others having the same problem.

Yes, the Home button provides most of the functionality of three separate buttons, but this simplicity comes at the cost of speed/ease of use. You admit yourself that you miss the extra buttons. If they could be added to the iPhone and work reliably, you'd want them, right?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I like the iPhone just how it is. If I could change one thing about it though, it would be to slim down the bezels.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the design of the iPhone best out of all my devices. Which is the reason it's my daily driver.
I would not change the buttons. It works fine for me.
As far as aesthetics, it's an iconic design. Leave it be, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't like the physical button on my iPad. It feels clunky and dated.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would love to have a dedicated search button, camera button on the iPhone. I am all about having the best device. Thou some may say they like the iPhone just the way it is made, if they did add features like this, the same people would be all for it.

If windows phone had more apps and better devices, it would be almost a no compromise device. The iPhone does have compromises but, it has the least right now over all other devices imho. I would be all for improving the iphone

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
My favourite part of android as of last week is the way it slides across the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
A physical home button is one of my favorite things about the iPhone. I could deal with the home button not being physical but in no way would I want it surrounded by two other buttons. Too many accidental hits and overall clunkiness. I find bringing down Spotlight a much more practical way of universal searching on the phone and quite frankly I think the shortcut to Siri right now is easier than tapping a search button because the tap of a search button would probably also entail a long press for Siri.

And I'd really hate not having a switch for Sound/Vibrate. Using my volume keys to get to silent isn't as convenient as reaching into my pocket and just using the switch without even having to bring my phone out.

These are not things that Android and Windows Phone do better.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, You are on the right track but so far off as well.

With the 6plus and reachability. To me, it seems apple is testing the capacitive button world.

Although instead of having 3 separate buttons all we would need is one capacitive home button.

3 gestures to get what we need.

1. Long press to bring up siri.
2. Single click to go back to the home screen.
3. double tap/triple tap to either bring up multitasking or reachability.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
And I'd really hate not having a switch for Sound/Vibrate. Using my volume keys to get to silent isn't as convenient as reaching into my pocket and just using the switch without even having to bring my phone out.

These are not things that Android and Windows Phone do better.

I don't want the silent switch to go away. I was using its removal as an example/counter argument with kch.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I would love to have a dedicated search button, camera button on the iPhone. I am all about having the best device. Thou some may say they like the iPhone just the way it is made, if they did add features like this, the same people would be all for it.

And by Apple leaving it like it is (and has been for 8 iterations), they would find many all for it. No need to "fix" what isn't broken.

BTW, I've been using an HTC Desire (610) and a Moto Droid 3 to test an app that we are working on for both iOS and Android. After about a week, I still find the inconsistencies in button design across the Android devices confusing. So in that regard, I'm still looking to see what Android does better. From where I sit, that's not snarky, it's simply fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen