Just because Android hardware manufacturers took a decent idea and screwed it up across device iterations doesn't Apple would make the same mistake. Apple prides itself on style after all. If they adopted a 3 button config, I'm sure its design/execution would be the same across their whole line up.
    But why even mess with it? It's not necessary. Therefore, it won't happen, IMO.
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-22-2015 05:13 PM
    The way the iPhone is currently is what I like. Whatever changes they make in the future as far as controls I will probably accept because iOS is what I like to use.

The Home button has transformed since 2007 and still has the same size and shape. Apple has taken this button and added to it with a security feature a app payment feature and now a mobile payment feature and Siri and reachability and still does its basic function.

So they stacked five things on this one button.
    I say its innovative because the only thing that's physical is the button itself.

It reminds me of a aspect in the audio recording world where you have physical controls stacked on each other so there is easy access to similar functions or functions that work together.
    With the iPhone Home button you have easy access to very dissimilar non physical functions based on how you touch it or manipulate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iEd; 02-22-2015 at 07:09 PM.
    kch50428 and nikkisharif like this.
    02-22-2015 06:52 PM
    I don't think you will ever see Apple break away from the solo circle button I can't see it

02-22-2015 07:32 PM
    I would love to have a dedicated search button, camera button on the iPhone. I am all about having the best device. Thou some may say they like the iPhone just the way it is made, if they did add features like this, the same people would be all for it.

If windows phone had more apps and better devices, it would be almost a no compromise device. The iPhone does have compromises but, it has the least right now over all other devices imho. I would be all for improving the iphone
    How well do you know me to know what I would buy or how I would react? I've left Windows for BlackBerry and Blackberry for iPhone. If iPhone did something I did not agree with, depending on the issue, I could leave it.

Please don't profess to know what I would do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-22-2015 07:50 PM
    I would like to see the "hey siri" hotword be available from any screen like "OK google" is for Android

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    02-22-2015 08:08 PM
    There's no need for Apple to"fix" what ain't broke. That's the whole point... You think Apple needs to do something... Well, then... tell'em... Apple - Feedback ...campaining for it here is a half step above pointless...
    Actually, I did. Was I wrong in thinking ideas could be discussed here? If you took my initial post as a complaint, you're mistaken. My post was an observation and my own personal feelings regarding the iPhone after a few weeks usage. I simply was curious if others felt the same. This doesn't mean I hate the phone, iOS or Apple products in general. Truth is, I like the phone and happy I bought it. In using the phone and having experience with other phones, I came to the conclusion that the singular button for all functions could be improved on. This is just one area I feel the phone is lacking. You don't agree, thats fine.
    Last edited by denzilla; 02-22-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    02-22-2015 09:27 PM
    Actually, I did. Was I wrong in thinking ideas could be discussed here? If you took my initial post as a complaint, you're mistaken. My post was an observation and my own personal feelings regarding the iPhone after a few weeks usage. I simply was curious if others felt the same. This doesn't mean I hate the phone, iOS or Apple products in general. Truth is, I like the phone and happy I bought it. In using the phone and having experience with other phones, I came to the conclusion that the singular button for all functions could be improved on. This is just one area I feel the phone is lacking. You don't agree, thats fine.
    But the thing is, if you start adding buttons then it becomes a Samsung Galaxy or Note with its physical buttons and on screen buttons. So it's copying them. ŁOr worse still, it becomes a BlackBerry with a "tool belt."

I don't want the minimalistic design to change. The one button works fine for me.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 04:40 AM
    What I miss on my iPhone that my Android phones have is the back button. I can open an app from a notification and then simply press the back button once or twice to go right back to the app I was in previously.

I don't know how many times I tap to the right of the home button on my iPhone a few times and then realize I am using the iPhone and not my Note 4.
    02-23-2015 05:07 AM
    The home button is one of the key distinctions of the iPhone. It’s one of two solid controls that give you a feeling of power, a tangible sensation, over a device that is otherwise completely touch-based and software-heavy. Google and Microsoft know that too, which is why they compensate this loss with haptic feedback (soft vibrations, sometimes tones). You will also rarely accidentally press on the home button, but there is ample room for unintended touches on virtual buttons. No, I am not impressed.
    02-23-2015 06:35 AM
    I did. Was I wrong in thinking ideas could be discussed here?
    Not at all.
    I came to the conclusion that the singular button for all functions could be improved on. This is just one area I feel the phone is lacking. You don't agree, thats fine.
    There comes a point where you should realize your conclusion isn't widely shared - and you don't agree with ones that don't agree with you...which is fine too.

Why do you have a phone that you feel is lacking in this, and apparently other areas anyway? After all, it is your assertion, "This is just one area I feel the phone is lacking." - so why have a device that is lacking?
    Last edited by kch50428; 02-23-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typos
    BreakingKayfabe and hydrogen3 like this.
    02-23-2015 07:19 AM
    No thanks. The home button already has both physical and capacitive touch actions associated with it. Removing the physical button would require removing some of the actions that its used for. The only way to make up for it is by adding extra buttons, and that would be just plain ugly.
    02-23-2015 10:34 AM
    I don't believe the iPhone is " lacking" in any area.
    Personally if a tool has features that I desire I'll use that tool.
    I won't say a S5 or Note 4 is lacking because it doesn't have Touch ID or good Touch ID or a home button. Same for a Windows Phone.
    These devices just don't have what I desire or what I like.
    I won't buy a device wishing it had features that another device has I would just buy that device.

kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 02:42 PM
    Jeebus....I didn't create this thread in hopes of it becoming a competition that I somehow needed to win. Again, I posted my personal observation and wondered if others felt the same. Why did I get this phone if it was lacking?......Well show me a phone that isn't lacking in one way or another. I won't go Android because you're basically becoming Google's data if you do, then you have Android's malicious app problems. I left Windows Phone because of lack of support in apps/accessories and most importantly, the complete lack of a real flagship model this year. My iPhone has been great so far and once again, I am not sorry for getting it. If iPhones end up with more buttons, great. If not, doesn't matter.

I think its time to close and possibly delete this thread.
    02-23-2015 04:17 PM
    Jeebus....I didn't create this thread in hopes of it becoming a competition that I somehow needed to win. Again, I posted my personal observation and wondered if others felt the same. Why did I get this phone if it was lacking?......Well show me a phone that isn't lacking in one way or another. I won't go Android because you're basically becoming Google's data if you do, then you have Android's malicious app problems. I left Windows Phone because of lack of support in apps/accessories and most importantly, the complete lack of a real flagship model this year. My iPhone has been great so far and once again, I am not sorry for getting it. If iPhones end up with more buttons, great. If not, doesn't matter.

I think its time to close and possibly delete this thread.
    So you posted your thoughts on the matter, and now you don't want anyone else posting theirs. At all? Or just in "your" thread?

You have stated several times that you don't want to argue, yet you continue to argue/lobby for your viewpoint. See, that's kind of the point of a "discussion" forum. You have your say. Others have theirs.

Now you want to just make it all go away? Again, that's not really how it works.

And to answer your question ("wondered if others felt the same"), apparently not many do. But again, you are entitled to your opinion. And others are entitled to either agree or disagree.
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 04:23 PM
    It's fine to think the iPhone needs something that fits your preferences better...but keep in mind you DID ask for opinions, and because of that, you're going to get some pretty obvious pro-Apple opinions (IE: it's fine the way it is...which is how I feel too). Capacitive buttons are fine and all, but to be honest, after using the iPhone for so many years, I like the mechanical nature of the home button...I like the feedback myself, so I prefer to have it there.

If Apple goes a different direction in the future...like they did with these larger screened devices we see now...then I'll offer my opinion at that point, but as it stands, I'm fine the way it is and actually prefer it that way.
    02-23-2015 04:24 PM
    The best feature that I like about the iPhone that I feel no one comes close to is the support.
    Once you buy one no matter if it's off contract, on contract,leased Verizon,Sprint or AT&T whatever you don't have to deal with the carrier for service on the device.
    The peace of mind you get with a iPhone.

kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 04:51 PM
    No thanks. The iPhone is fine as it is. It doesn't need to be more like those other platforms...which are not better in my opinion...they're different. And different is good.
    That's what they said about larger screens too and look at the iPhone now.....
    denzilla likes this.
    02-23-2015 05:40 PM
    Apple will stick what it's doing not,only because it works... They have the patents on it... Those other buttons would have to be licensed from the competition... So y'all that are pining away for Apple to change... Guess what... It ain't gonna happen.
    02-23-2015 05:46 PM
    Apple will stick what it's doing not,only because it works... They have the patents on it... Those other buttons would have to be licensed from the competition... So y'all that are pining away for Apple to change... Guess what... It ain't gonna happen.
    They will change if they feel there is a demand. Just like the larger screen. Apple fans were adamant that a 4" screen was perfectly fine. Then they all scrambled to buy the larger screens when they were released.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    ritesh and denzilla like this.
    02-23-2015 07:26 PM
    So you posted your thoughts on the matter, and now you don't want anyone else posting theirs. At all? Or just in "your" thread?

You have stated several times that you don't want to argue, yet you continue to argue/lobby for your viewpoint. See, that's kind of the point of a "discussion" forum. You have your say. Others have theirs.

Now you want to just make it all go away? Again, that's not really how it works.

And to answer your question ("wondered if others felt the same"), apparently not many do. But again, you are entitled to your opinion. And others are entitled to either agree or disagree.
    I got no problem with your or anyone else's opinion. That's kinda why I posted the thread. I'm fine with the thread sticking around. I shouldn't have put that last line in my previous post. It's just the more I read kch's posts, the more I feel like he's trying to bait me into some sort of pissing match and it's well.....pissing me off.
    02-23-2015 07:55 PM
    I've known Keith here for quite a while. It's not my place to speak for him. But I don't think he's baiting you or anyone else into anything.

If it bugs you that much, be the bigger man and just walk away. Self control.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1 - you know, the version BEFORE they totally borked the app.
    02-23-2015 08:08 PM
    Just stating my opinion...
    02-23-2015 08:28 PM
    Some of us are more deliberate with the delivery of our opinions here. No one (the regulars) aren't trying to bait you into anything. We just believe in having challenging discussion and debates here. And sometimes a "the way it is is fine" is answer enough for things that aren't worth debating.
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 08:40 PM
    Just stating my opinion...
    And, as we all learned in another thread, even Mods are entitled to their opinions.
    kch50428 likes this.
    02-23-2015 09:07 PM

If it bugs you that much, be the bigger man and just walk away. Self control.
    Thanks for that. It's giving me the confidence I need to go on with life.
    02-23-2015 10:29 PM
104 1234 ...