icloud or computer? And why? Any differences?
    02-14-2015 08:00 PM
    Both. In case one fails, you have something to fall back on.
    02-14-2015 08:03 PM
    My husband has a Macbook Pro from 2011 and his hard drive crashed.
    He had been adamant about not backing up to icloud and only backing up to his computer... You can imagine that now, he's suddenly become a huge fan of icloud back up, lol. He's lost a ton of things which he cannot retrieve.
    Live and learn.

As for me, since coming back to Apple, I have discovered something very simple:
    If you set up your Apple devices to work as Apple intended them to, they really do work like a charm.
    In my case, this meant buying more icloud storage space, but it was cheap and I'm glad I did.
    I also set up automatic back ups because I'm a noodle head who keeps forgetting.

And I do not have any problems with either my Macbook Air or any of my other devices. Life is good.
    kch50428 and Edmilan like this.
    02-14-2015 08:42 PM
    Both. In case one fails, you have something to fall back on.
    I do the same.
    02-15-2015 04:13 AM
    iCloud. My windows laptop was such a chore to use that I rarely ever hooked up my iPhone to sync. I'm getting a MacBook Air at the end of the month so I guess that I'll sync it more often.

However iCloud is so convenient. You don't even have to remember to do it. It just does it automatically.
    Edmilan and leannelizabeth1 like this.
    02-15-2015 04:18 AM
    I use iCloud for backups, but I do use iTunes occasionally just so I have a physical backup on a disc
    02-15-2015 03:43 PM
    I sync with iTunes only. I have synced with iClouds before but rarely because I don't have wifi.
    02-15-2015 03:48 PM
    iCloud both phone and iPad. People still use pc's? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-15-2015 08:55 PM
    Both iPhone and iPad backup to iCloud regularly. I make it a point to do a full encrypted backup of both to my MacBook at least once a month. Two is one, one is none, right?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    02-16-2015 08:01 AM
    I backup and restore on both but prefer iTunes because it's easier to sync all my music library since I don't stream.
    Cleveland likes this.
    02-16-2015 11:31 AM
    Both, just to paranoid.
    02-16-2015 12:33 PM
    Like the others, I back up to both and manually "sync" to iTunes on occasion. Why? Various reasons including being able to quickly get a new device up and running and to be able to restore something that I might have deleted by mistake.
    02-16-2015 01:12 PM
    Is icloud sinc as complete as itunes? I thought that only itunes sinc was totally complete, making the real backup of the whole data from iphone/ipad... what do you say?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
    02-16-2015 08:34 PM
    Sync is Apps and multimedia files... Backups are settings, documents, app data, photos. I believe Backups are the same data to iCloud and iTunes on computer.
    Edmilan likes this.
    02-16-2015 08:52 PM
    Use both.
    02-16-2015 09:07 PM
    I can't imagine how long would it take to backup gigs of photo and mp3 files to cloud storage, with connection upload only 1 Mbps ? Hmm .....
    02-16-2015 09:59 PM
    Both but iCloud is a lot more frequent
    02-17-2015 01:52 PM
    iCloud because I don't have the patience to use a PC

02-17-2015 08:26 PM
    I sync my photos and some app data with icloud and my whole phone with my pc.

I also use dropbox and onedrive to keep an extra backup of my photos.
    02-18-2015 07:23 AM
    Both but I prefer having my Apps on my computer this way I control my Apps and media, especially after hearing from many people that Apple took down Apps they owned from the App Store, also there are new complaints of People who paid for Apps then the App disappeared for a week from the App Store and when it came back it was under a different developer name and they couldn't install without paying again so not to get into a weird situation like that I bought a 3Tera external hard drive, got my iTunes running on it perfectly.
    Also restoring from the iCloud backup is only possible after doing a complete restore on your iDevice but with iTunes no restoring of the device needed for restoring any of the backups that you got saved.

02-18-2015 07:16 PM
    Sync is Apps and multimedia files... Backups are settings, documents, app data, photos. I believe Backups are the same data to iCloud and iTunes on computer.
    This is what I was wondering as well. I was under the impression that an iTunes backup backed up the entire phone as s carbon copy. And that iCloud backup only backed up certainty things..
    02-20-2015 05:29 AM
    This is what I was wondering as well. I was under the impression that an iTunes backup backed up the entire phone as s carbon copy. And that iCloud backup only backed up certainty things..
    iTunes and iCloud include the same things. Neither backs up the apps themselves. Just data associated with those apps unless the developer has marked that data to not be backed up (like cached documents from Dropbox which can be retrieved again later). So photos in your camera roll, messages, app data, etc are the things that are backed up whether it is iTunes or iCloud.
    kch50428 and Chrisy like this.
    02-20-2015 08:36 AM
    I thought this as well.

My phone does a backup to iCloud on its own and I do an occasional hookup to iTunes through my laptop. I also have a Time Capsule which keeps everything.
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-20-2015 08:37 AM
    Back up to both. Should never have a single point of failure.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-20-2015 03:01 PM
    iTunes and iCloud include the same things. Neither backs up the apps themselves. Just data associated with those apps unless the developer has marked that data to not be backed up (like cached documents from Dropbox which can be retrieved again later). So photos in your camera roll, messages, app data, etc are the things that are backed up whether it is iTunes or iCloud.
    I see the apps I have on iTunes. When I do a restore (starting with the phone as new) from there it loads my apps. Isn't that backing them up?
    02-20-2015 04:02 PM
38 12