Why do people Jailbreak their i-Devices?

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
All,

Why do people Jailbreak their mobile? My buddy did his iPhone 6 Plus and keeps telling me I have to. I really don't see a big gain out of it.

A.B.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why do people Jailbreak

For some, it's a "because they can" thing... and an aura that they're "sticking it to the man"... Once upon a time, I did... but I've 'outgrown' it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Some folks like the tweaks that it offers. I tried it once and it just made things too unstable and I spent too much time figuring out what wasn't working with what.
Keeping my phone stock all it usually takes is a restart or restore as new for any software issues that aren't a official bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I was an avid jailbreaker until iOS 6. Just for little tweaks and all.

Now all I do it for are my iPads just to tweak things. For example getting AirPlay on the Sunday Ticket and NFL Network app. Useful things. Not customizing and all that. I outgrew that in my sophomore year of iPhones.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

I usually do but just for 2-3 very small visual tweaks such as getting rid of the Dock background. Once iOS 7 was introduced, I did not like the way the dock background looked or the way the frosted look made certain wallpapers that had darker colors turn grey behind the dock. Purely just a visual thing, but important to me nonetheless.

However, that being said, I usually run stock for 2-3 weeks whenever I get a new iPhone to make sure things are running smoothly with the device on stock just to see if there are any hardware or software issues.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

People like to tweak their stuff to make it more personalized...that is the core reasoning for jail breaking.

I used to jail break to get a few features Apple didn't provide natively on the device, but over the years, they filled these needs completely, so I don't bother anymore. The only thing I miss is 5 icon dock, but not enough to actually go through the process of jailbreaking, and certainly not at the risk of problematic and buggy versions of the break.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

As a primary Android user I'm tempted to jailbreak though there is no real need. I have to remind myself that I got an iPhone because it wanted something different than what I already had so there is limited value to trying to customize it out like my other devices.

... but jailbreaking can provide fun results.

Last edited:

jakdillard

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

I did it for certain jailbreak apps like iAppLock and MxTube, but realistically I moved away from Android so I'm not constantly tweaking

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Friends I know that JB often say that it doesn't feel like there device if it's stock but there the same ones that constantly complain that Apple makes an unstable operating system

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I choose to be different by leaving everything stock, much to some peoples dismay being the "Techie Guy" I am. I explain that I lost the desire to customize the devices I buy past the point of recognition. I much more enjoy learning to use my devices software & hardware to their fullest extent, than spending my time changing things simply for the sake of changing things ...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I am tempted to jailbreak a spare iPhone just to be able to use different themes. But then again I think that would lose its appeal as soon as I start to have trouble with it, as I surely would since I'd be using the phone in a manner other than what it was intended.

So....although I'm very curious and often tempted, I haven't done it yet. Don't know if I will. I might keep my 6 in September when I get my 6s Plus and see what all the jb fuss is all about.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I am tempted to jailbreak a spare iPhone just to be able to use different themes. But then again I think that would lose its appeal as soon as I start to have trouble with it, as I surely would since I'd be using the phone in a manner other than what it was intended.

So....although I'm very curious and often tempted, I haven't done it yet. Don't know if I will. I might keep my 6 in September when I get my 6s Plus and see what all the jb fuss is all about.

You could always try it and bring it back to stock if you were to overcome with the guilt.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

NOT my daily driver, but maybe like I said....my current one when I get my new one....

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I don't see a need.

A.B.

Everyone will not want to some will and some wont. There seems to be this us vs you thing of people who don't do it thinking themselves purists. It's not really a big deal if you see the value then do it if not then just use your device. I was Jailbroken from the first iPhone I had on 1.x until around iOS 7 when it just became too much bother for me because I use betas. So the short time I had to run a JB before I would have to wipe and run the beta. It just didn't make sense anymore. There are so many ways to JB and so many tweaks that you will get so many different reasons and experiences depending on who you talk to about it. I've never had usability or power issues but I only used a handful of tweaks to do things that I wanted. Things like putting icons where I want on the home screen, Answering texts from the lock screen, turning off screen elements like album art, lock screen clock, using different fonts. Now that I'm no longer a dev I will probably be JBing since I wont be running iOS betas anymore.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Just keep in mind that 99% of the malware that exists for iOS devices only affects jailbroken devices. Just some food for thought.

As for myself, during my brief stint with Android a few years ago, the big appeal was the whole 'freedom' and 'customization' aspect that came with it. However, I found out that the customization hook got old real quick. So I can make custom icons, whoop dee do. It doesn't help that most of the custom themes people came up with were ugly as sin compared to stock.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I like customizing, this is just today's look on my Note 4:

So, I was wanting to personalize my 6+ and if a jb for 8.1.3 comes out I'll likely try it.

Attachments

• 1423695751826.jpg
    1423695751826.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1423695771861.jpg
    1423695771861.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1423695780755.jpg
    1423695780755.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 36

Trending Posts

Forum statistics