From Android to iOS and my take.....

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You don't think the 6s will have 2 gb of RAM in September? If not, what will be their big selling point?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Apple wouldn't use RAM as a selling point... Most consumers think RAM is a Dodge truck. Most people don't know what RAM is or what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple wouldn't use RAM as a selling point... Most consumers think RAM is a Dodge truck. Most people don't know what RAM is or what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but they won't sell it as increased RAM, they'd sell it like "Increase your workflow and fluidity to multitask! Switch between tasks with ease!". Something more exuberant with tiny lettering in the specs section just for us geeky folk.

Gator352

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The widgets are more often than not a developer problem, not Apple. I'd blame the developers for the widgets not working.

Oh I know. It's the same on Android. But I was referring just to the one app (widget)....Quick-Tap....not Apple or iOS in general. Now the phone not responding like it should is an iOS problem....where it hangs at random times when you're trying to multitask <-----this was listed as one of the bugs/problems that iOS 8 was having.

Gator352

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't think the 6s will have 2 gb of RAM in September? If not, what will be their big selling point?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Naw. I bet they will add OIS to the camera and maybe even remove the headphone port in favor of lightning and adding another speaker for stereo sound.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
How was the move from the Google ecosystem to the Apple ecosystem? I'm having the same thoughts of moving over but questioning whether or not it's a "grass is greener" type situation. Personally I very much like Lollipop but I don't want essentially be forced to limit myself to a Nexus device to be able to enjoy it.

Gator352

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How was the move from the Google ecosystem to the Apple ecosystem? I'm having the same thoughts of moving over but questioning whether or not it's a "grass is greener" type situation. Personally I very much like Lollipop but I don't want essentially be forced to limit myself to a Nexus device to be able to enjoy it.

Pretty easy. You can have your Gmail account synced to the phone, this way you won't lose all your contacts or Email. Grass is Greener? Well it all depends on how you look at it. I find it to be about the same color as they both have their plusses and minus's. If you like customizing, stay with Android. If you want a phone that pretty much just works the way it should out of the box, then the iPhone is it.

Personally, I hate the lack of customization. But I found that with Android, the more customizing you do, more problems arise. For me, I needed my phone to be a phone first.....everything else is second.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Pretty easy. You can have your Gmail account synced to the phone, this way you won't lose all your contacts or Email. Grass is Greener? Well it all depends on how you look at it. I find it to be about the same color as they both have their plusses and minus's. If you like customizing, stay with Android. If you want a phone that pretty much just works the way it should out of the box, then the iPhone is it.

Personally, I hate the lack of customization. But I found that with Android, the more customizing you do, more problems arise. For me, I needed my phone to be a phone first.....everything else is second.
I honestly don't care about the customization. I think it is an over exaggerated element of Android as any customization the average user will do is essentially the same on both platforms (background changes, lock screens, ring tones, etc). Where things start getting fuzzy for me is some of the integration of a select few Google services that I use regularly such as music (which is pretty awesome), calendar, Gmail/Inbox, and Chrome (the biggest one for me). I know these apps exist on iOS but due to its locked down nature aren't fully supported or implemented as they would be on Android. The HTC One M7 has served me well, but I'll be looking to upgrade in the next few months. If Samsung or HTC don't deliver with the S6/Hima it's likely the 6 Plus for me as right now I think the 6 Plus is the phone to beat hardware wise with the Note 4 very close behind (not a huge Samsung fan myself).

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't care about the customization. I think it is an over exaggerated element of Android as any customization the average user will do is essentially the same on both platforms (background changes, lock screens, ring tones, etc). Where things start getting fuzzy for me is some of the integration of a select few Google services that I use regularly such as music (which is pretty awesome), calendar, Gmail/Inbox, and Chrome (the biggest one for me). I know these apps exist on iOS but due to its locked down nature aren't fully supported or implemented as they would be on Android. The HTC One M7 has served me well, but I'll be looking to upgrade in the next few months. If Samsung or HTC don't deliver with the S6/Hima it's likely the 6 Plus for me as right now I think the 6 Plus is the phone to beat hardware wise with the Note 4 very close behind (not a huge Samsung fan myself).

For the customization topic, This has been my opinion for a long time on Android. I ended up just throwing all icons in a grid on nova launcher like a weird iOS/Android hybrid just because it was the easiest way to get to what I want.

As for the Android services, there's really no easy way to keep the functionality of Google apps when going to iOS. I've been trying for awhile now, but with no extensibility options for hangouts, gmail, or maps, there's just no way to use any Google app effectively. It's lead me to ditching them in favor of Apple apps just to make it easier. Sucks, but it would be the same situation going from iOS to Android (which was just as bad when I lost iTunes Match...)

hatchettjack

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
My biggest setback is that even though they allow widgets, I can't find any that'll allow quick settings. That's the one thing I absolutely loved about my Note 3. It has an easily scrollable belt with options to turn things on and off with a click. It's a little irritating sometimes to go hunt down the same settings with 3+ steps each time.

I used to miss Swype severely, thankfully that's no more an issue. It's still buggy though but it's getting better each update. I understand it'll take time and work.

I do hope they'll put 2GB of RAM in the next iteration. It can sometimes bug me all the browser reloads and app crashes. I have to consistently close down all apps manually to insure that while I'm doing a back and forth, neither app/browser will reload/crash.

The control center allows you quick settings!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

hatchettjack

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

Kinda funny that Samsung was the self proclaimed Apple killer and all they have managed to kill is android!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about that, but I do believe that if they ever decided to dump Android for Tinzen Google would be in trouble.

Samsung isn't going anywhere soon, but if it did, another OEM would step in -- happily -- to fill the void. The new lead OEM(s) wouldn't enjoy the economies of scale Samsung does, but I'm sure it/they would manage.

Samsung isn't sticking with Android out of affection. It needs Android more than Android needs it.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Samsung isn't going anywhere soon, but if it did, another OEM would step in -- happily -- to fill the void. The new lead OEM(s) wouldn't enjoy the economies of scale Samsung does, but I'm sure it/they would manage.

Samsung isn't sticking with Android out of affection. It needs Android more than Android needs it.
Who would step in though? The only one I could see stepping up is Motorola but that is still a massive void to fill.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Who would step in though? The only one I could see stepping up is Motorola but that is still a massive void to fill.

Agreed. It would be massive. Moto? Probably.

I think LG could. You have Xiaomi and HTC too. I think the more likely outcome would be a more even split among Android OEMs with regards to sales.

The consumer in me does wish Tizen would catch on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR