Extremely slow app downloads and updates

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
So I found that I am relying on iTunes to update and download apps.

I had to replace my iPhone 6 Plus and I found that downloading from the app store still sucks.

However, downloading and updating from iTunes on my wired Ethernet Windows Desktop works fine. I physically plug in my iPhone to my computer to transfer apps.

I can't blame the ISP on this one as wired works fine, but somehow WiFi does not at home or at work with a build in wifi in the modem or a setup with an external router.

This is a very odd situation, but at least I have a way of downloading and uploading apps.

Yay for iTunes?

Update**
I found that I have to create a static IP per device to download properly.

I do have my desktop as static but not any wifi devices.

I never had to do that before but it is a simple fix and now my devices update at the fastest possible speeds.

Last edited:

Matthew110607

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Found this solution elsewhere, this fixed it for me:

Close your iTunes,
Go to command Prompt -

(Win 7/Vista) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES, right mouse click "Command Prompt", choose "Run as Administrator".

(Win XP SP2 & above) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/Command Prompt

In the "Command Prompt" screen, type in

netsh winsock reset

Hit "ENTER" key
Restart your computer.
If you do get a prompt after restart windows to remap LSP, just click NO.

Now launch your iTunes and see if it is working now.

If you are still having these type of problems after trying the winsock reset, refer to this article to identify which software in your system is inserting LSP:

iTunes 10.5 for Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123?viewlocale=en_US

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED!

I have tried that method yet, but I found that I have to create a static IP per device to download properly.

I do have my desktop as static but not any wifi devices.

I never had to do that before but it is a simple fix and now my devices update at the fastest possible speeds.

Last edited:

Matthew110607

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Found this solution elsewhere, this fixed it for me:

Close your iTunes,
Go to command Prompt -

(Win 7/Vista) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES, right mouse click "Command Prompt", choose "Run as Administrator".

(Win XP SP2 & above) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/Command Prompt

In the "Command Prompt" screen, type in

netsh winsock reset

Hit "ENTER" key
Restart your computer.
If you do get a prompt after restart windows to remap LSP, just click NO.

Now launch your iTunes and see if it is working now.

If you are still having these type of problems after trying the winsock reset, refer to this article to identify which software in your system is inserting LSP:

iTunes 10.5 for Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123?viewlocale=en_US

burritoGlitch

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem. Apple Music streaming stuttered, and new apps from he App Store took 10 - 20 minutes to download and install. My internet connection worked fine for other things - Netflix ran totally fine. This anomaly only seemed to happen at my parents' house.

I found a solution here: discussions dot apple dot com thread #7177259.

The solution was to change the DNS from AT&T to OpenDNS. AT&T prevents modifying the DNS on their UVERSE modem/router, so I changed the DNS on the iPad.

Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the "i" icon next to the your wifi and change the DNS to OpenDNS. There are clearer instructions on their website, but I can't post links because this is my first post :(

jorbjorb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
my apps only update when i restart the phone.

apple music and app store has been buggy.

i hard reset the phone and it keeps staying as 8.4.1 this os is buggy as hell and i wanna go back a few updates

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
my apps only update when i restart the phone.

apple music and app store has been buggy.

i hard reset the phone and it keeps staying as 8.4.1 this os is buggy as hell and i wanna go back a few updates

Same here. I can't download or update apps at all unless I reboot my phone. Apple Music and App Store are extremely buggy with v8.4.1. Safari also just will stop loading pages for no reason.

jorbjorb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I can't download or update apps at all unless I reboot my phone. Apple Music and App Store are extremely buggy with v8.4.1. Safari also just will stop loading pages for no reason.
glad to see i'm not the only one.

i'm getting the same thing with safari lol.

first time i've ever had trouble with an apple phone. apple music just works sometimes now. most of the time it doesn't evne play LOL

TechnoMTB

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I was googling trying to solve a problem that sounds to me like a mystery. It's exactly the same you've described here. I'm in Italy, my Internet connection is super fast and it woks perfectly on all sites and online services.
It seems that I have download problems with Mac App Store and iTunes App Store only.
It could be great to have some hints from you. Have you fix it?

AS328

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue; I would attempt to update or download apps and it would just sit there and not load a darn thing... Searched the Internet with not much luck. Ended up doing a hard reset (holding down power and home button at the same time until phone shuts off) and that fixed it for me. Hope this helps, good luck!

TechnoMTB

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
For me it was a provider issue, they've fixed it in five days. Now the downloads are going at a normal speed.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

DJBGZ4

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
My issue was slightly different than some of you I believe. I was using a speedtest and getting 100+ mbps, but when I was trying to download apps from the app store it was taking 10 minutes for a small app update. I fixed it very easily. Open settings and go to Wifi. Then select the "i" next to your wifi connection. under the preselected DHCP section go down to where it says DNS. Change this to 8.8.8.8 (Google's developers DNS server). Like magic all of my App updates went back to normal and everything is speedy again. Weird because a few days ago my updates never had a problem and I've been using the same phone for a year on the same version of iOS.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
My issue was slightly different than some of you I believe. I was using a speedtest and getting 100+ mbps, but when I was trying to download apps from the app store it was taking 10 minutes for a small app update. I fixed it very easily. Open settings and go to Wifi. Then select the "i" next to your wifi connection. under the preselected DHCP section go down to where it says DNS. Change this to 8.8.8.8 (Google's developers DNS server). Like magic all of my App updates went back to normal and everything is speedy again. Weird because a few days ago my updates never had a problem and I've been using the same phone for a year on the same version of iOS.
Tried that, not working...

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed a couple things about connectivity in iOS.

First off, here's my setup:
Comcast cable / tel modem (I think my service is 50 down / 10up)
Linksys WRT1900AC h/w version 1. Latest firmware.
iPhone 6 (9.x beta) iPhone 6s Plus (9.1 release)

I have 2 separate wireless networks on my router. One is the 2.4GHz network and the other is 5GHz.

I've noticed that while connected to the 2.4GHz network, iTunes / App Store downloads crawl in comparison to when connected to the 5GHz network. I can download an entire album in Apple Music is seconds while using the 5GHz network, compared to minutes while on 2.4GHz. I am able to reproduce this on my 6 and 6s Plus.

Using the speedtest.net app, download speed is about 10-15mbps on 2.4GHz and 25-35mbps on 5GHz. Again, I am able to reproduce this on the 6 and 6s Plus.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just want to chime in that App Store downloads are still hit or miss for me. Apple's services are not the most reliable IMHO. I've had iMessage also falling back to SMS frequently in the past week. This is happening on my iPhone 5 and 6 both running iOS 9.1. Internet connection type does not seem to matter.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW