Is anyone else experiencing High Battery Drain Overnight/Idle?

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing a lot of usage overnight? My iPhone 6 lost 12% overnight last night and there is no reason why. I do not have anything running in the background. My phone was connected to wifi and do not disturb was on. I received 4 iMessages. My usage stated 1 Hour, 45 minutes but I hadn't been on the phone. This seems to happen every night. Should I take my phone to Apple? I restored the phone as new, reset all settings, network settings etc and it still drains.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: High Battery Drain Overnight

I'm assuming the phone isn't actually on the charger overnight?

And do you have a low cellular signal in your home? Because even when Wifi is on the phone will continue to hold a cell signal.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm assuming the phone isn't actually on the charger overnight?

And do you have a low cellular signal in your home? Because even when Wifi is on the phone will continue to hold a cell signal.
Nope. In this instance the phone was on 100 when I went to sleep. Woke up and it was 88. My cell signal is ok. Around 2-3 bars consistently. Data is off btw

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Nope. In this instance the phone was on 100 when I went to sleep. Woke up and it was 88. My cell signal is ok. Around 2-3 bars consistently. Data is off btw

I've experienced battery drain in your same use case dating back to earlier iPhones when I don't leave it on the charger overnight. For example I'll put the phone down before I sleep when it's at 74% at 11PM and wake up at 8AM and it'll most likely be somewhere in the mid 60's percentile. Your situation seems normal to me but you could always make an appointment at a Genius Bar and see if there really is a battery issue.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I've experienced battery drain in your same use case dating back to earlier iPhones when I don't leave it on the charger overnight. For example I'll put the phone down before I sleep when it's at 74% at 11PM and wake up at 8AM and it'll most likely be somewhere in the mid 60's percentile. Your situation seems normal to me but you could always make an appointment at a Genius Bar and see if there really is a battery issue.
I just reset my settings so I'll test it again tonight and see if it drains tonight. If it does, I'll make an appointment at the genius bar

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site

2-3 bars are week radio signals and could cause some battery usage I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If your usage and standby times are the same, you probably have a rogue app installed. My iPhone 6 Plus was draining battery faster than it should have been, although I could easily go a full day with moderate to heavy use. I then realized that my usage and standby times were exactly the same. I determined that the USPS app was the cause, and as soon as I deleted it, the problem went away.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

If your usage and standby times are the same, you probably have a rogue app installed. My iPhone 6 Plus was draining battery faster than it should have been, although I could easily go a full day with moderate to heavy use. I then realized that my usage and standby times were exactly the same. I determined that the USPS app was the cause, and as soon as I deleted it, the problem went away.
They aren't identical. Over 8 hours, I had 1 Hour, 45 Minutes as usage while my phone was idle. I don't have background app refresh on or location so I don't know where that is coming from. I think I've fixed it. Reseting all my settings seems to have stop the draining but I'll test it later on tonight

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

In case you haven't already done so, check the usage stats on battery to see if anything pops out.

Also, I did on one day notice my phone was draining way faster than usual. Hard reboot fixed it and it hasn't returned, figured some process got stuck. Have you attempted a hard reboot yet?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I have noticed it will drain somewhat quickly occasionally. What I have noticed is it has a lot of "Low Signal" items under my battery stats and some occasional "Background Activity ". The low signal items are all my iCloud Notes, Calendar Events, Contacts, etc. syncing in the background to all my devices while it is on LTE or 4G. When it doesn't try to sync in low signal areas, my battery life is great.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

In case you haven't already done so, check the usage stats on battery to see if anything pops out.

Also, I did on one day notice my phone was draining way faster than usual. Hard reboot fixed it and it hasn't returned, figured some process got stuck. Have you attempted a hard reboot yet?

Yea I've done it all. I believe its my wifi connectivity since it goes out quite often. The phone drains when idle and not just overnight. I can't figure out what it is. Its not any apps as I have background app refresh and location off. My usage does climb a little when it drains

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

My battery sometimes drains about 10-15% during night too. I just thought it was normal. It doesn't show anything under usage though. Maybe someone is using it during the night while you're sleeping. :p

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

lol. I found that out the hard way last year. My old phone just drained in about an hour. I didn't even have a charger handy, and that was my first time not bringing my charger since I never had to use it before.

nkf561

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: High Battery Drain Overnight/Idle

I have the same issue and I'm convinced it's caused by Do Not Disturb even though I don't know why that would be. No matter what percentage the charge shows when I go to bed, I lose 8-10% between 10pm and 6.30am. Once do not disturb cuts off at 6.30, my battery life is what I'd call excellent. Since my last full charge, I'm currently down 8% and that's with 9 hrs, 44 min standby and 1 hr, 5 minutes usage.

Over night, all apps are closed, do not disturb is on and signal strength is constantly 5 dots. It doesn't matter how many emails or texts I get during that time period, 10 or none and the drain is the same every night. I never charge over night, only during the day and I use either the charger that came with my 6 or the charger that came with my iPad mini (mostly the mini charger). When I check usage each morning, home and lock screen is the worst offender at 10-15%.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I have the same issue and I'm convinced it's caused by Do Not Disturb even though I don't know why that would be. No matter what percentage the charge shows when I go to bed, I lose 8-10% between 10pm and 6.30am. Once do not disturb cuts off at 6.30, my battery life is what I'd call excellent. Since my last full charge, I'm currently down 8% and that's with 9 hrs, 44 min standby and 1 hr, 5 minutes usage.

Over night, all apps are closed, do not disturb is on and signal strength is constantly 5 dots. It doesn't matter how many emails or texts I get during that time period, 10 or none and the drain is the same every night. I never charge over night, only during the day and I use either the charger that came with my 6 or the charger that came with my iPad mini (mostly the mini charger). When I check usage each morning, home and lock screen is the worst offender at 10-15%.
Can you turn off DND for one night and report back? I'm thinking its either the new VoLTE feature, an app, or my phone is messed up. But since you've brought this to my attention I'll try it out tonight and see myself

nkf561

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I've tried that on a few occasions and those always seem to be the nights I get email, texts or an extremely rare wrong number call and my wife threatens to banish me to the dog house. ;) I've been tempted to mute it and leave it in another room but, I have to be able to receive emergency calls from a number in my favorites.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

I've tried that on a few occasions and those always seem to be the nights I get email, texts or an extremely rare wrong number call and my wife threatens to banish me to the dog house. ;) I've been tempted to mute it and leave it in another room but, I have to be able to receive emergency calls from a number in my favorites.

Lol I understand. I turned of DND and it did not help at all. My phone had 2 Hours, 44 Minutes of usage over a 6 hour idle period. I honestly don't know what it could be. Looks like I'll be taking it to the apple store soon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner