Will a 5S SIM Card support ApplePay in a iPhone 6??

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Got my GF a unlocked sim-less iPhone from Apple and am expecting delivery today. I know her 5S SIM will work for calls/data on the 6, but will it also work for ApplePay?

I would like feedback from actual experience and appreciate in advance. Thanks!!!!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... BTW, thanks for your post back in Oct about 3G legacy support. I will have her add the new phone's MEID to her line at Verizon.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks... BTW, thanks for your post back in Oct about 3G legacy support. I will have her add the new phone's MEID to her line at Verizon.
Let us know how that goes... Verizon historically hasn't activated the sim free variants of devices that I know of...I'd be happy to be wrong about that...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how that goes... Verizon historically hasn't activated the sim free variants of devices that I know of...I'd be happy to be wrong about that...

Hmmmm... hope that isn't the case. From apple.com:

"The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States."

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm know an assistant retail manager at a Verizon store... I have an inquiry out on the question... will share what I learn...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If you go to one of the little non-corporate Verizon stores, I've seen them make those devices work. Of course there was a price. Now the fact that the quote includes Sprint, I hope they intend to put the phones on that carrier themselves at the Apple Store. Good luck talking Sprint into putting an unlocked device on your account or activating one with it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Got my GF a unlocked sim-less iPhone from Apple and am expecting delivery today. I know her 5S SIM will work for calls/data on the 6, but will it also work for ApplePay?

I would like feedback from actual experience and appreciate in advance. Thanks!!!!

Yes, it goes by device, not sim.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you go to one of the little non-corporate Verizon stores, I've seen them make those devices work. Of course there was a price. Now the fact that the quote includes Sprint, I hope they intend to put the phones on that carrier themselves at the Apple Store. Good luck talking Sprint into putting an unlocked device on your account or activating one with it.

Thing I don't understand is that, at least with verizon the iPhones they sell are unlocked anyway, so not sure why they make such a big deal out of activating unlocked iPhones, since if someone really wanted they could leave verizon and stick another sim in and be good to go. #verizonlogic ha

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Followup. I took the SIM out of her Verizon 5S, popped it in the new unlocked Apple 6 Plus and the phone went onto the Verizon network. No call/data issues as far as LTE goes. Will have to wait to go to a known 3G area to see what happens.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thing I don't understand is that, at least with verizon the iPhones they sell are unlocked anyway, so not sure why they make such a big deal out of activating unlocked iPhones, since if someone really wanted they could leave verizon and stick another sim in and be good to go. #verizonlogic ha

It has to do with legacy CDMA network support and voice calls on Verizon using that network... Verizon historically has not activated any device that was not OEMed specifically for Verizon. This batch of the latest Apple unlocked devices seems to be a change in that. Once Verizon and outer carriers implement VoLTE, everything will be SIM card based, and the legacy MEID won't matter.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually Apple pay uses nfc. You MUST have an nfc capable SIM card to utilize nfc. Your phone will work with the sim but Apple pay won't.
Show me where it is explicitly explained that NFC requires an enabled, specific SIM... the SIM card may be used to contain data that a NFC radio in a phone uses... the thing that makes NFC work - or not - is specific hardware in the radio of the phone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

From the article comment #2
The reason you required an “NFC Enabled SIM” is because the interaction or application you were using needs access to a “Secure Element” which is stored on the SIM and not in phone memory. Think of it like a secure key stored on the SIM Card. This “key” can be leveraged for features and interactions that require more security like mobile payments.
It's about data storage and an app... kind of like I noted above...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Let's look at it this way... Millions of users have upgraded to iPhone6 and 6+ with GSM providers and swapping in sims from previous devices... if it were really an issue, we'd have been talking about it before now...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I had this problem when I first utilized paying with a mobile phone. It wouldn't work because I didn't have an nfc capable sim card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SIM from my iPhone 5 in my iPhone 6 right now and Apple Pay works just fine...all two times I used it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Nice. Well that being said I must be wrong. Wonder why att website leads us different. I know 100% that android it won't work. I'll admit when I'm wrong. An plainly we can see I've been proven wrong. Point noted. Thanks for clarifying 100% that I needed corrected. My apologies for disagreeing on this subject with you kch50428

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about how Android hardware works with NFC too well, but I know that NFC on the iPhone is more tied to the card being tied to the specific device without any other outside influences.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner