Got my GF a unlocked sim-less iPhone from Apple and am expecting delivery today. I know her 5S SIM will work for calls/data on the 6, but will it also work for ApplePay?

I would like feedback from actual experience and appreciate in advance. Thanks!!!!
    01-07-2015 08:33 AM
    Support for ApplePay is the device and banks, not the SIM.
    boovish and kilofoxtrot like this.
    01-07-2015 08:37 AM
    Thanks... BTW, thanks for your post back in Oct about 3G legacy support. I will have her add the new phone's MEID to her line at Verizon.
    01-07-2015 08:40 AM
    Thanks... BTW, thanks for your post back in Oct about 3G legacy support. I will have her add the new phone's MEID to her line at Verizon.
    Let us know how that goes... Verizon historically hasn't activated the sim free variants of devices that I know of...I'd be happy to be wrong about that...
    01-07-2015 08:58 AM
    Let us know how that goes... Verizon historically hasn't activated the sim free variants of devices that I know of...I'd be happy to be wrong about that...
    Hmmmm... hope that isn't the case. From apple.com:

"The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment or a carrier installment plan. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint in the United States."
    01-07-2015 09:06 AM
    I'm know an assistant retail manager at a Verizon store... I have an inquiry out on the question... will share what I learn...
    01-07-2015 09:28 AM
    If you go to one of the little non-corporate Verizon stores, I've seen them make those devices work. Of course there was a price. Now the fact that the quote includes Sprint, I hope they intend to put the phones on that carrier themselves at the Apple Store. Good luck talking Sprint into putting an unlocked device on your account or activating one with it.
    01-07-2015 10:08 AM
    Got my GF a unlocked sim-less iPhone from Apple and am expecting delivery today. I know her 5S SIM will work for calls/data on the 6, but will it also work for ApplePay?

I would like feedback from actual experience and appreciate in advance. Thanks!!!!
    Yes, it goes by device, not sim.
    01-08-2015 02:13 PM
    If you go to one of the little non-corporate Verizon stores, I've seen them make those devices work. Of course there was a price. Now the fact that the quote includes Sprint, I hope they intend to put the phones on that carrier themselves at the Apple Store. Good luck talking Sprint into putting an unlocked device on your account or activating one with it.
    Thing I don't understand is that, at least with verizon the iPhones they sell are unlocked anyway, so not sure why they make such a big deal out of activating unlocked iPhones, since if someone really wanted they could leave verizon and stick another sim in and be good to go. #verizonlogic ha
    01-08-2015 02:15 PM
    Followup. I took the SIM out of her Verizon 5S, popped it in the new unlocked Apple 6 Plus and the phone went onto the Verizon network. No call/data issues as far as LTE goes. Will have to wait to go to a known 3G area to see what happens.
    01-13-2015 09:37 AM
    Thing I don't understand is that, at least with verizon the iPhones they sell are unlocked anyway, so not sure why they make such a big deal out of activating unlocked iPhones, since if someone really wanted they could leave verizon and stick another sim in and be good to go. #verizonlogic ha
    It has to do with legacy CDMA network support and voice calls on Verizon using that network... Verizon historically has not activated any device that was not OEMed specifically for Verizon. This batch of the latest Apple unlocked devices seems to be a change in that. Once Verizon and outer carriers implement VoLTE, everything will be SIM card based, and the legacy MEID won't matter.
    01-13-2015 10:18 AM
    Actually Apple pay uses nfc. You MUST have an nfc capable SIM card to utilize nfc. Your phone will work with the sim but Apple pay won't.
    Show me where it is explicitly explained that NFC requires an enabled, specific SIM... the SIM card may be used to contain data that a NFC radio in a phone uses... the thing that makes NFC work - or not - is specific hardware in the radio of the phone.
    01-14-2015 12:30 PM
    From the article comment #2
    The reason you required an “NFC Enabled SIM” is because the interaction or application you were using needs access to a “Secure Element” which is stored on the SIM and not in phone memory. Think of it like a secure key stored on the SIM Card. This “key” can be leveraged for features and interactions that require more security like mobile payments.
    It's about data storage and an app... kind of like I noted above...
    01-14-2015 12:57 PM
    I had this problem when I first utilized paying with a mobile phone. It wouldn't work because I didn't have an nfc capable sim card
    What phone was that?
    01-14-2015 01:14 PM
    Let's look at it this way... Millions of users have upgraded to iPhone6 and 6+ with GSM providers and swapping in sims from previous devices... if it were really an issue, we'd have been talking about it before now...
    01-14-2015 01:17 PM
    Try it without an nfc capable SIM card and let us know if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just took the sim card out of my 6 Plus and made an Apple Pay transaction with my terminal here at work and it worked just fine.
    kch50428 likes this.
    01-14-2015 02:03 PM
    I had this problem when I first utilized paying with a mobile phone. It wouldn't work because I didn't have an nfc capable sim card

I have the SIM from my iPhone 5 in my iPhone 6 right now and Apple Pay works just fine...all two times I used it.
    kch50428 likes this.
    01-14-2015 02:18 PM
    My apologies for disagreeing on this subject with you kch50428
    Not needed... acknowledged none the less.
    01-14-2015 03:32 PM
    Nice. Well that being said I must be wrong. Wonder why att website leads us different. I know 100% that android it won't work. I'll admit when I'm wrong. An plainly we can see I've been proven wrong. Point noted. Thanks for clarifying 100% that I needed corrected. My apologies for disagreeing on this subject with you kch50428

I don't know about how Android hardware works with NFC too well, but I know that NFC on the iPhone is more tied to the card being tied to the specific device without any other outside influences.
    01-14-2015 04:13 PM