VZW iPhone 6 Questions

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
But don't the LTE phones also have 3g and 1g just like the old phones? Anyway thanks. You may have explained why my wife's 4s has better reception in fringe areas than any LTE phone I've ever owned.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In areas where Verizon doesn't have 750mhz spectrum available, they've used AWS & PCS for LTE... and those frequencies don't propagate as well as 750/850mhz... thus why a 4s on 3G might perform better than and LTE device... and yeah, LTE devices can/do fall back... but they're programmed by default to try and use LTE wherever possible first... if you're in a fringe area, you might be better off temporarily turning LTE off...

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Good tip! Damn. I was just at that restaurant tonight where my wife's phone works and mine doesn't. Oh well..we'll go again in a couple of weeks and I will set my phone to 3G. What usually happens is my phone drops to 1G.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad! Now I feel less stupid.

You can also set a different alert tone for a VIP list. I use the VIP a lot. They are contacts you don't want to miss. VIP are the only emails I get a red notification badge for, along with the alert sound.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No offense but "should be " doesn't cut it. Anybody who is on VZW and went from 4 to 6 care to compare? Even better if you have 6 and wife has 4 so you can compare simultaneously?

BTW, bars mean nothing, I mean genuine data use in fringe area

If you're going to say something as rude as that, you should at least take a moment to think about what you're asking. Unless they're testing the same region you're concerned about, their advice will be anecdotal, at best. Anecdotal advice is useless to you.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to say something as rude as that, you should at least take a moment to think about what you're asking. Unless they're testing the same region you're concerned about, their advice will be anecdotal, at best. Anecdotal advice is useless to you.
I said "no offense" to be clear I meant not to be rude. I simply prefer anecdotal real life experience to the number of bars. The bars show how strong the signal is for making phone calls not receiving data. I believe kch explained a more technical reason for why a 3G phone might get a better data signal than an LTE phone in a fringe area.

There are some phones that are well known to get better reception than others although all of the users data reports is really anecdotal. After all the signal is what it is. Some phones have a better antenna or radio software that gives them better reception. For example in the Android world it is well known that Motorola phones, especially older ones, are much better at drawing in a data signal than new Samsung models. The newest Motorola Droid only has one radio instead of 2 like older and other brand Android phones with VZW and are reputed to not be as good. I know from personal experience my RAZR Maxx HD had better ability to draw in data than Samsung Note 3. As a novice to Apple I was simply trying to delve experience of persons who might have a 4s and a 6 in the family.

I have never seen review that claimed phone x is better or worse at getting usuable internet in areas with weak signal but some phones definitely are better at it.

My wife who has a 4s doesn't care about many of the features of the iPhone 6. Her main concern is good battery life the the ability to retrieve data for internet in fringe areas. She asked me to see what I could find out before she upgrades. I am also considering switching to iPhone myself.

Believe me the last thing I want to do is insult someone trying to help me. I apologize for any confusion. Instead of saying "doesn't cut it" I should have again asked for persons with real life experience.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal