VZW iPhone 6 Questions

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I am planning to purchase an iPhone 6 from VZW soon but I have a few questions. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Can I stream a movie from Xfinity TV now and connect to a TV through HDMI or wirelessly to watch in HD on bigger screen? It is a Samsung Smart TV in case that matters.

Has anyone had any luck using Puffin or any other browser to view flash content?

Can I download PDF files from web and view on iPhone?

I checked with VZW and you can only make WiFi phone calls in VZW to another VZW phone also capable of HD phone calls. Useless. The T Mobile ad on TV implies you can make WiFi calls to and from iPads even if iPad does not have any connection except WiFi and never has. Does that work even if the iPad has no affiliation with any phone service? All my family's iPads are WiFi only.

Again, thanks for your help. Sorry for my ignorance but when I ask at t mobile I can't get consistent answers to any of these questions and the Apple store is so busy for Christmas it is difficult to get help there.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Xfinity has an app, and it should work just fine, it does on my iPad Air. As for streaming it to your TV you have a few options to accomplish this, there is an adapter you can buy that lets you use an HDMI cord, you might also be able to do it wireless either via the DNLP capabilities of the TV or with the help of an app like PLEX. If the built in DNLP works, both devices will need to be on the same network and must allow sharing of media. You can also buy and use an AppleTV to accomplish what you want, and besides just your phone, the AppleTV will from from your Mac, and also has apps itself.

Ok flash browsing, while Safari does not support flash there ARE iOS browsers that do. Generally they are not free, but the cost is not more than a couple dollars. I use a good one called Photon. Puffin may be another. Some folks like Skyfire.

PDF's you will need an app like OfficeSuitePro, or Docs2Go, you possibly Google Docs.

There are ways to make wifi calls, via apps like skype, google hangouts, and facetime. Trust me you will be ok in this department, there are plenty of free and low cost ways to voice and video chat.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering my questions!

I use the free version of Puffin. I think you get a limited amount of free Flash. For more, you have to pay. I only use the Flash when I receive eCards on holidays. So I never pay anything. Puffin is a nice browser. It does desktop views of sites better than most.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Speed isn't my worry...it is get ing data in areas with poor coverage. Wife's iPhone 4 got data where my note 3 doesn't

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Speed isn't my worry...it is get ing data in areas with poor coverage. Wife's iPhone 4 got data where my note 3 doesn't

No way we could know that. But most iPhones do well in picking up signals. The 5c lacked a bit. It has a weaker antenna than the others. But the 6/6+ should be fine.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
No offense but "should be " doesn't cut it. Anybody who is on VZW and went from 4 to 6 care to compare? Even better if you have 6 and wife has 4 so you can compare simultaneously?

BTW, bars mean nothing, I mean genuine data use in fringe area

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No offense but "should be " doesn't cut it. Anybody who is on VZW and went from 4 to 6 care to compare? Even better if you have 6 and wife has 4 so you can compare simultaneously

He used "should be" because he can't tell you for sure since he's not in your situation.

If you don't get great reception with an iPhone 6 on Verizon then that has much to do more with your area of coverage than the phone itself. You're comparing a 4 or 4S which has no LTE capabilities and instead connect to EVDO still with phones that use LTE radios such as your Note 3.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
No, I specified fringe area. Fringe is fringe. If I am lucky enough to find someone with a 6 and spouse with a 4 they can tell which does better.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No, I specified fringe area. Fringe is fringe. If I am lucky enough to find someone with a 6 and spouse with a 4 they can tell which does better.

Again. One would be connected to EVDO and the other to LTE. It's a useless comparison. Can't compare an apple to an orange.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No bar comparison. What do you want to compare? Problem is, it's impossible to compare the way you want to. There are too many variables that will vary from phone to phone. Even side by side, you're not going to learn anything helpful. There's been no complaints about the Cellular or the Wifi signal receiving capabilities of the iPhone 6 or 6+ that I know of. If you want one, buy you one. They're great phones!

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It's easy and it doesn't matter if one is 1G and the other is 4G. Both phones in same place known for bad reception..like a restaurant I go to or in the supermarket. My wife's 4s has data. She can cruise the internet albeit slowly. My phone signal isn't strong enough to cruise net. Most people know such a place. You try both phones. Eventually you find a place where one phone can cruise the net and the other cannot. Then you know.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's easy and it doesn't matter if one is 1G and the other is 4G. Both phones in same place known for bad reception..like a restaurant I go to or in the supermarket. My wife's 4s has data. She can cruise the internet albeit slowly. My phone signal isn't strong enough to cruise net. Most people know such a place. You try both phones. Eventually you find a place where one phone can cruise the net and the other cannot. Then you know.

Good luck, man.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I only need to be lucky enough to find someone here with a 6 with a wife or husband with a 4. They will know the answer to my question.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to set a different notification sound for each of my email addresses? I have 5 in case that matters.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro