Someone put my OCD to bed :(

GeorgeRussos

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! First of all, I know it's been discussed a million times and sorry in advance for the stupidity of this thread.

I recently acquired a 6! Great device, great upgrade from a 4S with iOS8. Apps load instantly, it's big, it's a nice phone... except for the bending issue.

Over the past month I've read a lot about the bend-gate, seen lots of reports. Some of them justified as to why the phone got bent, other people claiming they had their phone in a case, no pocket and it bent. Other people say it needs a reasonable amount of force to bend, others say it's very prone to bending and it can bend like that.

I'm a really OCD person and so I check my phone to see if it's bent almost every day. I know I have a problem! The only stress this thing has been under is switching cases and I do that with the most extreme care. Someone saw my phone, though, and told me it's slightly bent. And being the crazy man I am I decided to post photos here to see other opinions.

For the life of me I cannot see a bend. I've looked at the phone under different light angles, I lay it face down on a surface, it's flat. Pressing it doesn't make it move or wobble. My friend examined it, she told me she can't see any curve. This other person really f**** my mind up, I keep thinking there's a bent and I'm too blind to see it. The phone just looks dead straight to me. I tried a glass surface, both sides, backplate and screen, the compass gave me the green zero.

I uploaded photos so you can see and tell me if you can see a bend or whatever. Again, I'm really sorry, it's just that my OCD is seriously kicking my **** with this thing :( I've read so much stuff about the bending thing it's crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 179

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'd more more OCD about that back looking so dirty...Seriously whats with all that crap? lol

Everyone here can tell you you're phone wont bend, but I dont think it will help your OCD. Your phone is FINE!

GeorgeRussos

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'd more more OCD about that back looking so dirty...Seriously whats with all that crap? lol

Everyone here can tell you you're phone wont bend, but I dont think it will help your OCD. Your phone is FINE!

LMAO I know!! It's a back protector and I tried putting some tape on it to cover the uncovered parts, I got it off and it attracted dirt. lol it looks bad. I got a sticker which I'm putting on when I get back home.

So you don't see a bend either? That's good hm. When I was told it was slightly bent I almost cried. I'm Greek and we don't have Apple Stores here and the contracts are awful so I got it full price for like 660. I couldn't stand the thought of it being bent. I haven't even used the thing.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
LMAO I know!! It's a back protector and I tried putting some tape on it to cover the uncovered parts, I got it off and it attracted dirt. lol it looks bad. I got a sticker which I'm putting on when I get back home.

So you don't see a bend either? That's good hm. When I was told it was slightly bent I almost cried. I'm Greek and we don't have Apple Stores here and the contracts are awful so I got it full price for like 660. I couldn't stand the thought of it being bent. I haven't even used the thing.

Listen the only way your phone is gonna bend is if you try to bend it or if you weigh like 300lbs+ and sit on the phone while its in your back pocket lol. The bendgate was blown way over proportion. Anyone who tells you your phone is bent is just messing with your OCD.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't look bent to me. I say don't worry about it. The person that said it's bent is screwing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeRussos

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks both for your replies you're so nice :)

I took the phone out and lay it face down on my table, I tried pressing the corners and it didn't wobble. However, when I press the upper right corner, the bottom left corner is GENTLY raised up. Doesn't wobble, but the corner gets raised a bit. I think it's probably the curved screen but I don't know. I tried with my 4S which is obvs supposed to be flat but it does it too. Weird thing is if I press the bottom left corner the upper right corner doesn't get raised. It's just this one. Do you think I should be worried about this? Could it actually be a bend I just don't see?

Ι googled this and found other people with the same thing, 5/5S users and 6/6 Plus too.

God damn it

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice a bend. I've had the 6 plus since day 1 and it's been in and out of cases and jeans pockets (front not back) and my phone is completely straight. I've even had my 15lb cat jump on it while it was on the couch and there's no bend.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Judging from the shadow the phone is casting on the table it looks slightly off, just a fine hair but its there.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
No bend, and you won't have that problem with a 6.

It's the 6 Plus that's easier to bend -- same thickness, larger breadth.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it appears bent simply because the up and down volume buttons appear to be tilted a little. Mine are too though. It's just due to them being able to wiggle a bit. My Note 3 home button wiggled and drove me crazy too. It's so small of a thing to notice, I'd just say your device is fine! Don't worry.

GeorgeRussos

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it appears bent simply because the up and down volume buttons appear to be tilted a little. Mine are too though. It's just due to them being able to wiggle a bit. My Note 3 home button wiggled and drove me crazy too. It's so small of a thing to notice, I'd just say your device is fine! Don't worry.

Thank you!!! Those buttons are so weird!!
Regarding the corner thing I described above, I found an explanation.

The reason it only happens from the volume buttons side is because the front assembly kinda gives in the metal backplate next to the volume buttons, under a light source, if pressed. You have to like be extra focused to see this, but it gives in by like 0.05mm probably.

Being the OCD person I am, I went to 3 different stores and tested out all the demos. Not to my surprise, every single one of them exhibited the same behaviour, exact same spot. The reason behind this has got to do with the way the phone is designed. If you look at any tear down of the 6 you will see some small support clip things, placed all around the perimeter of the screen. However, there is none near the area of the volume buttons due to there not being any room for them there. Probably that's a structural weak point of the phone. They're all that way. See photo here https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/d4SGSrWOVGlFhcQS.huge

I cannot say I'm mad, maybe at best mildly annoyed at Apple. The volume buttons area has always exhibited some weird behaviour. My 3G and my 3GS phones all had light bleeding next to the buttons (remember the black tape fix?) and my 4S had some of it to a very big degree and now this. I understand there's physically no space there to put the support thingie but come on.

Anyway, I think I've stressed this enough, everyone keeps telling me the phone cannot bend just like this.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!!! Those buttons are so weird!!
Regarding the corner thing I described above, I found an explanation.

The reason it only happens from the volume buttons side is because the front assembly kinda gives in the metal backplate next to the volume buttons, under a light source, if pressed. You have to like be extra focused to see this, but it gives in by like 0.05mm probably.

Being the OCD person I am, I went to 3 different stores and tested out all the demos. Not to my surprise, every single one of them exhibited the same behaviour, exact same spot. The reason behind this has got to do with the way the phone is designed. If you look at any tear down of the 6 you will see some small support clip things, placed all around the perimeter of the screen. However, there is none near the area of the volume buttons due to there not being any room for them there. Probably that's a structural weak point of the phone. They're all that way. See photo here https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/d4SGSrWOVGlFhcQS.huge

I cannot say I'm mad, maybe at best mildly annoyed at Apple. The volume buttons area has always exhibited some weird behaviour. My 3G and my 3GS phones all had light bleeding next to the buttons (remember the black tape fix?) and my 4S had some of it to a very big degree and now this. I understand there's physically no space there to put the support thingie but come on.

Anyway, I think I've stressed this enough, everyone keeps telling me the phone cannot bend just like this.

Yeah, I've gone through three 6's. Two had massive defects and all three have that weird appearance around the volume buttons.

I think the 6+ is the one more likely to bend simply because it's longer/bigger/etc.

You are not alone in your OCD.

I use a wallet case so I can't see the buttons!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
You're OCD, yet you're fine with putting a sticker over

You're OCD, but you're fine with hiding dirt, tape, and crap with a sticker ... Hmmm nice touch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234