Using bluetooth question with iPhone

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
HI all, I am somewhat of a newbie on using bluetooth in my car and with my iPhone. I have had no trouble through the car's display (Toyota Highlander) browsing to a playlist, and playing it. Phone calls can be initiated and answered through the car instrumentation. And the voice navigation from, for example Google Maps, comes through the speaker as well. All good.

What I wonder is what about other audio, how does that work if at all? Playing a radio station through iHeartRadio, if an app has text to speech and reads....can these be used as well? Do I just start them on the phone and it will come thru the speakers? Do I have any display controls? Can I start them thru the car instrumentation?

Thanks!

Peter Sichel

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Bluetooth services are organized into profiles for different roles. HFP (HandsFree Profile) for headsets and telephony; A2DP (Audio Distribution Profile) for playing stereo sounds.

You want your phone to connect with the A2DP service of your car. The details are device dependent, but you can start looking in Settings -> Bluetooth on your phone.

Kind Regards

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
That advice helped, thanks. I found in the car setup it supports a number of profiles, including A2DP. Apparently all I had to do was bring up an app that makes sound when you hit play (radio, streaming service etc., and then it plays on the car display when I hit play. I am not exactly sure how it knows what app to play when I Press play, for example if tomorrow I start the car will it just find the app I was playing today? I guess I'll find out.

It's a little bit of black science but it seems it all works well as I discover things!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2