My new iPhone and Google. Opinions needed.

rachmk2005

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I finally took the plunge and decided to go with an iPhone 6 (despite my husband's love for Android). I am new to iPhone and want to make sure I do everything right, so I wanted to get your expert opinions on some things.

I have always used Gmail and Google services on my other phones. But when I set up my new iphone my hubs kept talking about how I needed to use "outlook.com" because of how the iPhone checks email, something about it being faster or more reliable or something.

So my question is, if I set up my new iPhone as a "Google" phone, with Gmail and Google Search (Google Now instead of Siri I guess?), Chrome, etc...am I missing out on a "true" Apple/iPhone experience? I don't want to limit my phone by using Google stuff on a device that will be much more enjoyable to use with other services. I am willing to make the switch in my email and other apps, but I just am not sure what to do.

Any advice? Thank you all!!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore rachmk2005

Google apps actually run really well on an iPhone and you don't need to choose between the two. I use about 5 Google apps daily. Your only problem is Email. In order to use Gmail you need to download the app

I would suggest using Siri as its intergraded and will give you a better overall experience

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Google apps actually run really well on an iPhone and you don't need to choose between the two. I use about 5 Google apps daily. Your only problem is Email. In order to use Gmail you need to download the app

I would suggest using Siri as its intergraded and will give you a better overall experience

You can use Gmail on the stock mail app, it just doesn't instantly push email. It can only fetch every 15 minutes.

There are many good third party apps for gmail though for instant push notifications. I like Mailbox the most, though others like the Gmail app.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I use Gmail in the stock mail app, and I haven't had any issues. I tried the Gmail app once, but found the stock mail app more appealing to me...but that may be different for you.

I use Google maps over Apple maps as well.

Okris30

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
You are not missing out on a true iPhone experience if you use the google apps. That's the nice thing about the iPhone. You can have the best of both worlds on one device. I use the Gmail app for my email and it works great. I mostly use play music, Gmail, and Youtube. I also have Google Drive, Maps as well but only use Google Maps if Apple Maps screw up directions which isn't often anymore. Google Drive is nice to have since most of my photos were backed up there before I switched back to iPhone after a couple years on Android. Whatever Google apps you have, you aren't missing out on the iPhone experience.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I setup my girlfriends new iPhone 6 for her .. sync'd her Google account like I would on her previous Android phones and she gets all her email, contacts, calendar events ... Just like she did on Android ... Except it is now on her iPhone but still in one place / account :).

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I use a ton of Google apps on my phone they're all great. I only have an issue with Gmail/Inbox because it shows the web version of an email on your phone making the text size super small on a lot of emails.

tdeljr

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I am a long time android user and have had no problem converting over to the iPhone. My advice is take some time and use the stock applications, and then compare to the Google apps (such as the default email app, or maps) to see which one you like the best. Like others have said its so nice to be able to use both worlds in one device.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I don't understand why people say this... I have my gmail accounts, yes multiple, set up using he native mail app and it works 100% like it should. I've never downloaded GMail on my iPad Air or any previous iPhone I have ever owned.

So she doesn't "need to" or "have to" download the gmail app at all. She wouldn't be missing anything if she used the native mail app.

Sent from my iPhone 6 128GB SG using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 Gmail accounts. I have mine set to fetch once per hour. Google is responsible for taking away push. But I'm in no hurry for my email. I also have Outlook, but don't use it much.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people say this... I have my gmail accounts, yes multiple, set up using he native mail app and it works 100% like it should. I've never downloaded GMail on my iPad Air or any previous iPhone I have ever owned.

So she doesn't "need to" or "have to" download the gmail app at all. She wouldn't be missing anything if she used the native mail app.

Sent from my iPhone 6 128GB SG using Tapatalk

Yes I keep passing this error along for some reason but your "correct"

I use the Gmail app as well as inbox for Google related stuff but my primary email accounts are on hotmail and I use my iCloud email for iMore only

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I use the native email app for my Google, Yahoo and Outlook accounts. I've tried a few other email apps but the native email app works best for my needs.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask why you avoid them?

I don't like the TOS. I find some of their stuff rather creepy. However some of it was useful. Yes I also understand if I stay at a hotel, use my credit/debit card, pay for gas, dinning, carry my pocket pc (cell phone/smatphone, or what ever anyone likes to call them) the Feds know where I am anyway, without Google's help.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
b2a94c40f5e9c2a6401813d42d930fac.jpg

I use all google apps. I hate apple apps because I also have an android phone and when I use it, I can't use any of my apple apps. I use gmail for push email, I store all my music in google play, I use all my voice commands, reminders, and voice created appointments with the google search app, I store all my pictures on google+ but I use web albums to upload and view them, I store my files in drive and Dropbox, I use google wallet to store my loyalty cards, I get my text messages via Google voice, I make calls using google hangouts, I use google maps for gps, I use chrome to browse the web, I use YouTube for videos, and I use go tasks to access google tasks.

Soon Google will have a dedicated calendar app for iOS and when that comes out, I'm ditching the apple calendar app. There are a few things I would still like to see out of google on iOS. First is a third party android keyboard for iOS so you can keep your dictionary's the same across iOS and android. Maybe if apple would allow voice dictation then it would be cool to have Google now integrated into an iOS android keyboard. Second is support for android wear on iOS. I would also like to see google create a google contacts app for iPhone so ios users can access google groups. Not a sync but a dedicated app for the contacts. Allow users to open all handlers and links in Google apps (ie telephone numbers should open in hangouts, addresses should open in Google maps, text messages should open in Google voice or Google hangouts, urls should open in chrome, video calls in hangouts, emails in gmail or inbox, birthdays and dates in Google calendar, and share contacts as vcf files via Google voice or Google hangouts). There should also be a way to export and import all contacts with pictures using a vcf file. It would also be nice if it supported multiple google accounts.

The only non-google apps I use is ever notes for note taking because there is no google keep app for iOS. There are also a few apple apps I'm forced to use because apple does not allow third party access. I use apple pay until apple allows google wallet access to nfc. I also use iMessage from time to time with fellow iPhone users if they are not already on hangouts otherwise I just use hangouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't Swiftkey for both Android and iOS do this?

Yeah your right but I would like one made by google. What I really like is google's voice dictation, it is much better than Siri. Unfortunately, apple does not allow third party keyboards with voice control.

I don't use third party keyboards on either my Nexus 6 or my iPhone 6+. However, I would be willing to try it if Google produce one for iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk