Hey iOS experts,

My wife had an iPhone 4 running iOS 6. When ever I send her a SMS message with common simple emojis like that is colon close parentheses or semicolon parentheses. She'd get just the raw text, it wouldn't translate to a smiley, etc.

NOW, I bought her a big fancy new iPhone 6 running 8.1 I believe and it still doesn't show up? What gives? What setting do I need to change? Everything that comes up when I search for the answer to this just shows me how to enable the emoji keyboard, but that's not the problem.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    11-13-2014 01:07 AM
    Hey iOS experts,

My wife had an iPhone 4 running iOS 6. When ever I send her a SMS message with common simple emojis like that is colon close parentheses or semicolon parentheses. She'd get just the raw text, it wouldn't translate to a smiley, etc.

NOW, I bought her a big fancy new iPhone 6 running 8.1 I believe and it still doesn't show up? What gives? What setting do I need to change? Everything that comes up when I search for the answer to this just shows me how to enable the emoji keyboard, but that's not the problem.

Here's what I experience when texting: Smileys typed out on texts as you described will come through as raw text (emoticons) on iPhones. Sometimes if I am in a rush when texting to other iPhone users, I will type out a smiley emoticon instead of using the emoji keyboard and they come through as the raw text emoticon.

Also, as far as I know, iPhone emojis won't translate to other phone platforms in texts. So if your wife texts you an emoji to your Android phone, it probably won't display. (Please correct me if I am mistaken.) I am not familiar with Android phones so maybe the smileys typed out in texts (emoticons) to other Android phones will turn into an actual smiley like they do on forums?

I remember sending an "iPhone emoji" in a text to someone with another type of smartphone and they said they just got a plain square. So now I don't use the iPhone emojis in texts unless I know the recipient has an iPhone.
    captainbdsc likes this.
    11-13-2014 06:04 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense now. I am currently using a BlackBerry Z10. Emoticon's translate to graphics when I receive them and when I view the messages I have sent in a conversation. I have several friends who have Android devices that can share emojies, but I am not sure what kind of special keyboards if any they have installed. I will have to see if my emoticons show up on their devices as text or images, out of curiosity.

Thanks again!

11-14-2014 01:22 AM
    You're very welcome.
    11-14-2014 02:27 AM