iPhone 6 linked to Verizon account?

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought a Brand new sealed iPhone 6 off eBay. It said that it was factory unlocked. But when I fired it up I found out that it had a Verizon SIM card. So I went ahead and tried to make a phone call and to my surprise, the call went through. Here's when everything started.
I called Verizon from that phone number and what the rep told me was that the phone was linked to an account, so I can't activate it under my name neither on my account. I contacted the seller and the seller said that it doesn't matter to whom is the account linked as long as it works I should be happy. Well not really. I want a device that's not linked to anybody else, as I bought it full price.

Has any of you guys been into this situation? What should I do?

Thanks!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's unlocked for GSM. So you can put an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in it and it'll work.

The ESN of the device is linked to a Verizon account because the seller sold you what is probably a stolen device which cannot be used on Verizon anymore.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought a Brand new sealed iPhone 6 off eBay. It said that it was factory unlocked. But when I fired it up I found out that it had a Verizon SIM card. So I went ahead and tried to make a phone call and to my surprise, the call went through. Here's when everything started.
I called Verizon from that phone number and what the rep told me was that the phone was linked to an account, so I can't activate it under my name neither on my account. I contacted the seller and the seller said that it doesn't matter to whom is the account linked as long as it works I should be happy. Well not really. I want a device that's not linked to anybody else, as I bought it full price.

Has any of you guys been into this situation? What should I do?

Thanks!

I would return it and get your money back. most likely the seller bought it on contract pricing yet never activated it and then deactivated, which is why it is still on their line. Hence why the "factory sealed"

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The SIM card may be what's only linked to that person's account. Put your Verizon SIM in there and see if it works.

It works.. But the phone IMEI and ICCID is linked into the account, I called verizon twice without giving them the number that SIM card has and they asked for the IMEI, right away the rep said that it is linked to another account and there's nothing we can do..

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I would return it and get your money back. most likely the seller bought it on contract pricing yet never activated it and then deactivated, which is why it is still on their line. Hence why the "factory sealed"

I am really thinking about returning it.. But I've never done that, I have never dealt with a paypal return either

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am really thinking about returning it.. But I've never done that, I have never dealt with a paypal return either

File it on eBay and PayPal. Will be simple and will ask what happened and a case will be opened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Before asking for a refund, just ask the guy to unlink his phone number from the phone. If he doesn't, make the claim on PayPal.

I just asked him and he replied "I don't understand why you bought an unlocked phone from me and the ask verizon if the phone is linked" he said that he bought it from the original owner that used upgrade but didn't want the phone anymore, that he understands that the phone is linked to him and his name, but that, that is not an issue as I can still activate the phone, that it is being sold as unlocked and all I should care about is about the phone working on my carrier..

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I just asked him and he replied "I don't understand why you bought an unlocked phone from me and the ask verizon if the phone is linked" he said that he bought it from the original owner that used upgrade but didn't want the phone anymore, that he understands that the phone is linked to him and his name, but that, that is not an issue as I can still activate the phone, that it is being sold as unlocked and all I should care about is about the phone working on my carrier..

Tell him not to tell you what you **should** care about. Just say you want to return it and get your money back and ship it to him and have him refund you for the shipping back. Easy peasy.

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the phone was financed on EDGE. When they are financed like that, the phone is linked to an account as long as there is a balance due on the phone. If/when the original owner doesn't pay their bill and make their EDGE payment, the phone will be shut off on Verizon.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a useless brick is what could happen. File the PayPal claim now, before your window closes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a useless brick is what could happen. File the PayPal claim now, before your window closes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doing that now.. Thank you. I didn't have an account on paypal when I made the payment though.. Could that be a problem?

ekoulak

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Doing that now.. Thank you. I didn't have an account on paypal when I made the payment though.. Could that be a problem?

It doesn't matter if you have an account with PayPal, it still gives you buyers protection, and eBay protection as well. File a complaint with both ASAP

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you have an account with PayPal, it still gives you buyers protection, and eBay protection as well. File a complaint with both ASAP

I just did.. Thank you guys! I have to wait 4 days till ebay and paypal take actions or if we come to an agreement (which I don't think that's ever going to happen!)
I need strong points though.. Against the seller. What else can I say on the emails besides repeating myself about the phone being linked to an account?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it got linked that account when you made a phone call on it using the SIM in it that wasn't your SIM. (I'm also curious why you did that, but that's different question.)

What happens when you take that SIM card out and put yours in?