Is 16 GB enough?

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone before, but I'm contemplating getting a 16 GB iPhone 6.

But after browsing the forums, it seems everyone is purchasing either 64 or 128 GB devices. And stories like this iPhone 6 Specs: Is 16GB useless on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus? | BGR are scaring me.

I realize everyone's needs are different, but is the 16 GB version as unusable as stories like this make it sound?

I've owned a 32 GB Android for two years now, and yet even now have only accumulated about 5 GB of my own stuff, including apps, leaving about 21 GB empty all this time. So I'm assuming 16 GB would suit me fine as I don't download games, I only have a few dozen songs, etc.

I'm not familiar with iOS though: do I need extra device space to upgrade iOS if I do it via iTunes? Does iOS itself use a lot of space?

Does anyone here have the 16 GB version? If so, has the smaller capacity caused you any problems?

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I just got my 16 GB Silver iPhpne 6 Plus yesterday and I must admit that the extra space that 64 Gigs affords would be NICE, it is not a requirement for me. I do a lot in the cloud and just don't save much physically on my device. I am also not an app hog and that helps. I simply did not want to pay a $100 premium for the extra space. So far so good!

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the iPhone forums...

If you only have few songs and do not download a lot of games or apps 16GB should work good for you.

The problem with iPhone is that over time you start using the phone more and so more apps and more pictures and now you are at the point that you run out of space on the phone. So if you think you will be able to manage the space wisely, download pictures and videos promptly, delete apps that you don't use frequently you should be good.

If you are looking for a recommendation and can afford the extra $100 I would recommend to get the 64GB at least. This way you don't have to worry about space at all.

Trust me when I say that you will probably be using your iPhone more than your Android device. The quality of apps and quantity of apps is just insane.

Hopefully, everything works out for you whatever size phone you get...

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I would encourage 64 but I couldn't wait so got 16. It actually works for me but it is a compromise. I don't just keep every game possible. And I offload pictures and videos occasionally and stream everything else. Not a problem for me but it is a compromise for sure.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there any chance that future iOS upgrades might be too big to install on 16 GB models?

Does using iTunes to do an iOS upgrade avoid needing space on the device to do it? For example, when iOS 9 becomes available, if I only have 2 GB left on my device can I use iTunes to do the upgrade process?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Is there any chance that future iOS upgrades might be too big to install on 16 GB models?

Does using iTunes to do an iOS upgrade avoid needing space on the device to do it? For example, when iOS 9 becomes available, if I only have 2 GB left on my device can I use iTunes to do the upgrade process?

iTunes will be able to do the update without requiring extra space, yes. I would HIGHLY recommend a 64 GB though, if you can afford it. I got a 16 GB iPad Mini 2 last year, thinking that it would be enough for me because I only used about 8 GB on my previous iPod Touch. Then, after I got it, I quickly ate up all 16 GB and didn't have enough room for iOS 8 when it came out. Then this year I got 2 64 GB devices, and it feels nice to not have to worry about filling it up constantly. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It isn't for me, it might be for you...

Given the size of the OS on the device, if you're not a heavy cloud user, I would say that the 16GB will probably be a very limiting amount of storage.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, no. I have kids and grandkids. I have/get a lot of photos. And apps. And videos. It fills up fast. I have always purchased 32GB iPhones, and larger iPads. My current iPad is the iPad Air 2, 128GB.

Your situation may be much different than mine, but one thing is constant - you cannot add more storage. Get the biggest that you can comfortably afford.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't think 16gb is enough. With as MANY games/apps available in the Apple App store, I find myself using more gb then I ever imagined, not to mention music/photos and wallpapers. I'm the type that likes to keep everything on my device and not worry about space. I suggest getting as much as you can afford...."It's better to have and not need than to need and not have"

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

For some this is already a problem. Depends on how full the device is. For some having 5g free will be difficult with 16g device.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As others have said it depends on how much you utilize cloud storage. My girlfriend got 16 GB and was worried since her old phone filled up with that ... But I manage it for her now and when it starts to get full I simply just delete a bunch of photos since I have her photos backup to Google +. Once they're backed up there .. there is no need to keep older pics on the device.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone before, but I'm contemplating getting a 16 GB iPhone 6.

But after browsing the forums, it seems everyone is purchasing either 64 or 128 GB devices. And stories like this iPhone 6 Specs: Is 16GB useless on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus? | BGR are scaring me.

I realize everyone's needs are different, but is the 16 GB version as unusable as stories like this make it sound?

I've owned a 32 GB Android for two years now, and yet even now have only accumulated about 5 GB of my own stuff, including apps, leaving about 21 GB empty all this time. So I'm assuming 16 GB would suit me fine as I don't download games, I only have a few dozen songs, etc.

I'm not familiar with iOS though: do I need extra device space to upgrade iOS if I do it via iTunes? Does iOS itself use a lot of space?

Does anyone here have the 16 GB version? If so, has the smaller capacity caused you any problems?

Welcome to iMore. I would say this: aside from apps, the biggest memory consumers are going to be pictures/videos, and music. You probably can make 16 GB work, you would just need to get into a habit of making sure your pics are backed up, then cleared off your phone at set intervals (I would highly suggest once per week. If anything happens, at worst, you lose 6 days of pictures). For music, pick a number of songs, say 100 and only keep those on your device.

Hope you enjoy your new phone!

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the 6+ 16gb. Had to return in the next day and get a 6 64gb bc I need the space and they are the same price. I needed the space bc of school but your situation may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the 6+ 16gb. Had to return in the next day and get a 6 64gb bc I need the space and they are the same price. I needed the space bc of school but your situation may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could only get the 16. No 64 in stock. Cool that you were able to switch so easily.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a 6 or 6+, but I do have a 16 gb iP 5. I've had it 15 months, and have 4.2 gb available. I only have 32 songs. 148 apps. When I updated to iOS 8, I deleted several apps, cleared cache where I could, uploaded photos to Box and etc. I try to keep it above 4 gb available. If you don't do a lot of music, 16 gb is manageable. I also keep my messages app clean. I don't save messages. They take a lot of space if you don't keep them deleted. Also email. Especially those with photos and videos.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I could only get the 16. No 64 in stock. Cool that you were able to switch so easily.

Well it wasn't exactly easy. I was within the 2 week exchange period, however, I am using the edge program and had put down $200 towards the 6+ wehn I went in the first time. Long story short, verizons computer system isn't straight forward so it took 2 managers and 2 salesmen to try and exchange the phone for the 6. Spent a good hour and a half while they did this, Was a mess, but in the end I'm getting the phone I need.

codyoehl

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't going to have much on the phone, the no
But I managed to fill up most of my 16 gb in like 1 week, so yeah. Mainly songs and the giant Apple apps.

nilemann

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a 16gb 6 and don't have a problem. Don't have music because Pandora and iTunes Radio take care of that and I have an iPod wired into the car. My suggestion is to spend the extra money to upgrade to 64 or 128 on a home cloud - WD makes a few and 2TB can be had for about $100. They have 2 nice and free apps that allow you to backup your phone from anywhere. Plus you have a secure personal cloud that any of your devices can use.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711