Is 16 GB enough?

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If you can swing it go for the extra space you might not need it now, but its good to know its there if you need it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you could swing the extra $100 get the 64 gig. Operating systems are larger so are apps and pictures. 16gigs is limiting

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it, go higher. I have abojut 35 apps including 5 games. But truthfully I have the I don't feel limited one bit. I stream from iTunes match, Google play music, and Netflix. I can also download a couple of movies on my device with no problem. I've recently gotten into photography and I upload pictures to Dropbox every now and then. Even if I had a 64 gb I'd still stream everything. It really depends on how you use your phone but for me 16gb is good enough.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've always bought the 16gb model. 90% of what I do is in the cloud.

That being said, I think the next time I upgrade I'm going bigger. With Photostream and everything I'm noticing I'm needing far more space. It hasn't become an issue yet, but it may soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aboweam

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
16 gb not enough
apple must change policy

-------------------------
التوقيع
-------------------------
سبحان الله وبحمده عدد خلقه ورضا نفسه وزنة عرشه ومداد كلماته

Okris30

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy music on iTunes as I stream from Google Play Music with my subscription. I don't take many photos either or play many games so 16GB is more than enough for me. Plus I make use of Google Drive to store my photos when needed. It all depends on your needs though so you need to think about what you would do with your phone and go from there.

mrjoeltan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what you need it for. 16 is enough for me, since I don't put all my music on my phone anymore, and all i really use it for now is apps like pages and keynote for school, and some games.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned an iPhone before, but I'm contemplating getting a 16 GB iPhone 6.

But after browsing the forums, it seems everyone is purchasing either 64 or 128 GB devices. And stories like this iPhone 6 Specs: Is 16GB useless on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus? | BGR are scaring me.

I realize everyone's needs are different, but is the 16 GB version as unusable as stories like this make it sound?

I've owned a 32 GB Android for two years now, and yet even now have only accumulated about 5 GB of my own stuff, including apps, leaving about 21 GB empty all this time. So I'm assuming 16 GB would suit me fine as I don't download games, I only have a few dozen songs, etc.

I'm not familiar with iOS though: do I need extra device space to upgrade iOS if I do it via iTunes? Does iOS itself use a lot of space?

Does anyone here have the 16 GB version? If so, has the smaller capacity caused you any problems?

A lot of people are purchasing the 64 GB model because it offers arguably the best bang for the buck, so to speak. 64 GB is 4 times the amount of a 16 GB model for $100 more. Having said that, the 16 GB model is still a good buy if you don't plan on storing a good deal of stuff on it. I mean, if you plan on keeping thousands of songs, photos, videos, as well as save all of your iMessages & SMS messages, then you will benefit more by purchasing the 64 GB model, in my opinion....:)...Personally, I can get by on a 16 GB model, but I cannot pass up the 64 GB model for the price.

LeDave

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have 5 gigs of music on my 16GB and I only store significant photos which is only so far 3 on my phone. The 16GB works fine for me. I'm not one of those people who store music that they don't really listen to. I don't store photos that I don't really look back on or don't show to others.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 gigs of music on my 16GB and I only store significant photos which is only so far 3 on my phone. The 16GB works fine for me. I'm not one of those people who store music that they don't really listen to. I don't store photos that I don't really look back on or don't show to others.

I have 3 photos from this morning alone.

LeDave

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 photos from this morning alone.

Yes, you're like my pops, his iPhone 6+ has like 500 photos because all he almost really does on his phone is instagram the food he eats from breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks... and doesn't like deleting them off his phone although it's stored on instagram.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you're like my pops, his iPhone 6+ has like 500 photos because all he almost really does on his phone is instagram the food he eats from breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks... and doesn't like deleting them off his phone although it's stored on instagram.

Not for Instagram. When you have a family you will understand. The pictures of my godson from birth to now almost 3 are priceless to me and I love having them across all my devices

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Whether 16GB fits your needs or not, I still don't recommend getting a 16GB iPhone to anyone. At all. Ever.

In some way, shape or form, you'll run out of space. You're really better off going a step up with 64GB.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses and experiences everyone! It definately helps in deciding - though it sounds like there's no simple answer. At the very least though, it doesn't sound like 16 GB is as "unusable" as I feared. I get that the larger models are more future-proof for songs, pictures, etc., but I was worried that the 16 GB might not get future versions of iOS.

Here's a question though: with my Android, I tend to keep my main music collection on DropBox, and only keep the songs I'm actually listening to on my device. As my mood changes, I delete what's on my device and download a new set of songs. So at any given moment their might be 200 songs on DropBox, but only 10 on my device.

Is it easy to do that sort of swapping with an iPhone? I don't believe I can "download" music files from a cloud service to an iPhone, correct? If not, can I use iTunes to keep only a small selection of songs on the device, while leaving the main collection on the laptop or the cloud?

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses and experiences everyone! It definately helps in deciding - though it sounds like there's no simple answer. At the very least though, it doesn't sound like 16 GB is as "unusable" as I feared. I get that the larger models are more future-proof for songs, pictures, etc., but I was worried that the 16 GB might not get future versions of iOS.

Here's a question though: with my Android, I tend to keep my main music collection on DropBox, and only keep the songs I'm actually listening to on my device. As my mood changes, I delete what's on my device and download a new set of songs. So at any given moment their might be 200 songs on DropBox, but only 10 on my device.

Is it easy to do that sort of swapping with an iPhone? I don't believe I can "download" music files from a cloud service to an iPhone, correct? If not, can I use iTunes to keep only a small selection of songs on the device, while leaving the main collection on the laptop or the cloud?

Is it not easy to swap songs on and off of an iPhone. You can do as you say in the last sentence. Put a few songs on the phone via iTunes and then stream others from the Dropbox app.

Sara_S13

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
For me it is enough. I had purchased an iPhone 64GB space gray, I sold it and bought a 16 gb gold.
Out of 64 GB had occupied only 3GB, I listen music only on Spotify. I sync all of your photos on Dropbox and I'm fine with my 16gb.

(Sorry for my English, I'm from Italy!)

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
For me it is enough. I had purchased an iPhone 64GB space gray, I sold it and bought a 16 gb gold.
Out of 64 GB had occupied only 3GB, I listen music only on Spotify. I sync all of your photos on Dropbox and I'm fine with my 16gb.

(Sorry for my English, I'm from Italy!)

No need to apologize. Your English is better than many people who grew up speaking it.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Depends what cloud service you're talking about. Dropbox and other things no. But I do exactly what you've mentioned in iTunes match . So essentially I've download about thirty songs to my iPhone and I stream the rest when I'm on wifi (which is most of the time on campus or at home). You can delete songs and download others. ITunes match can hold up to 20k songs which is pretty good. Anyways, it isn't free and costs 27 dollars a year but it's worth it to me since you can use it on any ios Or osx device (came in handy when my logic board crashed on my retina macbook). Hope that helps.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO I think the 16GB iPhone will be adequate for your current needs. However I think the 64GB iPhone is a better deal.