Apple kept the 16 gb model as the base and removed the 32 gb model to keep sales of the 32 gb from taking sales away from the 64 gb model. Those (and it's a lot) who are constrained by price to buy the 16 gb model would have got the 32 gb. But many who got the 64 gb model would have gotten the 32 gb if it had been available. Thus, sales of the 64 gb model would have been significantly less. Many people make do with 16 gb with no problem doing so. Apple sells more of the 16 gb than any other model. And now they've solved the update storage issue, negating any reason to up the base model to 32 gb. Most of us on the forums want and need more gb storage. But most stay with the cheapest, regardless of the gb's offered. Most either can't or won't pay $100 more for more storage space, when they do fine with 16 gb. Most don't put 30 gb of music on their phone. Or a bunch of movies. They just don't. My Wife's had a 32 gb iP 5c for almost a year. Out of a capacity of 27.4 gb, she has 22.4 gb available. Of the 5 gb used, about 1 gb are apps I put on her phone for my benefit. She could easily have made do with 16 gb. But the 32 gb was free. Apple knew what they were doing. Will they increase the base to 32 gb in September to appease the minority? Time will tell.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    02-08-2015 02:00 PM
    My wife, who says she "loves" her 5s is fine with 16GB but I'm sure she'd appreciate more space.

I'd echo what I'm sure others have said: If you're gonna keep the device for a couple of years and take lots of photos/videos and have music get more space. You'll appreciate it. However, for my 76 year-old mom 8GB is way more than enough, let alone 16GB.

Me? I got my 6+ with 64GB and hope I don't regret not getting 128GB.
    02-08-2015 04:41 PM
    Lol 16 gb is enough for you guys? Do you even use your phone at all?

Consider that right out of the box you don't really get usable total of 16 FB but more like 13-14 gb space.

If you take some videos and take a lot of pics then that space is basically used up

I thought I read it somewhere Apple still offers the 16 gb option more to entice people to the 64gb option.

Honestly Apple should get rid of the 16 gb as the base model and start at 32 gb
    02-08-2015 05:26 PM
    Lol 16 gb is enough for you guys? Do you even use your phone at all?

Consider that right out of the box you don't really get usable total of 16 FB but more like 13-14 gb space.

If you take some videos and take a lot of pics then that space is basically used up

I thought I read it somewhere Apple still offers the 16 gb option more to entice people to the 64gb option.

Honestly Apple should get rid of the 16 gb as the base model and start at 32 gb
    Do you not have Dropbox, Box, Google Photos, Amazon Cloud Drive, OneDrive, or any other photo/video managing service to auto upload your content to? I would rather keep my content online than on the thing that can get stolen or broken.
    02-08-2015 05:33 PM
    Do you not have Dropbox, Box, Google Photos, Amazon Cloud Drive, OneDrive, or any other photo/video managing service to auto upload your content to? I would rather keep my content online than on the thing that can get stolen or broken.
    While that makes sense to a lot some of us older-schoolers want to have our content local because...well, just because, ya know...The Cloud.
    02-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Has anyone found a definitive answer to this question yet?
    robertk328 likes this.
    02-08-2015 05:57 PM
    Has anyone found a definitive answer to this question yet?
    Lol. There is no definitive answer, its completely subjective.
    02-08-2015 06:16 PM
    I know. But I do have a dead horse here if anyone wants to beat it.
    02-08-2015 06:18 PM
    While that makes sense to a lot some of us older-schoolers want to have our content local because...well, just because, ya know...The Cloud.
    then we're probably the two perfect comparisons for why or why not to get 16GB of storage. I like not having anything local from prior experience of breaking phones and not being to get that content back. as a result, I tend to just not use phone storage, so why pay an extra $100 for something I'm not using?
    02-08-2015 06:51 PM
    I know. But I do have a dead horse here if anyone wants to beat it.
    Someone found a bat!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    zerog46 likes this.
    02-08-2015 07:01 PM
    I keep mine passcode protected with all files saved to the cloud if lost or stolen. I also backup to Dropbox but keep things local as I don't have unlimited data.
    02-09-2015 07:56 AM
    I'm comfortable with my 16gb iPhone6 so far; but only because I carry multiple devices and my iPhone is mainly just a phone.

For movies and music I mainly stream, and for games I use my iPad2.
    02-10-2015 02:23 AM
    How much does a picture take up anyways, honest question?

If I have 4-6gb music on my phone at a given time, and assuming 4gb for the install, that would leave me about 6gb for apps/pictures, but what does that really mean in usage, ie how many pictures and apps can i put on my phone?
    02-10-2015 10:45 PM
    Definitely not. 32 GB would have been much nicer minimum option for iPhone 6. Some portion of 16 GB will also be used up by the default apps anyway.
    02-11-2015 12:17 AM
    Definitely not. 32 GB would have been much nicer minimum option for iPhone 6. Some portion of 16 GB will also be used up by the default apps anyway.
    Yeah, 16 GB devices only come with around 12-13 GB available. 32 should've been the minimum.
    02-11-2015 11:09 PM
    it all depends on what you are trying to use the phone for.

my wife has no problem using it with 8gb.

if youre planning on having a lot of videos and songs, 16gb might not be enough :P
    Haalcyon likes this.
    02-12-2015 03:02 PM
    No.
    02-12-2015 06:34 PM
    I had a 16. I just was so afraid that my music and photos would suck the life out of it. I had about 500 pictures and wallpapers and about 600 songs. I hurried back and bit the bullet and got a 128gb. So glad I did.
    02-12-2015 07:15 PM
    I've used to ALWAYS get the bare minimum when new generations of iPhones came out.. however starting from the iPhone 5 I've noticed that many apps nowadays require to much memory.. and NO I'm not a app hungry person. I just download a few here and there and by the time I realize it, I'm already at maximum capacity. It also doesn't help that the average photo size is bigger now since the Camera quality improves from phone to phone.
    robertk328 likes this.
    02-13-2015 08:10 PM
    I've used to ALWAYS get the bare minimum when new generations of iPhones came out.. however starting from the iPhone 5 I've noticed that many apps nowadays require to much memory.. and NO I'm not a app hungry person. I just download a few here and there and by the time I realize it, I'm already at maximum capacity. It also doesn't help that the average photo size is bigger now since the Camera quality improves from phone to phone.
    I agree with your thoughts 100%. I really think I'm going to go for the 64gb from now on when upgrading
    02-13-2015 08:21 PM
    The 5 was the first time I got the mid-grade and was thrilled when that bumped to 64gb with the 6 because I'm using more than 32gb on it. Mostly the usual stuff... Music photos and apps but I try to purge photos now and then and only keep the music on here that I would actually listen to vs the whole catalog. iTunes Match if I need something.
    02-14-2015 08:16 AM
171 ... 567