If you could install Android on your iPhone 6, would you?

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
So you're avoiding a whole, entire OS just because of your experience with a couple of the many devices available???

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Just because I don't own anything Android does not mean I don't have knowledge about the platform. I watch a lot of podcasts. I read blogs. I do it because I love tech. Do I hang out at Android specific websites and forums or watch Android specific podcasts? No I don't. However, like many geeks I'm tech support for my friends and family. So I do keep up with what's going on with other platforms for when I get asked about them. If I were forced into using Android it would have to be stock Android. However, I still wouldn't want it on my iPhone. I think it'd be a crappy experience. So to answer your question I'm avoiding an entire OS on more than just my experience with a couple of devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Just because I don't own anything Android does not mean I don't have knowledge about the platform. I watch a lot of podcasts. I read blogs. I do it because I love tech. Do I hang out at Android specific websites and forums or watch Android specific podcasts? No I don't. However, like many geeks I'm tech support for my friends and family. So I do keep up with what's going on with other platforms for when I get asked about them. If I were forced into using Android it would have to be stock Android. However, I still wouldn't want it on my iPhone. I think it'd be a crappy experience. So to answer your question I'm avoiding an entire OS on more than just my experience with a couple of devices.

Cool :D It was just from what you said, it sounded like it was based entirely off that.

Stock Android is definitely the closest thing to iOS in many ways. I agree though, it probably wouldn't be the best experience in the iPhone.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Cool :D It was just from what you said, it sounded like it was based entirely off that.

Stock Android is definitely the closest thing to iOS in many ways. I agree though, it probably wouldn't be the best experience in the iPhone.

Sorry. I was being flippant with my answer. My sister's "crap" phones were Samsung's flagship devices at the time. So technically I guess I can't say they were crap, but I still didn't/don't like them.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. I was being flippant with my answer. My sister's "crap" phones were Samsung's flagship devices at the time. So technically I guess I can't say they were crap, but I still didn't/don't like them.

Meh. I like Android devices, but have never really gone for Sammy's stuff I don't really blame you for having that opinion on them

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Why would you install Android on an iPhone when you can just get an Android phone itself? Lol

Well...I guess if you were desperate to have the particularly camera or design of the iPhone, that would be a reason why. I can't think how you could reply justify that though. There are plenty of pretty android phones with good cameras. So basically, there is no point unless you particularly loved the design

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Well...I guess if you were desperate to have the particularly camera or design of the iPhone, that would be a reason why. I can't think how you could really justify that though. There are plenty of pretty android phones with good cameras. So basically, there is no point unless you particularly loved the design

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
In 2011 I had a EVO 3D which had Ginger Bread. It took a year for it to get ICS. By that time I had got a iPhone 4S a month before the iPhone 5 was released.

I could still be using the 4S with the latest iOS. The EVO? I don't think so. The EVO was end of life a year after release.
A year to get a OS update. A OS that was said to be perfect for the specs of the EVO.

There are 6 iPhones that span a 3 year period that can be used with iOS 8. Are there 6 Android phones that run span the same time period that can use Lollipop?

iPad 2. Same deal Almost 4 years old runs latest iOS.

These are a few reasons why I avoid Android devices.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Apps was one of the things holding me back from my switch from Android to iOS.
Why? Apps are much better on iOS. And more of them to choose from. I do a lot of photo editing and Photoshop on my iPhone. If I had Android OS on my iPhone, I wouldn't be able to do those things. The apps just are not there in the Google Play Store. I searched long and hard for them while my wife had her LG. Most photo editing apps for Android are more for enhancments and filters. Maybe that's changed since last year, but I couldn't find anything like Pankaj Goswami's Superimpose and Leonardo Photo Editor. They did have Adobe Photoshop Touch, but I read it was not as good as the iOS version.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

TomsAndroid

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
In 2011 I had a EVO 3D which had Ginger Bread. It took a year for it to get ICS. By that time I had got a iPhone 4S a month before the iPhone 5 was released.

I could still be using the 4S with the latest iOS. The EVO? I don't think so. The EVO was end of life a year after release.
A year to get a OS update. A OS that was said to be perfect for the specs of the EVO.

There are 6 iPhones that span a 3 year period that can be used with iOS 8. Are there 6 Android phones that run span the same time period that can use Lollipop?

iPad 2. Same deal Almost 4 years old runs latest iOS.

These are a few reasons why I avoid Android devices.

While updates are still a valid reason to prefer iOS, stock android is a different story. Just look at the Nexus 4. That is getting Lollipop, possibly looking at the next minor version of that if there is one.

Then there is also this: Apple seems to update iOS devices just for sake of updating them. They have wonderful stats of X% being on the latest version etc. Then you look a bit deeper and start to notice how poor the updates can be. Even my iPad Mini 2 isn't running iOS 8 as smoothly as 7. I can't imagine iOS 9 or beyond. Performance seems to be very poor with iOS updates to older devices. Of course, the devices may sometimes miss out on new features that they could probably cope with, if Apple decided to put in a bit of effort to optimise.

Yes, Apple gets its updates out very quickly, and provides updates for while, but the story is deeper than that. Stock Android is very good in these regards too, although other manufacturers aren't always as consistent.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Why? Apps are much better on iOS. And more of them to choose from. I do a lot of photo editing and Photoshop on my iPhone. If I had Android OS on my iPhone, I wouldn't be able to do those things. The apps just are not there in the Google Play Store. I searched long and hard for them while my wife had her LG. Most photo editing apps for Android are more for enhancments and filters. Maybe that's changed since last year, but I couldn't find anything like Pankaj Goswami's Superimpose and Leonardo Photo Editor. They did have Adobe Photoshop Touch, but I read it was not as good as the iOS version.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Because most of the apps I use I had to buy again or find something equal. They are more polished on iOS.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I would rather try installing iOS on any android phone. That might be cool than trying android on iphone. I have seen people installed Yosemite on windows machines n they even work faster and stable and better than the latest model of the MacBook Pro. Yeah it's fun to mess up things like this anyway

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I see stock android is good on one line of phone the Nexus. What about the hundreds of other Android phones out there. I would guess that there are more other Android phones than the Nexus line.
Of course older iDevices take a performance hit with iOS 8. I'm have the belief of using the technology and not letting it use me.
My iPad 2 with iOS 8 doesn't get the work that it did when it was new but it gets it done.
The manufacturers of Android devices should give users the option of using stock Android. That to me is more of a plan than the wish of Android being installed on a iPhone. But the lock down that Apple is always accused is greatly demonstrated by Android makers such as Touch Wiz, HTC Sense. I'm always reading about Samsung users hating Touch Wiz.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Why would you install Android on an iPhone when you can just get an Android phone itself? Lol

I understand the humor, and the whole spec thing, just did not want to get into it. I've owned many android phones and don't feel like buying anymore. I love my Apple Hardware and trying different things I would not just limit it to android I would also like to try other OS's as well.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I still think that having a dual boot device that could do iOS and Android, that idea is a bit magical to me. It could be really fun. I do think that spec wise, it would make more sense to put iOS on an Android phone. My Note 3 would be an amazing candidate to run iOS 8.1...

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would rather try installing iOS on any android phone. That might be cool than trying android on iphone. I have seen people installed Yosemite on windows machines n they even work faster and stable and better than the latest model of the MacBook Pro. Yeah it's fun to mess up things like this anyway

I do have a kick **** Hacintosh, I'll say no more about that here.:biggrin: