VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVV

Better solution is to not get bent out of shape about ridiculous rumors that have no basis in reality.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There, I just fixed your problem.
    11-05-2014 03:32 PM
    Better yet, what is the source of this absurd rumor that's getting you all bent out of shape? What is the credibility of said source?

If I started a rumor that Apple has decided this will be the last year of the iPhone and they are shutting down, will you automatically believe it? Are you that easily influenced?
    11-05-2014 03:35 PM
    The OP is clearly either new to the iPhone or have no idea how Apple work to believe that. When it comes to the iPhone, thanks to the excellent OS optimisation, specs don't matter. The RAM has climbed extremely slowly since the very first model. I highly doubt the next model will see 2GB RAM as it won't be needed. Atm most apps are optimised for the iPhone 5. I believe as far back as the 4s were all able to upgrade to iOS8. That's 3 years. A typical phone contract lasts two years. By the time the latest iOS version isn't available on your device you'll have upgraded to a later model.

To the person who said they were getting the s model next year upon its release don't waste your money. If you already have a 6 you won't feel the benefits and as most apps/games are optimised for iPhone 5 you're better to the iPhone 7 the following year and upgrade to that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    avital likes this.
    11-05-2014 09:32 PM
    Apple is holding the cards on what devices can upgrade and when basically they stop supporting the old devices. But given the huge sales of their latest phone, I fully believe they will continue supporting this phone for a long time.

If I remember correctly the 6 and maybe 5S have double the RAM of the 4s. I had little problem running ios8 on my old 4S. The only reason why I upgraded to the 6 was basically the big trade in they were giving.
    11-06-2014 07:53 AM
    You think they will release 6s next year with maybe like 2 gb ram?
    Most likely yes. Every year they release a new and improved iPhone. Why wouldn't next year be the same?

Like I said, Apple has done this before and it in no way impacted my iPhone 3G. I kept using for another entire year with no problems at all. You are freaking out about nothing.

Also, with the iPhone the spec sheet means very little. My iPhone 5 is running just fine as well with 512MB of RAM right next to my iPhone 6 both with iOS 8.1. If you want to obsess over spec sheets I suggest you buy an Android device and head over to Android Central. Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone and forget about specs.
    11-06-2014 08:18 AM
    Most likely yes. Every year they release a new and improved iPhone. Why wouldn't next year be the same?

Like I said, Apple has done this before and it in no way impacted my iPhone 3G. I kept using for another entire year with no problems at all. You are freaking out about nothing.

Also, with the iPhone the spec sheet means very little. My iPhone 5 is running just fine as well with 512MB of RAM right next to my iPhone 6 both with iOS 8.1. If you want to obsess over spec sheets I suggest you buy an Android device and head over to Android Central. Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone and forget about specs.
    From what i have read the lifespan of Android is even shorter than IPhones...
    11-06-2014 09:55 AM
    From my experience that is true, it depends on the manufacturer and their software. The longest I keep a phone as a daily driver is 2 years. In fact prior to the iPhone the longest I had ever kept a single phone was maybe 6 months tops. All my iPhones have easily crossed the 2 year threshold except for my OG iPhone. But that was only because at the time the OG iPhone had a big resale premium on it at the time and I made money by selling that and buying the iPhone 3G when it was released.
    avital likes this.
    11-06-2014 11:41 AM
    Yeah, for sure. Software updates take forever to get to your device, even if they get to your device in the first place. 6 months down the road they are outdated, with the exception of Nexus and GPE phones.
    avital likes this.
    11-06-2014 11:43 AM
    In the 90s there was no software updates. It was just a phone, no updates to download nothing but a basic phone. Do you remember those times?

I think those phones were built to last. I still have an old Nokia with black and white display, no camera no nothing. But i bet its still working like new if i would charge and try it.

No need to say "better use your old Nokia then!" Its just interesting to think back on how everything changes. Sometimes old stuffs better than new regarding build quality.
    11-06-2014 12:39 PM
    The only issue my iP 5 has had on iOS 8, is my messages app messing up. It freezes up and the keyboard vanishes at times. But since I deleted one of the 3rd party keyboards, it's done better. I have a few other minor issues, but they're not 5 specific. My Wife's 5c still works great. If Apple makes their phones obsolete too soon, there would be a backlash. People expect a phone to last longer than 2 years. Most of us here on the forums upgrade at least every 2 years. Some every year. But many may go as long as their battery holds up. For some, that may be 4 years. There's still people using the 3G.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-06-2014 01:47 PM
    In the 90s there was no software updates. It was just a phone, no updates to download nothing but a basic phone. Do you remember those times?

I think those phones were built to last. I still have an old Nokia with black and white display, no camera no nothing. But i bet its still working like new if i would charge and try it.

No need to say "better use your old Nokia then!" Its just interesting to think back on how everything changes. Sometimes old stuffs better than new regarding build quality.
    You're confusing "build quality" with what you're actually looking to find. The phones can last just as long. But, that's not what you want. You want them to continue receiving software updates to add functionality in addition to hardware to magically appear within the device. That's not a conversation about build quality.

You're worried the device with become "obsolete" in relation to the other devices in the market. In that context, the old phones are far more obsolete. If we're basing "build quality" on this, then those phones have terrible build quality, by relation. After all, the phones that came after those phones were drastically improved. The phones releasing now are often with negligible changes that are more gimmick than function. If we apply your shortsighted definition of "build quality," it still doesn't favor your argument.

Here's the sad thing. You don't realize that by pointing out old phones couldn't be updated where new phones can that you're pointing out newer devices are built to last longer than older devices. You can either opt to maintain the same functionality you received before, and have it be no different than an older phone without software updates, or you can extend the "life" of your phone by adding more functionality. Either way, it's no worse off than the device you're pretending had greater build quality.
    11-06-2014 02:06 PM
    You're confusing "build quality" with what you're actually looking to find. The phones can last just as long. But, that's not what you want. You want them to continue receiving software updates to add functionality in addition to hardware to magically appear within the device. That's not a conversation about build quality.

You're worried the device with become "obsolete" in relation to the other devices in the market. In that context, the old phones are far more obsolete. If we're basing "build quality" on this, then those phones have terrible build quality, by relation. After all, the phones that came after those phones were drastically improved. The phones releasing now are often with negligible changes that are more gimmick than function. If we apply your shortsighted definition of "build quality," it still doesn't favor your argument.

Here's the sad thing. You don't realize that by pointing out old phones couldn't be updated where new phones can that you're pointing out newer devices are built to last longer than older devices. You can either opt to maintain the same functionality you received before, and have it be no different than an older phone without software updates, or you can extend the "life" of your phone by adding more functionality. Either way, it's no worse off than the device you're pretending had greater build quality.
    You are right. Maybe i misunderstood a little.
    I guess this is how its suppose to be, as technology changes fast. I remember when i bought the iPhone 4s like yesterday. It was brand new and the best phone you could buy. Many people still used the 3GS and i had the 4s. It was such a great feeling. As i said the memory is still fresh, but time moves on. Now 4s is old and i dont see people using them that much anymore. It feels strange since it wasnt like 15 years ago or something, but i know its perfectly normal as time change.

I read someone said "im still using my old antique iPhone 5" and i remember when the 5 was new and everyone was like "wow you have an iPhone 5?!" that wasnt long ago either. Oh well, im probably just too sentimental
    11-06-2014 05:45 PM
    How about this, I have an old Nokia brick phone from a wireless company called primeco , circa late 90s, that's Still turns on. Black-and-white dotmatrix screen. At that time I thought it was the coolest thing to make phone calls from anywhere. My whopping 150 monthly minutes and I could call out as far as about 20 miles without roaming. but let's see in 15 years what my iPhone six will do. :-)
    11-07-2014 01:39 PM
    How about this, I have an old Nokia brick phone from a wireless company called primeco , circa late 90s, that's Still turns on. Black-and-white dotmatrix screen. At that time I thought it was the coolest thing to make phone calls from anywhere. My whopping 150 monthly minutes and I could call out as far as about 20 miles without roaming. but let's see in 15 years what my iPhone six will do. :-)
    You think your Iphone 6 wont operate like your old Nokia in 15 years?
    (just curious dont get me wrong)
    11-07-2014 04:35 PM
    Anyone that is comparing durability and build quality to Nokia brick phones is being short sighted. For one, using the Nokia's ability to simply "turn on" is almost a laughable criteria for success...secondly, and this is the more important part...you can't use an old Nokia phone right now for any legitimate cellular phone usage, and I'm going to guess, in 15 years it'll be the same for smart phones we're using today...as technology changes (and changes so quickly), functionality becomes obsolete quicker than ever, but it has nothing to do with the build quality of the device.

My friend still has an original iPhone...and still functions perfectly outside of being a cell phone...iPod still works, camera still works, and he actually had someone offer him like $200 for it one day because it's mint in the box. That's approaching 10 years old faster than you know it.
    11-07-2014 11:43 PM
    I find the iPhone 6 to be the best to date. Whether it lasts is moot in this day and age as tech changes too fast. My opinion is get in early and enjoy it for all its worth.
    calebt, Flow39 and MuttX7 like this.
    11-08-2014 01:35 AM
    I agree I get a new iPhone yearly anyways ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Flow39 likes this.
    11-09-2014 04:11 PM
    I agree I get a new iPhone yearly anyways ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Same here!
    11-09-2014 07:23 PM
    Looking at the demand and sales figures for the 6 thus far, I'd say the 6 isn't going away any time soon.

Sent from my 128GB iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk.
    Flow39 and avital like this.
    11-14-2014 08:08 AM
    Even if it stopped receiving updates the 6 is still a fantastic device. Contracts last two years typically and updates will be available at least that long.

I'm amazed this thread has been so popular and gone on as long as it has as the topic is rather moot.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-24-2014 10:30 AM
70 123