Done with Fragmentation

tmx31415

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I am done with Android and all of the Fragmentation associated with it. I'm tired of wondering if my device will get an update or if I am stuck with what I have. I have a 6 and will soon switch the ecosystem. I am so glad to have IOS...

Posted via iMore App

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I am done with Android and all of the Fragmentation associated with it. I'm tired of wondering if my device will get an update or if I am stuck with what I have. I have a 6 and will soon switch the ecosystem. I am so glad to have IOS...

Posted via iMore App

Glad you're liking it over here on iOS! I know for me iOS is the way to go. I love the iOS ecosystem and how everything just works :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Some around here would try to tell you that Apple is the company with all the fragmentation.

But I get where you’re coming form. Welcome to the world of iOS.

mistabritt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and iOS. Congrats on getting a 6 which is what I have also. You're gonna love Apple. I had Android a few years ago, and I know what you mean when you say you wonder if your current device (many times something you just purchased) would be getting whatever dessert Google was getting ready to release. I hated that with a passion. Which is why I switched to iOS. At least you know what ever new device you have, you could be certain you would be getting the next 2-3 years of updates. Maybe not all of the brand-spanking new features, but at least it's still somewhat upgradeable.

mitc5502

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Eh, to be fair, Android fragmentation is largely the fault of the carriers and, to a lesser extent, the OEMs. If you buy a Nexus device or a Google Play edition of a non-Nexus device, fragmentation simply isn't an issue. I prefer Apple's ecosystem and hardware, but never had any complaints about updates when I had a Nexus 4 and 7.

bsbabcock

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Posted via iMore App

Yep. Same here. While two years from now is a different world, for now while apple doesn't allow the carriers to control their updates, I'm a fan. Though if I went back it'd have to be an unlocked nexus.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Some around here would try to tell you that Apple is the company with all the fragmentation.

But I get where you’re coming form. Welcome to the world of iOS.

Very true. Granted, there is a really limited amount of fragmentation due to iOS now having a history of going back a couple of years and still being on the market. But I don't even know if that should be considered fragmentation of any kind. Actually, no. It isn't fragmentation. Because when iOS gets its updates, they're not months between each other for each device or 100% carrier dependent.

ajg83

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Posted via iMore App

This is why I also left Android, I was tired of having a 6 month old phone and a new phone comes out and suddenly my phone was outdated because if we did get an update it wouldn't be until 3-4 months later. I like that Apple supports their older phones, I switched about a year ago to an iPhone and shortly after I got an iPad Air and I couldn't be happier.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Posted via iMore App
Welcome! That's the exact reason I got off of Windows Mobile around ver 6 and got my first iPhone, a 5. I got tired of vendors who forced-obsolescence in my phone. I love how Apple continues to update the phones even when they are not the latest - and it happens right away!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Let's not pretend that there isn't fragmentation on iOS either. While not nearly as prevalent as Android, it does exist. For example, look at the iOS 8 adoption numbers. Much lower than iOS 7. Early guesses are because of the space needed to update to iOS 8 and I assume most non-techie people aren't going to care or know how to update using iTunes.

Several features found on iOS 8 for the 6 and 6 Plus will not exist on older models due to hardware differences as well. There are other things, but the fragmentation is much more manageable than Android.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Let's not pretend that there isn't fragmentation on iOS either. While not nearly as prevalent as Android, it does exist. For example, look at the iOS 8 adoption numbers. Much lower than iOS 7. Early guesses are because of the space needed to update to iOS 8 and I assume most non-techie people aren't going to care or know how to update using iTunes.

Several features found on iOS 8 for the 6 and 6 Plus will not exist on older models due to hardware differences as well. There are other things, but the fragmentation is much more manageable than Android.
I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who aren't us updated from iOS 6 to iOS 7 and were overwhelmed with a dramatic change. With that, they become more cautious of doing updates since they're not really in the know like we are.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro