Can't decide between the Apple leather and silicone cases...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I think as of right now I'm swaying towards the gray silicone case for a couple reasons:

1) I think I'd prefer gray over black because I currently have a black Otterbox Symmetry case. That would get me a little variety in color without getting too crazy.

2) The silicone cases seemed to fair better in drop test videos. Granted these tests are next to meaningless because it's all about how you drop the device (angle it lands on, ground surface, etc). Thanks again everyone!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I think as of right now I'm swaying towards the gray silicone case for a couple reasons:

1) I think I'd prefer gray over black because I currently have a black Otterbox Symmetry case. That would get me a little variety in color without getting too crazy.

2) The silicone cases seemed to fair better in drop test videos. Granted these tests are next to meaningless because it's all about how you drop the device (angle it lands on, ground surface, etc). Thanks again everyone!

Nice choice, I love mine! :)

beej

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the green silicone case for almost 2 weeks. I'm sure it'll hold up well, but I ended up returning it--it was just too sticky trying to get it in and out of my pocket.

I'm now using the olive brown leather case and LOVE it. It feels great, and I'm excited to see how it develops over time...it'll break in nicely.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have the silicon cases for the 6 and 6 plus. They work great. My only complaint is they stick to the inside of my slacks now and then and I get the empty pocket look if I forget to put the fabric back in.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I have two leather cases and one silicone case. The leather cases provide just enough grip to make the phone easier to hold. The silicone case is more grippy, which is nice when out walking about, but it does attract a little more lint (and in my situation, dog hair) and is a little more difficult to extract from your pants/shorts pockets. I prefer the leather for most situations. As far as protection, I wouldn't consider either to be great. Not much "padding" and both are rather open on the bottom. I got AppleCare+ when I bought my phone, so for now, I'm just hoping I don't need it. Sometime in the future, I'll get a LifeProof or other waterproof case to use when in less ideal conditions.

Edit: Also, if you're near an Apple Store, they should have some demo units to see how they feel in hand.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
When I got my iPhone 6 I went into the store intending to get the black leather. I held the silicone because the sales guy had one, and it felt so smooth and nice....about a month later I still am amazed by it. I don't think you will go wrong getting either, but I Love the silicone one. It does gather a little lint in the pocket, but most times you can even blow it off, a very lightly dampened cloth makes it look like brand new. I love how you can just "slide" dust of the front to the phone because the bumper doesn't go all the way around - people said this was a bad design, I think it's genius. Between the case and the phone this is the best my phone has ever looked :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the black silicone and the olive leather. I'll report back when I get them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 finally!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have them both. The blue leather and the red silicone. I really like them both.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

sydneycooper1979

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Also I did see a drop test (on youtube) where the silicone did a better job protecting the phone than the leather one did. And silicone won't wear like leather--which could be a good or bad thing.

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually own both the leather and silicone case, the silicone case actually fits and looks better than leather. Leather only took one day to have a scuff. The silicone still looks new after 2 weeks. I do often switch but silicone does seem to last longer than leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I saw an an video about how iPhone 6 lasts when dropped from different heights with Apple leather case and silicon. For some reason the leather one got shattered glass where silicon version bounced off the concrete, thus saving the glass from impact. The leather one just *thud* on concrete without any bouncing.

Those tests were not very scientific....I would not base your decision on that alone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR