Can't decide between the Apple leather and silicone cases...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
How's it going, everyone?!

Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone using Apple cases. I'm looking at picking up either the leather or silicone Apple iPhone 6 case on Saturday (since I'm going to be near an Apple store).

I thought I wanted the black silicone case (I have a Silver iPhone 6) but now I'm not so sure. I'm torn between the black leather (since it won't get discolored) and the black/white/green silicone cases. It's hard to tell online what kind of green it is (pastel? neon?). Wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have been using these cases (silicone in particular) and maybe so photos if possible?

Thanks!

PS - Just noticed this was my 800th post.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of threads covering both the leather and silicone cases in both the 6 and 6 Plus subs. Your question has been answered probably a thousand times already.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
How's it going, everyone?!

Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone using Apple cases. I'm looking at picking up either the leather or silicone Apple iPhone 6 case on Saturday (since I'm going to be near an Apple store).

I thought I wanted the black silicone case (I have a Silver iPhone 6) but now I'm not so sure. I'm torn between the black leather (since it won't get discolored) and the black/white/green silicone cases. It's hard to tell online what kind of green it is (pastel? neon?). Wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have been using these cases (silicone in particular) and maybe so photos if possible?

Thanks!

PS - Just noticed this was my 800th post.

Apple leather case for sure... Better grip and premium build

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of threads covering both the leather and silicone cases in both the 6 and 6 Plus subs. Your question has been answered probably a thousand times already.

I searched the threads (by title) and only came up with 2 results - neither had anything to do with apples silicone cases. Not sure what I did wrong?

13900797be44e2389fcfcb63bccf7739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what your search criteria is, but I just looked at the launch page for this sub alone and there was 4 different case threads, 3 of which were in reference to the Apple specific cases. Just look man...gotta put in a little more effort.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the Black Silicone case and I love it! Very slim, adds some grip to an otherwise slippery phone, looks great! I have to tell you though, the Silicone case in black is actually more of a Gray color than a dark black. :)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the Black Silicone case and I love it! Very slim, adds some grip to an otherwise slippery phone, looks great! I have to tell you though, the Silicone case in black is actually more of a Gray color than a dark black. :)

I wouldn't be opposed to a dark gray case. I had 2 speck cases bite the dust on my (the rubber pulled away from the plastic on both). Right now I'm using my black Otterbox symmetry. I'd like something a little different than that so the gray would be good. Do you notice it picking up much lint or finger prints?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't be opposed to a dark gray case. I had 2 speck cases bite the dust on my (the rubber pulled away from the plastic on both). Right now I'm using my black Otterbox symmetry. I'd like something a little different than that so the gray would be good. Do you notice it picking up much lint or finger prints?

It picks up a little lint in your pockets, but it doesn't pick up hardly any fingerprints at all

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Unless you have an "issue" with leather, or a particular color- there is no comparison- get the leather olive/brown looks great on space grey. Softens over time and protects the camera lens.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have two of the leather cases (brown and blue). Love them. The silicone ones are nice, too. I love the black(grey) one, but I think they're a bit too grippy for my liking. Hard to get in and out of pockets. I have never considered a leather case for any previous iPhones until I saw the black one on my friend's 6+ and I knew that I had to have one.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Midnight Blue leather case and the blue silicone case. They're both great cases, but I prefer the leather. When I'm at home, I use leather. When I'm out, I use silicone because I can clean it with alcohol swabs when I get home, which isn't good for leather. As for the precise color of the blue silicone version, it's kind of like a pastel blue with a hint of electric blue, maybe a 80/20 ratio. They both provide a good grip, but that can present a problem with the silicone version as it can grip your pocket when you're trying to get it out. It is, however, by far the best silicone case in existence. It isn't flimsy like most of them are and it's lined with a velvet-type material just like the leather. Lots of people complain about the discoloration of the lighter versions of the leather but as long as you take good care of it, it won't happen. I had the Product Red leather case for my 5S and had it for 9 months without sustaining a single mark or stain. This time, though, I wanted something different so I opted for Midnight Blue and I like it even better. Red was great with Space Gray, but I hate the Space Gray 6 and got white/silver instead and the Midnight Blue just makes the face of the phone pop. Each version has its selling points, but you certainly can't go wrong with either one.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what your search criteria is, but I just looked at the launch page for this sub alone and there was 4 different case threads, 3 of which were in reference to the Apple specific cases. Just look man...gotta put in a little more effort.

The search terms are right in the photo posted above your post. Right under the large "Search" type. The type is large and bold if you "just look man" ;)

I'm getting more results from silicone than shown in that screen grab. Probably try "leather" as well as there are a few threads on that one and the color etc.

When you're at the store, I would try the cases on and see what feels better. The leather is a natural product so keep that in mind if you're picky. Also I think there was a YouTube video of the protection from drops - compared the two and I think the silicone did better. Not sure if that's a concern but worth a look.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the red leather case. It is very nice. Very thin. Very well made. I'm afraid to use it at work, though, because I work in a hospital and wash my hands a thousand times a day- I don't want to get it wet. I have some "snowproof" leather treatment I'd like to apply to it, then it might be okay. Fortunately, I have a bunch of other cases which are plastic or silicone, so the leather case can be reserved for not work.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have green rubber case. It's not bad but way bottom is cut out kind of "rubs me the wrong way" lol. It's more of a "spring green" maybe you could call it though. A pretty good case but better choices for the money.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd personally prefer the leather case. If the silicone case was actually black and not a dark grey color I would've gone with that just for the price. Plus the leather feels a lot nice in the hand imo.

By the way, most apple stores have both cases for you to try out.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have green rubber case. It's not bad but way bottom is cut out kind of "rubs me the wrong way" lol. It's more of a "spring green" maybe you could call it though. A pretty good case but better choices for the money.

The colored silicone cases are close in color to the 5C colors if that helps.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The search terms are right in the photo posted above your post. Right under the large "Search" type. The type is large and bold if you "just look man" ;)

I'm going to help you here since you seem to be confused...I said I wasn't sure what search CRITERIA he used, I never said I was confused as to what he searched for (since it was clearly right in the search field). Perhaps next time you decide to chime in in such a way, you make sure you yourself understand what is being suggested before you attempt to correct someone...helps prevent looking like a tool and all. Thanks for playing.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I saw an an video about how iPhone 6 lasts when dropped from different heights with Apple leather case and silicon. For some reason the leather one got shattered glass where silicon version bounced off the concrete, thus saving the glass from impact. The leather one just *thud* on concrete without any bouncing.