Check if the phone is refurbished?

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my Iphone 6 replaced 2 days ago at the Apple store. I was very surprised when i saw the apple guy came out with a small white box, a non retail box, i was thinking wtf is THAT? Then i was thinking oh maybe its just new from the factory not being packed in a retail box yet. But now im not sure whats going on here...

So is there a was to check if the phone i got i refurbished or not? I paid for a new phone and got second hand crap??

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
But this was a non retail small white box. When i bought the phone, it came in the real box. This was just a very small white package with no space for anything else than the phone.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
But this was a non retail small white box. When i bought the phone, it came in the real box. This was just a very small white package with no space for anything else than the phone.

So the box came with no ear buds or charger. just a phone,

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I was stupid. I didnt ask, i forgot about it. They dont have the Iphone 6 in stock on the website.
The genius said "this is a new one, we dont have many, but i found one, its service units we just got if we have to give out a new phone to our customers" so i was thinking oh well, it must be brand new from the factory. He didnt ask for my original box, headphones, charger or anything. I left that in the car ready to go get it. But no, just a new phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
All replacement units (refurb or new) come in nonretail boxes. It has always been that way. They then ship your returned unit back in those boxes.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this early in I don't think they've had time to refurbish phones yet. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't new.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As someone already said this early after the release I don't think it is a re-furb phone. I am just guessing here but I bet that Apple uses this type of packaging for exchange is simply that they know you already have the charger and ear buds. This way it is cheaper to just give you the phone rather than the whole package. It may not sound like much but in the end it all adds up to savings for Apple.

I got the same thing about this time last year when I thought there was problem with my iPhone 5S buit then thought about it for a couple of minutes and came up with my assumption above.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I think the good thing here is that if anything goes wrong with it, taking it to Apple and they should fix/replace it for you without hesitation...

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had my 2 week old iPhone 6 replacement shipped right from Apple also. My volume down button was indented and not to responsive. Called apple and they shipped a replacement the next day in a slim white box. Looked brand new to me. They have them in slim non retail boxes for this very reason. Keep all existing stuff from your original. Love the customer service. First time ever I had to call Apple for support. Top notch.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
From my understanding the refurbs have a new shell, but some recycled internals, from other phones that have been returned for other reasons. I believe a lot of the refurbs are new, just pieced together. I was leery of refurbs too at first. I've had a few refurb iPhones and I think they worked better than any new ones I've had. No reason to worry.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding the refurbs have a new shell, but some recycled internals, from other phones that have been returned for other reasons. I believe a lot of the refurbs are new, just pieced together. I was leery of refurbs too at first. I've had a few refurb iPhones and I think they worked better than any new ones I've had. No reason to worry.
They have a 100 point check system. If anything is bad, they do replace it. That's what makes refurbished phones good. Plus they put in a new battery.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
They have a 100 point check system. If anything is bad, they do replace it. That's what makes refurbished phones good. Plus they put in a new battery.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Apple is the only company I trust with refurbished phones/ iPads. They do an excellent job on them, everyone I talk to never has a problem.

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing happen when I replaced my 6+ (week old which I paid full retail price for) after it crapped out on me for no apparent reason - most likely a lemon. However, the sales person (or genius whatever they're called) after coming to the conclusion that I qualified for a replacement, came back out with the mentioned thin box, and immediately thought to myself "here we go, a refurb" lol. After some questioning I was reassured that it was not a refurb, but indeed brand new, and that they have a stock of these "new" phones strictly for replacements. I believed her, and am confident it is new. The phone is perfect in all aspects, wrapped in plastic film etc.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I got my Iphone 6 replaced 2 days ago at the Apple store. I was very surprised when i saw the apple guy came out with a small white box, a non retail box, i was thinking wtf is THAT? Then i was thinking oh maybe its just new from the factory not being packed in a retail box yet. But now im not sure whats going on here...

So is there a was to check if the phone i got i refurbished or not? I paid for a new phone and got second hand crap??

Refurbished.

Few others on another form got refurbs based on their build date.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods