[Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Design Isn't That Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That is the thing the design of the device is actually the outward appearance of the device itself, and I am very picky when it comes to size. There is a reason I am still using a Droid Razr M, I can't find any other device to replace it with, and the only device that I may consider is the Z3 Compact and that is not for Verizon, so here I am on the same phone.

If I was shopping for an Android phone, then I will get the Sony Z3 Compact. From what I read it is a great phone. It has a large battery, a 4.6 720p display, and a good camera, an all glass design a la iPhone 4/4s.

The problem is how do you get the carriers to allow you to use it on your network? Does it even work effectively on their network? I have read a lot of threads with so say it does and some having a hard time getting it to work. You do not want to pay $530 on a phone only to have problems using it on our admittedly crappy networks.

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not loving the design either. However, I still want one, and once I put a case on it the ugliness gets hidden. Looking forward to getting a 6. (Not 6+ though)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have since this thinness craze took hold earlier this year, have thought thinness was a ploy, because no one can actually give really answers as to WHY it needs to be thin. Because we you make things thin you have to either make it taller and wider or sacrifice some stuff. More often than not thinness leads to smaller batteries and worse battery life. Not saying the 6 has bad battery life, but it could have been even better if it was a bit thicker.

First of all, you framed this discussion as an opinion. As such, no one can say that your opinion is right or wrong - it is what it is - your opinion. I don’t happen to agree with you, but that is my opinion. And as opinions go, everyone is entitled to their own, and no opinion is more correct or more incorrect than another.

I just wanted to point out that your statement that "since this thinness craze took hold earlier this year" is factually incorrect. Apple and other manufacturers have been obsessed with thinness for years. Each year and each new device is thinner than the previous model. It’s not a "ploy", it’s Apple's opinion. Again, they are entitled to it. And while there may be technical reasons why it’s good or bad to be so thin, but Apple is free to design and manufacture devices as they see fit.

All design forces compromise. Thinner, larger screens, battery life and aesthetics all factor into the design. As consumers, we must decide if the trade offs made my Apple or any other manufacturer result in a better device. So far, Apple has continued to impress, at least for me.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the thinner feel of the iPhone 6. That being said Apple in an effort to be the "thinest" has sacrificed a bit of the durability of the phone. I don't carry my iPhone in my pockets I use a holster. I always have for all of my cell phones since after my 1st cell phone, a Motorola Bag phone. With this aid the new iPad Air 2 is only 1.4 mm thinner than the iPad Air. Who in this world is going to feel the difference?

The thinness of the iPhone 6 is nice BUT it is ONLY 0.7 mm thinner that the iPhone 5S. Again can anyone really feel the difference?

Being the "thinest" to me is just a marketing game/ploy. Just another thing to brag about. BUT now Apple has a cell phone that can bend if kept in a pocket for any length of time. Now Apple has an iPad that can be bent. I think these facts are worse for Apple and that any advantage of being the "thinest" is negated.

The whole "bendgate" has been grossly over reported and exaggerated. I’ve had my 6 Plus since launch day, I carry it in my pocket, and mine shows no sign of bending. That may be anecdotal to you, but it’s relevant and factual to me.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not loving the design either. However, I still want one, and once I put a case on it the ugliness gets hidden. Looking forward to getting a 6. (Not 6+ though)

I have a transparent case on mine as well as two other cases. One is a fantastic tpu case from Diztronic and the other is a caseology slim dual.

I do not line the transparent case because the phone is not that good looking. I love the way the glass tapers into the metal, though.

I am using the caseology more and more, because it protects more and gives the iPhone a slight heft that I think it needs.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I do not like the aesthetics of the antenna breaks but it's DEFINITELY very well crafted quality-wise.

I am picky about the aesthetics of my phones but I can always put a case on 'em, which I usually do anyways so the back of the 6 really doesn't bother me THAT much. I also do not spend large amounts of time looking at the back of my phone.

With that said, I love the overall design of my 6.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I have no issues with the antenna lines on the iPhone 5 nor the HTC One when I had it. I also think Apple should continue to use their home button and not ditch it for capacitive buttons like most Android phone all in the hope for "thinner bezels." If the trade-off for Touch-ID is bigger bezels them I am all for it but that is just me. I hear these suggestions that Apple should do all of these things and in the end, what you get, is an Android device. I don't think a half a centimeter on the top is cause for issue. I also don't see how the push for thinner and light devices hasn't been going on since the invention of the cell phone. However I can respect that for some the iPhone might be too light and feel too thin after all, every time I pick up most Android devices, especially Samsung devices, it feels cheap and the plastic ruins it for me; that's why I wanted to badly for the HTC One to be my android pick but ultimately it failed in other areas. This is why I am glad there are multiple companies for everyone's preferences

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree some what with what you say, I don’t like the antennas line, I wish the phone was a little thicker so the protruding camera was a eliminated also a bigger battery could have been used.

For me the good out weighs the bad.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The whole "bendgate" has been grossly over reported and exaggerated. I’ve had my 6 Plus since launch day, I carry it in my pocket, and mine shows no sign of bending. That may be anecdotal to you, but it’s relevant and factual to me.

It is a fact that a few of the iPhone 6+s bend. You may not have your 6+ bend but there are others who have. This is a fact. Even with just a couple of 6+s that have bent it still made the news and industry publications. Again as I stated the thing about how thin a iPhone and iPad is is purely a marketing gimmick, nothing more. BUT the fact that it is publicized is a problem for Apple. There are some potential buyers out there that will use this and other minor flaws to make their decision not to buy the iPhone solely on those few flaws.

I don't think that the flaws that have been publicized will sway too many from buying and iPhone but but it is certainly a "small" black mark on Apples reputation.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
In a case all phones look alike. I care about the screen. The back could be painted purple with pink stripes and I wouldn't care.

In less than 2 years we're on to something else. You can bet Apple realizes the importance of the world's most valuable product and will continue to improve iPhone design.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If I was shopping for an Android phone, then I will get the Sony Z3 Compact. From what I read it is a great phone. It has a large battery, a 4.6 720p display, and a good camera, an all glass design a la iPhone 4/4s.

The problem is how do you get the carriers to allow you to use it on your network? Does it even work effectively on their network? I have read a lot of threads with so say it does and some having a hard time getting it to work. You do not want to pay $530 on a phone only to have problems using it on our admittedly crappy networks.

I won't be getting it because as i said, I am on Verizon. The main reason I was looking at getting an iPhone was for updates. I can still see myself getting an iPhone 5S still to use for a year.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It is a fact that a few of the iPhone 6+s bend. You may not have your 6+ bend but there are others who have. This is a fact. Even with just a couple of 6+s that have bent it still made the news and industry publications. Again as I stated the thing about how thin a iPhone and iPad is is purely a marketing gimmick, nothing more. BUT the fact that it is publicized is a problem for Apple. There are some potential buyers out there that will use this and other minor flaws to make their decision not to buy the iPhone solely on those few flaws.

I don't think that the flaws that have been publicized will sway too many from buying and iPhone but but it is certainly a "small" black mark on Apples reputation.

Several 5 and 5S's bent...yet you seem to have no issue with that phone.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Most phones can be bent if you try hard enough. There is plenty of evidence that the majority of the bent phones are damaged intentionally. Does that mean that all of the cases are intentional? Absolutely not. But most of the youtube stuff is. Other brands of phones also bend, but let Apple's bend and it’s the end of the world. Why is that? Could it be because it’s Apple, and those who bend/report the bent devices are gunning for Apple? IMHO, that is most definitely a factor.

As I said, the only phone that matters is mine. It’s an iPhone 6 Plus. I carry it in my pocket. And it is not bent. End of story, as far as I am concerned.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Several 5 and 5S's bent...yet you seem to have no issue with that phone.

I did not see any reports on this forum or in any print review of the iP 5 and 5S bending. Maybe I missed them but I had both with no problems. I have yet to have any problems with my iP6 but again that's not saying someone else does not have problems or had problems with the iP 5, 5S or 6. In fact The only problem I have had since my first iPhone, a 3G, was with the 5S and the Touch ID when it first came out. But when Apple released IOS 7.x, I forget what rev it was, the Touch ID problem went away. And when I was having problems with the 5S and the Touch ID I started to get disenchanted with Apple.

The only problem I have with Apple and the iP6 right now is trying to find a good one for my wife but I have ranted about that in a different thread here.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I did not see any reports on this forum or in any print review of the iP 5 and 5S bending. Maybe I missed them but I had both with no problems. I have yet to have any problems with my iP6 but again that's not saying someone else does not have problems or had problems with the iP 5, 5S or 6. In fact The only problem I have had since my first iPhone, a 3G, was with the 5S and the Touch ID when it first came out. But when Apple released IOS 7.x, I forget what rev it was, the Touch ID problem went away. And when I was having problems with the 5S and the Touch ID I started to get disenchanted with Apple.

The only problem I have with Apple and the iP6 right now is trying to find a good one for my wife but I have ranted about that in a different thread here.

iPhone 5s Bending In People's Pockets | Cult of Mac
Is the iPhone 5 prone to bending? | Ubergizmo
Apple iPhone 5 users complain of soft, bendy frame
iPhone 5s Bends Just Like the iPhone 5, Early Adopters Report | TechnoBuffalo

and many more. Again, any phone can be bent if you try hard enough.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
[*]The iPhone 6 is too thin, I picked it up and I thought immediately how thin and light it was, and then I thought "Oh god, it is so thin and light!". I felt like I was going to break it. Apple could have really benefitted from making it a bit more thicker so it wouldn't feel like it would fly in the wind if the breeze was too heavy.

I honestly stopped reading here. You wanted us to not label you as a troll based on effort. I'm not suggesting you're a lazy troll. But, you're certainly a troll.

You essentially said "Apple would have seen benefit by adding excess materials that provided zero functionality so that I could trust myself not to be a child and break my new toy." That's not a worthwhile complaint. If you think it needs to be more bulky, buy a case. That's not an error in design. It's an error in the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR