[Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Design Isn't That Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That is the point! It was my opinion! Not yours. I didn't come here to stir any pot. But yet you took offense to text on the internet. But you think it is OK to talk other members here they way you currently you are right now?

Posted via the iMore App for Android
Other members? No. You? Yes.

I haven't taken offense to anything other than you playing the martyr. "How terrible everyone is to me. All I've done is lie to you from the start and spew nonsense. How can you all justify being so mean to me?" Your opinions are so intellectually weak that they are unable to offend me.

Again, stop being a terrible liar. Stop playing the victim. And perhaps, you won't be treated like you're transparently lying to everyone. THAT is the point. It's really that simple. If you can't handle being treated like a liar, stop being one. Problem solved.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
How about keeping it as thick as the iPhone 5 and using the 0.7 mm to put a larger battery and remove that protrusion on the camera? No one would have given a rat's behind if the iPhone 6 was the same thickness as the 5. If it was thicker then that would have raised eyebrows.

There are reports coming out on macrumors of screen distortions on the iPad Air 2 when picking it up from the edges and exerting pressure on the back of the iPad. No one has figured out why by the theory is that Apple went so thin with the tablet that internals are exerting pressure on the back of the screen and that is causing distortion.

This obsession with thinness is getting out of hand.

Didn't I agree a thicker frame could provide a larger battery?

There were reports that the iPhone 6 bended easily. Those have been shown to be exaggeration. So, kudos for using anecdotal evidence that really says nothing to try to disprove a point we already agreed with?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Physics disagrees with you. A device that is thinner and longer than the device that proceeded it is going to be more fragile than the device that is shorter and thinner when both devices are made from the same material.

Systemic testing by CR has shown that to be the case.

That does not imply in any way that the iPhone 6 will bend from regular use. It does imply that it is structurally weaker than the shorter and thicker iPhone 5/5s.

You've poorly applied physics. If he claimed the 6 was less fragile, or equal to, the 5/5s, you were correct. Otherwise, you're incorrect. Your point only makes sense given those conditions. But, he didn't claim the phone was as sturdy as its predecessor. He claimed it wasn't fragile. While fragile is a relative term, we can compare it against similar devices. This has been done. It's been shown to be more sturdy than some competitors and less sturdy than others. Generally, it's at no more risk of bending than any other phone. As we're using a relative term, that's the most logical way to define fragile. It's no more fragile than the expectation for a cell phone.

We could use your terrible application of science to say "because it's not half the thickness that it is, it's clearly not fragile because physics says the device at half the thickness would be more fragile." It simply doesn't make sense. That's not science. That's being a scientific hack.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
With all of that said, I wouldn't use an iPhone 6 plus without an Otterbox case.... Just sayin'

Yeah. I'm very surprised that my 5c and the 5s my guy has (Was mine) have been so resilient with thin cases. Heck the 5s went caseless for a while! My 5c actually fell from a pretty high distance off my lap onto the ground when I was done pairing a customer's phone to the car (Forgot it was on my lap, this was at my old job). It didn't show any sign of that drop. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful now though.

I suppose for me, I just like the heft. It feels so very solid and has definitely withstood my front and back pocket. I wanted to be happy with the 6 I bought. I just couldn't deal with the crashing, weird screen glitching and scratches on the back. So the way I felt about the actual looks and weight, that was the clincher.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I'm very surprised that my 5c and the 5s my guy has (Was mine) have been so resilient with thin cases. Heck the 5s went caseless for a while! My 5c actually fell from a pretty high distance off my lap onto the ground when I was done pairing a customer's phone to the car (Forgot it was on my lap, this was at my old job). It didn't show any sign of that drop. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful now though.

I suppose for me, I just like the heft. It feels so very solid and has definitely withstood my front and back pocket. I wanted to be happy with the 6 I bought. I just couldn't deal with the crashing, weird screen glitching and scratches on the back. So the way I felt about the actual looks and weight, that was the clincher.

I agree about the heft of the 5c. Felt solid like a device ought to feel. That's why I got one for my daughter. She's not exactly careful with her things.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Other members? No. You? Yes.

I haven't taken offense to anything other than you playing the martyr. "How terrible everyone is to me. All I've done is lie to you from the start and spew nonsense. How can you all justify being so mean to me?" Your opinions are so intellectually weak that they are unable to offend me.

Again, stop being a terrible liar. Stop playing the victim. And perhaps, you won't be treated like you're transparently lying to everyone. THAT is the point. It's really that simple. If you can't handle being treated like a liar, stop being one. Problem solved.

How am I being a liar? Because I don't like something, I am a liar?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You say it is your opinion in the title. Ok. You say you don't like it and that's your opinion. Ok.
But then you given reasons that are nonsensical (such as its fragile because you can't spill a drink on it) and those reasons are not followed by "in your opinion". And while those reasons apply to almost any smartphone in existence, you don't state that "in my opinion all smartphones are fragile because I can't spill drinks on them", you single out just the iPhone 6 as being fragile for this reason when it obviously applies to other phones as well.

I am not saying an iPhone 6 can't be used by me because I spill drinks, I am saying besides that, I think I would break it. And no it does not apply to other phones. I drop my phones a lot. I have had a couple of Motorola devices, an HTC and a Samsung devices they all can handle a few drops.

But if I happen to drop an iPhone 6 one time, knowing my luck, I would break it.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But you did actually say that. In the same comment that you discussed dropping it on a marble floor or falling on it, you also said you frequently spill liquids on things. And you have that as evidence of it being fragile.

And whether a phone breaks when you drop it is definitely partially luck and what angle it hits the ground. I would say that you were lucky that the Samsung, htc, or Motorola didn't break rather than that you were unlucky if an iPhone broke. Someone reported above that they dropped/threw their iPhone 6 (don't remember if it was a 6+ or not) onto a hard surface and it survived just fine.
Squaretrade has said that the iPhone 6/6+ are more durable than others in their class including the Samsung S5, Moto X and HTC One. And also more durable than last year's iPhone 5S. And Squaretrade has a definite business interest in knowing the durability of various phones since they have to decide how much to charge to insure them and pay to repair them.
So while in your opinion the 6/6+ appears more fragile (and only "appears" since you don't even own one to know from personal experience), evidence shows that they are less fragile than many other phones.

Here's the Squaretrade article I was referencing: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...Fvideos%2Fdrop-tests-videos%2F&token=jF6n74Up

I said appears because I personally handled one and it felt fragile. Maybe the build quality is what heps it be so durable. Thanks for the link.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't come here to stir any pot.

You know I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you came here for, and it looks like you were kinda successful at it, so congratulations are in order. I mean seriously why come to a iPhone 6 forum with a overly critical negative review on a product that you don't even own? Not to mention pleading you're not trolling, and didn't come stir any pots when everything you're doing says otherwise ...

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You know I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you came here for, and it looks like you were kinda successful at it, so congratulations are in order. I mean seriously why come to a iPhone 6 forum with a overly critical negative review on a product that you don't even own? Not to mention pleading you're not trolling, and didn't come stir any pots when everything you're doing says otherwise ...

All I did was post my opinion on a device I had a hands on with. You are the one who decided to be offended and think someone is trolling when it says OPINION in the title. But sure, let's pretend that I am here to try to troll, considering long as I have been here, I have all of a sudden decide to do that.

Or it could be that fact you and others think an opinion all of sudden makes you feel some type of way. And I had some helpful replies at the beginning, but now people think it hurts their dignity because I don't like the iPhone 6s design.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we could get this thread to go away. Seems like nothing good/positive can come from this. That ship sailed over 100 posts ago, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods