[Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Design Isn't That Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Before anyone denounces me as a troll, I am by no means trolling. If I am going through the effort to make a thread, it is for honest reasons. With that being said, the iPhone 6 isn't attractive at all to me. I took a visit to a Verizon store yesterday and wow, I thought the iPhone 6 was good, and boy was I mistaken. Let me explain;

• The iPhone 6 is too thin, I picked it up and I thought immediately how thin and light it was, and then I thought "Oh god, it is so thin and light!". I felt like I was going to break it. Apple could have really benefitted from making it a bit more thicker so it wouldn't feel like it would fly in the wind if the breeze was too heavy.
  • The iPhone 6 is the king of bezels, when I picked it up, it isn't remarkably tall, but it could have benefitted from being slightly shorter. That would make it that much more easier to use one handed, and on that subject:
  • The iPhone 6 is bigger than your average 4.7 inch device, I though it would be small, but god, it makes my old Moto X seem small. as I said before, those bezels are big and it is thin, so it isn't that comfortable to use like the 5C, which was more one hand friendly than most device.
  • Those plastic lines on the back of he device look awful upon close inspection, I have no fanboy allegaince to any company or manfacturer, so maybe this is why I can see this, but those lines on the back, just look bad, I can see why people are saying blue jeans are dyeing onto the lines. Not only that, they look so out of place, on a otherwise, well designed product.

All in all, I thought I could imagine myself getting an iPhone 6 but he hardware just does not do it for me, but this is an opinion piece. The views reflected in this post are my own, and only mines. I know some love the hardware, and that is fine, but for me personally, I don't like it. As always people will disagree with me, but I was just voicing some concerns I had with the iPhone 6, I hope whatever the iPhone 7 is, it takes some pages on what not to do for the hardware.

P.S. The iPhone 6 Plus, is freaking huge.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Isn't That Good

The thread title doesn't fit your personal review of the iPhone 6. You're not actually discussing the hardware itself, but more in regard to the design of it, in my opinion. If that's correct, then you should edit the title to fit or I can do it....:)...In regard to what you mentioned, hey, if that's how you feel about it, so be it. Everybody is NOT going to like the iPhone 6. I personally don't like the antenna breaks, but it won't prevent me from buying the 6 Plus soon. Anyway, good write-up...:)

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Each to their own. I love my very thin huge 6+. To me the thinness is what makes it comfortable to use a phone this big. If it was thicker it would be much harder to hold. I find the rounded edges beautiful and sexy.

I don' mind the rounded edges, the main thing for me is that the thinness is translating to frailness and less like a device you would use everyday and more like a device that you have to take care of and that is not something I should have to do for a smartphone.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

The thread title doesn't fit your personal review of the iPhone 6. You're not actually discussing the hardware itself, but more in regard to the design of it, in my opinion. If that's correct, then you should edit the title to fit or I can do it....:)...In regard to what you mentioned, hey, if that's how you feel about it, so be it. Everybody is NOT going to like the iPhone 6. I personally don't like the antenna breaks, but it won't prevent me from buying the 6 Plus soon. Anyway, good write-up...:)

Hardware entails design does it not? I am talking about the whole outside of the device, is that not hardware?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Hardware entails design does it not? I am talking about the whole outside of the device, is that not hardware?

Yeah, but when I read your title, I was thinking more in regard to quality and not aesthetics. It's all good.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
All metal phones look alike to me. I like the HTC M7 and the iPhone 6. I used both. The main issue with the HTC was the camera, the lack of quality apps that I wanted, and auto dimming would flicker and was not steady.

That is why I stuck with the iPhone 6. I too wish that Apple had kept the iPhone 6 the same thickness as the 5/5s (7.6 mm). That would have made the phone more substantial and would have allowed apple to stick a larger capacity battery in there.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Good write up, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. I agree with some of what you say. I don't care for the thinness of the iPhone 6, and the antenna bands are kind of ugly to me too, though not as much on the space gray model. I'm not getting the iPhone 6, I'm happy with my 5S. However, if I was interested in the 6, these issues wouldn't keep me from buying it.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm sure there are others that may feel the same way. I personally like the design of the iPhone 6.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to read perspectives: And why not? Of course, we all know that on taste and smell there's little to argue about, still, we can agree to accepts various opinions. There are numerous threads comparing iP6 to iP5s, so I'll ride the wave and chime in... I like the screen size (4") of the iP5s/5 better than the iP6 (4.7"), but I certainly like the thinness and camera (among many) of the iP6 much better. If Apple will create a phone just for me (it's all about me :kiss:), then the iP6 Mini will have the 4" screen of the iP5/5s along with all the goodies of the iP6... I wouldn't fuss about colors or anything.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I like the thinner feel of the iPhone 6. That being said Apple in an effort to be the "thinest" has sacrificed a bit of the durability of the phone. I don't carry my iPhone in my pockets I use a holster. I always have for all of my cell phones since after my 1st cell phone, a Motorola Bag phone. With this aid the new iPad Air 2 is only 1.4 mm thinner than the iPad Air. Who in this world is going to feel the difference?

The thinness of the iPhone 6 is nice BUT it is ONLY 0.7 mm thinner that the iPhone 5S. Again can anyone really feel the difference?

Being the "thinest" to me is just a marketing game/ploy. Just another thing to brag about. BUT now Apple has a cell phone that can bend if kept in a pocket for any length of time. Now Apple has an iPad that can be bent. I think these facts are worse for Apple and that any advantage of being the "thinest" is negated.

MikeG7265

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Not only that, they look so out of place, on a otherwise, well designed product.

I don't understand, you say you don't like the design, yet you also say this.

I also am not a fanboy of any manufacturers or OS's. I have used them all, from Blackberry to IOS to Android. Most recently I was using the HTC M8, and decided to try the 6. So far I'm really liking the experience. The device is thin and slippery, so I added a thin case and now it feels great. The M8 to me was just a little to big and heavy, but was also a really good device. As some others have said, on the Space Grey, the antennae lines really add to the look.

As others have said, to each their own. Personally I think you might be missing out on a nice experience just by not liking the design, and that is a choice only you can make for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually agree with what you have said, A895. And I would like to add to it by stating how if you are getting the white bezel ones you might risk getting slight discolorations or grime buildup on the edges.

However, I feel the hardware and software combination is actually quite impressive with performance and battery life adding up to a really fine customer experience, but still it's your call on getting it or not, because it's a consumer device. Design means just as much as anything in a purchase decision process.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I too wish that Apple had kept the iPhone 6 the same thickness as the 5/5s (7.6 mm). That would have made the phone more substantial and would have allowed apple to stick a larger capacity battery in there.

I wish they kept the same thinness too. The iPhone 5S already felt really thin, the 6 is ridiculous in my opinion.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I like the thinner feel of the iPhone 6. That being said Apple in an effort to be the "thinest" has sacrificed a bit of the durability of the phone. I don't carry my iPhone in my pockets I use a holster. I always have for all of my cell phones since after my 1st cell phone, a Motorola Bag phone. With this aid the new iPad Air 2 is only 1.4 mm thinner than the iPad Air. Who in this world is going to feel the difference?

The thinness of the iPhone 6 is nice BUT it is ONLY 0.7 mm thinner that the iPhone 5S. Again can anyone really feel the difference?

Being the "thinest" to me is just a marketing game/ploy. Just another thing to brag about. BUT now Apple has a cell phone that can bend if kept in a pocket for any length of time. Now Apple has an iPad that can be bent. I think these facts are worse for Apple and that any advantage of being the "thinest" is negated.

I have since this thinness craze took hold earlier this year, have thought thinness was a ploy, because no one can actually give really answers as to WHY it needs to be thin. Because we you make things thin you have to either make it taller and wider or sacrifice some stuff. More often than not thinness leads to smaller batteries and worse battery life. Not saying the 6 has bad battery life, but it could have been even better if it was a bit thicker.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand, you say you don't like the design, yet you also say this.

I also am not a fanboy of any manufacturers or OS's. I have used them all, from Blackberry to IOS to Android. Most recently I was using the HTC M8, and decided to try the 6. So far I'm really liking the experience. The device is thin and slippery, so I added a thin case and now it feels great. The M8 to me was just a little to big and heavy, but was also a really good device. As some others have said, on the Space Grey, the antennae lines really add to the look.

As others have said, to each their own. Personally I think you might be missing out on a nice experience just by not liking the design, and that is a choice only you can make for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the thing the design of the device is actually the outward appearance of the device itself, and I am very picky when it comes to size. There is a reason I am still using a Droid Razr M, I can't find any other device to replace it with, and the only device that I may consider is the Z3 Compact and that is not for Verizon, so here I am on the same phone.

I thought the iPhone 6 was going to be it, but after seeing it in person, I changed my mind.

And I say well designed because it has some good qualities, like the metal material and the rounded edges, but the thing that kills me the most is the height, and those god awful antenna lines.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree about the top and bottom bezels-- they could be smaller. I also agree that the lines aren't that great looking but I always use a case so I never see them. Lol! As far as the thinness goes, once I put the case on this device seems just right to me but I hope they don't go any thinner with subsequent models.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought one and I'm trying really hard to like it. I tried hard to like my 5s too and failed.

So far the only iPhone I've become attached to is the 5c. That device just rocked my world. Colourful, study, dependable.

I'm just feeling this 6 to be a bit fragile. I'm having quite a bit of frequent app crashes too.

I just don't know what to do.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I wish the iPhone 6 would have duel speakers on the front bezel instead of the one speaker at the bottom end. When I watching a movie; I sometimes cover it up temporary by accident in holding the phone.

Also, on the iPhone 6; they could of increase the thickness another 1/16" and have a longer lasting battery too!

Apple should of place the same optical stabilizer on the iPhone 6 Plus on the iPhone 6. They just force people to buy the Plus even if they do not like it for the better camera!

Not sure why they left the antenna separators exposed on the iPhone 6! Maybe they fell in love with the back of HTC One M7 and M8 huh? It looks so ugly!

Finally, they should of upgrade the RAM to 2GB even if it is not needed now; since everyone knows that it will be needed in the near future! Cost between 1GB and 2GB is only now $2.75 more! Now Apple can buy it in bulk, so their cost should be much lower then that!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the design of the 6. Antenna lines, not so much, but the rest. The thinness of the device and the way the glass curves into the body make this very easy to one-hand it while using. I do wish, however, that they would slim the top and bottom bezels a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner