So Mods and Ambassadors this behavior is OK with you guys? Members here are basically talking down to me and calling me names and someone literally said **** my opinion.

If the mods here can do anything useful, you can close this thread. It seems opinions are not allowed here.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Opinions are just fine. Even completely unsupported opinions. You just don't like the iPhone 6. Great, doesn't bother me any. You don't even have to give a reason.
    But when you do give a reason and that reason is completely illogical (it's fragile because you can't spill drinks on it like 99% of all electronic devices, for instance), you should expect to and will get called out for it.
    10-27-2014 11:33 PM
    I stated my opinion, whether people agree with it or not is up to them, I did not come here to argue over a damn phone. If someone did not like this thread they could have left. But no, people like to come here and cause arguments over petty stuff like someone opinion.

I have no obligation to say more than what I already said. I don't like the iPhone 6s design. There is my opinion again. If wanting some civility in a harmless topic is "crying" then that speaks for volumes about the level of hostility that is allowed here.

I used the term crying because of your post above asking the mods to close the thread...come on now, let's not get short term memory loss when it comes to what you said yourself.

And I've got no problem with your opinion man! I welcome it! You know where it changes over from simple opinion though? When you say something like "The iPhone 6 hardware design isn't that good". That's a blanket statement...there is no "in my opinion" there, it's just a fact for fact comment...and you're damn right someones going to come back and argue it. You don't like it? Big deal! I don't like it when people make blanket statements as if their comments are the end all be all truth.

You know how you could avoid ALL of this banter? By simply adding "In my opinion" when that is what you mean. So many people miss that, and then they get all bent out of shape when people debate their comments. I'm not going to just assume everything you type out on her should come with an asterisk of *in my opinion...not unless you say it. And if you don't, you're going to get the response you did.

Lastly, you don't even own the device...so why are you even concerned about ridiculous assessments of durability? lol! It'd be like me going to a Ferrari website and starting an "opinionated" complaint thread about how they are too fragile when driving into a wall at 100mph.

Give me a friggin' break.
    10-27-2014 11:37 PM
    I stated my opinion, whether people agree with it or not is up to them, I did not come here to argue over a damn phone. If someone did not like this thread they could have left. But no, people like to come here and cause arguments over petty stuff like someone opinion.
    Here is another point where you're being disingenuous. If you'd like us to stop talking down to you, stop insulting our intelligence. I tend to get condescending with people when they're acting as if they deserve it.

You came here for the sole purpose of arguing about a "damn phone." You knew this was a community where the majority had a viewpoint different than yours. This means you reasonably expected one of two replies: silence or dissent. If you expected silence, it's unlikely you would have posted. This leaves one possible expectation.

With that one expectation, there are two reasonable possibilities: you wanted to stir the pot and leave or you wanted to remain to discuss it. When you offer nothing of substance and expect dissenting opinions, that's going to start an "argument" every time. We can ignore the first option as you've clearly come back multiple times. If you didn't see this coming, you're daft. I don't believe that's the case. That leaves just one option: You came here specifically to argue about a "damn phone."

Stop being a pitiful liar and we'll stop treating you like a child coming here to stir things up. It's a pretty simple equation. You're welcome to your opinion, regardless of how nonsensical it is in this particular situation. You're welcome to stir things up. But it's downright sad to throw a tantrum and ask mods to bail you out when you realize you're not as witty as you imagined.
    10-28-2014 12:13 AM

I have no obligation to say more than what I already said. I don't like the iPhone 6s design. There is my opinion again. If wanting some civility in a harmless topic is "crying" then that speaks for volumes about the level of hostility that is allowed here.

So now you are telling us what we can and cannot agree with? Here's a news flash: whether or not I agree with your opinion IS UP TO ME. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers a bit, but it’s a fact.

It’s fine that you don’t like the design. No one said you had to or that you were wrong for not liking the design. You are entitled to your opinion - I even said so much earlier in this thread. But at the end of the day, it’s JUST your opinion - and no matter how you spin it, it is not fact. And the rest of the world is free to agree or disagree.

And while you are under no obligation to say more than what you’ve already said, it doesn’t appear that you really mean that, because here you are, carrying on all the more about your opinion.

And you think this is hostile? Um, you might want to buckle that seat belt just a little tighter.
    anon4757448 and A895 like this.
    10-28-2014 12:14 AM
    I think it's hilarious that people project fragility on a device simply because they visually think it represents being fragile, and not because it's actually physically fragile. Paranoia is a hell of a thing!
    Physics disagrees with you. A device that is thinner and longer than the device that proceeded it is going to be more fragile than the device that is shorter and thinner when both devices are made from the same material.

Systemic testing by CR has shown that to be the case.

That does not imply in any way that the iPhone 6 will bend from regular use. It does imply that it is structurally weaker than the shorter and thicker iPhone 5/5s.
    Last edited by nj1266; 10-28-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    10-28-2014 01:37 AM
    I haven't had issues with it overheating. With it being slimmer, there is a higher surface area to volume ratio. As a result, I'd expect the heat dissipation would have an easier time. After all, increasing the size purely for heat would increase the volume at a greater rate than it would increase the surface area. That means there's more volume to stay warm inside with less surface area to dissipate the heat to other locations.

I suppose you could put a larger battery in by doing this. How much more thicker should we make it purely to increase battery?

The device being thicker would do nothing for corner stabilization. Sure, you could use a thicker frame. But, it's already sufficiently strong. If you try to break it, it'll break. If you don't, it won't. Making it thicker so you feel more secure that you won't break it doesn't make any sense from a practical viewpoint. That's like requiring all shoes to be platform shoes because you believe they'll provide more padding when you walk.

So instead of "camera bulge," you'd prefer "phone bulge"? If that little bulge annoys you, why would the entire device being that size not annoy you?

Something boosting the signal is essentially an antenna. When it comes to antenna theory, increasing the thickness of the phone isn't going to provide much of a benefit. Antennas are fickle creatures. They aren't something that increase signal simply by being larger.

You think it's unfair because you didn't understand my point. I didn't claim there couldn't be benefit from a larger design. It's unfair for you to suggest I did. In fact, it's intellectually criminal to suggest I'm putting a large weight on aesthetics. Did you read the conversation? I claimed he was trolling because he based his opinion of the design purely on his perception of the aesthetics rather than anything functional. It's absurd to claim I'm valuing aesthetics over design.

There are very valid reasons to disagree with the design. That's going to be true with any design. Most of what you offered here was grasping at straws to try to justify your reasons for not liking it. Here's the thing. You don't like it. You don't need to justify it, to me or anyone else. But, if you're going to justify it you should do so logically. The reason the OP gave was asinine. When someone is offering an asinine opinion, the most common reason is trolling. His reason was "I perceive it to be weak so it's bad design." It wasn't even "it's weak as a result of this design decision." It was like me saying "I believe wheels being round mean the car won't stop. Therefore it's a bad design." We both know that doesn't prevent the car from stopping and my belief has no actual relevance on whether or not the cars can stop. It's not a valid point.
    How about keeping it as thick as the iPhone 5 and using the 0.7 mm to put a larger battery and remove that protrusion on the camera? No one would have given a rat's behind if the iPhone 6 was the same thickness as the 5. If it was thicker then that would have raised eyebrows.

There are reports coming out on macrumors of screen distortions on the iPad Air 2 when picking it up from the edges and exerting pressure on the back of the iPad. No one has figured out why by the theory is that Apple went so thin with the tablet that internals are exerting pressure on the back of the screen and that is causing distortion.

This obsession with thinness is getting out of hand.
    10-28-2014 01:49 AM
    Nope, I am done here. I said what I needed to say. I am not going to repeat what I already said because it is all in the OP.

10-28-2014 02:58 AM
    Here is another point where you're being disingenuous. If you'd like us to stop talking down to you, stop insulting our intelligence. I tend to get condescending with people when they're acting as if they deserve it.

You came here for the sole purpose of arguing about a "damn phone." You knew this was a community where the majority had a viewpoint different than yours. This means you reasonably expected one of two replies: silence or dissent. If you expected silence, it's unlikely you would have posted. This leaves one possible expectation.

With that one expectation, there are two reasonable possibilities: you wanted to stir the pot and leave or you wanted to remain to discuss it. When you offer nothing of substance and expect dissenting opinions, that's going to start an "argument" every time. We can ignore the first option as you've clearly come back multiple times. If you didn't see this coming, you're daft. I don't believe that's the case. That leaves just one option: You came here specifically to argue about a "damn phone."

Stop being a pitiful liar and we'll stop treating you like a child coming here to stir things up. It's a pretty simple equation. You're welcome to your opinion, regardless of how nonsensical it is in this particular situation. You're welcome to stir things up. But it's downright sad to throw a tantrum and ask mods to bail you out when you realize you're not as witty as you imagined.
    That is the point! It was my opinion! Not yours. I didn't come here to stir any pot. But yet you took offense to text on the internet. But you think it is OK to talk other members here they way you currently you are right now?

10-28-2014 02:59 AM
    I used the term crying because of your post above asking the mods to close the thread...come on now, let's not get short term memory loss when it comes to what you said yourself.

And I've got no problem with your opinion man! I welcome it! You know where it changes over from simple opinion though? When you say something like "The iPhone 6 hardware design isn't that good". That's a blanket statement...there is no "in my opinion" there, it's just a fact for fact comment...and you're damn right someones going to come back and argue it. You don't like it? Big deal! I don't like it when people make blanket statements as if their comments are the end all be all truth.

You know how you could avoid ALL of this banter? By simply adding "In my opinion" when that is what you mean. So many people miss that, and then they get all bent out of shape when people debate their comments. I'm not going to just assume everything you type out on her should come with an asterisk of *in my opinion...not unless you say it. And if you don't, you're going to get the response you did.

Lastly, you don't even own the device...so why are you even concerned about ridiculous assessments of durability? lol! It'd be like me going to a Ferrari website and starting an "opinionated" complaint thread about how they are too fragile when driving into a wall at 100mph.

Give me a friggin' break.
    I said my opinion SEVERAL TIMES! It says opinion in the TITLE! What is the issue, when I say it is my opinion several times in this thread.

10-28-2014 03:01 AM
    So now you are telling us what we can and cannot agree with? Here's a news flash: whether or not I agree with your opinion IS UP TO ME. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers a bit, but its a fact.

Its fine that you dont like the design. No one said you had to or that you were wrong for not liking the design. You are entitled to your opinion - I even said so much earlier in this thread. But at the end of the day, its JUST your opinion - and no matter how you spin it, it is not fact. And the rest of the world is free to agree or disagree.

And while you are under no obligation to say more than what youve already said, it doesnt appear that you really mean that, because here you are, carrying on all the more about your opinion.

And you think this is hostile? Um, you might want to buckle that seat belt just a little tighter.
    Yes it is hostile. I don't take kindly to condescending tones.

10-28-2014 03:02 AM
    How about keeping it as thick as the iPhone 5 and using the 0.7 mm to put a larger battery and remove that protrusion on the camera? No one would have given a rat's behind if the iPhone 6 was the same thickness as the 5. If it was thicker then that would have raised eyebrows.

There are reports coming out on macrumors of screen distortions on the iPad Air 2 when picking it up from the edges and exerting pressure on the back of the iPad. No one has figured out why by the theory is that Apple went so thin with the tablet that internals are exerting pressure on the back of the screen and that is causing distortion.

Don't speak for everyone please. I would've given a "rat's behind" if it was the same thickness as the 5/5S because it is the thinness that makes the 6+ comfortable to hold (for me) given its height and width.
    My iPad Air 2 has no such distortion a from normal use. Yes I can replicate it if I press down really hard on the back. No I don't personally think the Air 2 is too thin either.
    10-28-2014 06:59 AM
    Nope, I am done here. I said what I needed to say. I am not going to repeat what I already said because it is all in the OP.

Apparently you weren't done since you had several posts after this one.
    10-28-2014 07:00 AM
    I said my opinion SEVERAL TIMES! It says opinion in the TITLE! What is the issue, when I say it is my opinion several times in this thread.

You say it is your opinion in the title. Ok. You say you don't like it and that's your opinion. Ok.
    But then you given reasons that are nonsensical (such as its fragile because you can't spill a drink on it) and those reasons are not followed by "in your opinion". And while those reasons apply to almost any smartphone in existence, you don't state that "in my opinion all smartphones are fragile because I can't spill drinks on them", you single out just the iPhone 6 as being fragile for this reason when it obviously applies to other phones as well.
    10-28-2014 07:05 AM
    With all of that said, I wouldn't use an iPhone 6 plus without an Otterbox case.... Just sayin'
    10-28-2014 07:07 AM
    That is the point! It was my opinion! Not yours. I didn't come here to stir any pot. But yet you took offense to text on the internet. But you think it is OK to talk other members here they way you currently you are right now?

Other members? No. You? Yes.

I haven't taken offense to anything other than you playing the martyr. "How terrible everyone is to me. All I've done is lie to you from the start and spew nonsense. How can you all justify being so mean to me?" Your opinions are so intellectually weak that they are unable to offend me.

Again, stop being a terrible liar. Stop playing the victim. And perhaps, you won't be treated like you're transparently lying to everyone. THAT is the point. It's really that simple. If you can't handle being treated like a liar, stop being one. Problem solved.
    10-28-2014 08:08 AM

Didn't I agree a thicker frame could provide a larger battery?

There were reports that the iPhone 6 bended easily. Those have been shown to be exaggeration. So, kudos for using anecdotal evidence that really says nothing to try to disprove a point we already agreed with?
    10-28-2014 08:10 AM
    Physics disagrees with you. A device that is thinner and longer than the device that proceeded it is going to be more fragile than the device that is shorter and thinner when both devices are made from the same material.

Systemic testing by CR has shown that to be the case.

That does not imply in any way that the iPhone 6 will bend from regular use. It does imply that it is structurally weaker than the shorter and thicker iPhone 5/5s.
    You've poorly applied physics. If he claimed the 6 was less fragile, or equal to, the 5/5s, you were correct. Otherwise, you're incorrect. Your point only makes sense given those conditions. But, he didn't claim the phone was as sturdy as its predecessor. He claimed it wasn't fragile. While fragile is a relative term, we can compare it against similar devices. This has been done. It's been shown to be more sturdy than some competitors and less sturdy than others. Generally, it's at no more risk of bending than any other phone. As we're using a relative term, that's the most logical way to define fragile. It's no more fragile than the expectation for a cell phone.

We could use your terrible application of science to say "because it's not half the thickness that it is, it's clearly not fragile because physics says the device at half the thickness would be more fragile." It simply doesn't make sense. That's not science. That's being a scientific hack.
    10-28-2014 08:14 AM
    With all of that said, I wouldn't use an iPhone 6 plus without an Otterbox case.... Just sayin'
    Yeah. I'm very surprised that my 5c and the 5s my guy has (Was mine) have been so resilient with thin cases. Heck the 5s went caseless for a while! My 5c actually fell from a pretty high distance off my lap onto the ground when I was done pairing a customer's phone to the car (Forgot it was on my lap, this was at my old job). It didn't show any sign of that drop. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful now though.

I suppose for me, I just like the heft. It feels so very solid and has definitely withstood my front and back pocket. I wanted to be happy with the 6 I bought. I just couldn't deal with the crashing, weird screen glitching and scratches on the back. So the way I felt about the actual looks and weight, that was the clincher.
    Speedygi likes this.
    10-28-2014 08:15 AM
    Yeah. I'm very surprised that my 5c and the 5s my guy has (Was mine) have been so resilient with thin cases. Heck the 5s went caseless for a while! My 5c actually fell from a pretty high distance off my lap onto the ground when I was done pairing a customer's phone to the car (Forgot it was on my lap, this was at my old job). It didn't show any sign of that drop. Needless to say I'm a lot more careful now though.

I suppose for me, I just like the heft. It feels so very solid and has definitely withstood my front and back pocket. I wanted to be happy with the 6 I bought. I just couldn't deal with the crashing, weird screen glitching and scratches on the back. So the way I felt about the actual looks and weight, that was the clincher.
    I agree about the heft of the 5c. Felt solid like a device ought to feel. That's why I got one for my daughter. She's not exactly careful with her things.
    10-28-2014 08:20 AM
    Other members? No. You? Yes.

I haven't taken offense to anything other than you playing the martyr. "How terrible everyone is to me. All I've done is lie to you from the start and spew nonsense. How can you all justify being so mean to me?" Your opinions are so intellectually weak that they are unable to offend me.

Again, stop being a terrible liar. Stop playing the victim. And perhaps, you won't be treated like you're transparently lying to everyone. THAT is the point. It's really that simple. If you can't handle being treated like a liar, stop being one. Problem solved.
    How am I being a liar? Because I don't like something, I am a liar?

10-28-2014 09:30 AM
    You say it is your opinion in the title. Ok. You say you don't like it and that's your opinion. Ok.
    But then you given reasons that are nonsensical (such as its fragile because you can't spill a drink on it) and those reasons are not followed by "in your opinion". And while those reasons apply to almost any smartphone in existence, you don't state that "in my opinion all smartphones are fragile because I can't spill drinks on them", you single out just the iPhone 6 as being fragile for this reason when it obviously applies to other phones as well.
    I am not saying an iPhone 6 can't be used by me because I spill drinks, I am saying besides that, I think I would break it. And no it does not apply to other phones. I drop my phones a lot. I have had a couple of Motorola devices, an HTC and a Samsung devices they all can handle a few drops.

But if I happen to drop an iPhone 6 one time, knowing my luck, I would break it.

10-28-2014 09:32 AM
    I am not saying an iPhone 6 can't be used by me because I spill drinks, I am saying besides that, I think I would break it. And no it does not apply to other phones. I drop my phones a lot. I have had a couple of Motorola devices, an HTC and a Samsung devices they all can handle a few drops.

But if I happen to drop an iPhone 6 one time, knowing my luck, I would break it.

But you did actually say that. In the same comment that you discussed dropping it on a marble floor or falling on it, you also said you frequently spill liquids on things. And you have that as evidence of it being fragile.

And whether a phone breaks when you drop it is definitely partially luck and what angle it hits the ground. I would say that you were lucky that the Samsung, htc, or Motorola didn't break rather than that you were unlucky if an iPhone broke. Someone reported above that they dropped/threw their iPhone 6 (don't remember if it was a 6+ or not) onto a hard surface and it survived just fine.
    Squaretrade has said that the iPhone 6/6+ are more durable than others in their class including the Samsung S5, Moto X and HTC One. And also more durable than last year's iPhone 5S. And Squaretrade has a definite business interest in knowing the durability of various phones since they have to decide how much to charge to insure them and pay to repair them.
    So while in your opinion the 6/6+ appears more fragile (and only "appears" since you don't even own one to know from personal experience), evidence shows that they are less fragile than many other phones.

Here's the Squaretrade article I was referencing: http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=5hF8Ve-v
    10-28-2014 09:55 AM
    Grabbing popcorn.......
    10-28-2014 10:10 AM
    But you did actually say that. In the same comment that you discussed dropping it on a marble floor or falling on it, you also said you frequently spill liquids on things. And you have that as evidence of it being fragile.

And whether a phone breaks when you drop it is definitely partially luck and what angle it hits the ground. I would say that you were lucky that the Samsung, htc, or Motorola didn't break rather than that you were unlucky if an iPhone broke. Someone reported above that they dropped/threw their iPhone 6 (don't remember if it was a 6+ or not) onto a hard surface and it survived just fine.
    Squaretrade has said that the iPhone 6/6+ are more durable than others in their class including the Samsung S5, Moto X and HTC One. And also more durable than last year's iPhone 5S. And Squaretrade has a definite business interest in knowing the durability of various phones since they have to decide how much to charge to insure them and pay to repair them.
    So while in your opinion the 6/6+ appears more fragile (and only "appears" since you don't even own one to know from personal experience), evidence shows that they are less fragile than many other phones.

Here's the Squaretrade article I was referencing: http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=_TttIEs2
    I said appears because I personally handled one and it felt fragile. Maybe the build quality is what heps it be so durable. Thanks for the link.

10-28-2014 10:16 AM
    I said appears because I personally handled one and it felt fragile. Maybe the build quality is what heps it be so durable. Thanks for the link.
    You also said you were done here. About 18 posts ago. Nice.
    10-28-2014 10:46 AM
109 ... 2345