Just because they would rather replace the NFC system with their CurrentC system doesn't mean you are forced to use it. I agree. CurrentC sucks, it's evil, and it eats babies. But you're making it sound like it is your only option because ApplePay won't be accepted by those merchants. This is why it looks like an overreaction on your part.

Take the approach that HankAZ has made and stop pretending like CVS and other retailers have backed you into a corner.
    This is getting exhausting. Here is my original post... "I live next door to a cvs. But I will make the effort to use Walgreens now instead. I have something against companies who cripple existing technology at my expense to fatten their own pockets." I never said it was my only option. I already said I will "make the effort" go to Walgreens. I give on this overreaction argument. You win. I completely overreacted. I'm losing control. Help.
    calebt and jdhooghe like this.
    10-28-2014 03:32 PM
    If I said all green people are jerks based on how many annoying green people I have had to deal with, would I be wrong? Or would that just be my experience?
    Here's where you are making a fundamental mistake. It's possible for you to both have that experience and be wrong. They're not mutually exclusive.

You used very charged words. If you don't want to defend them, especially when using them so liberally, you're able to use more appropriate words. You certainly could have said "maybe it was more exaggerated than I meant" instead of thinking it was wise to insult me because I understood what words meant. My original post to you was hardly aggressive/offensive. There really wasn't a need to defend it. After you suggested I wasn't able to read because I understood you were overstating the effect, my tone became much more aggressive. If you don't want to defend your point, don't talk to someone as if they can't understand your point. I read just fine. Such a childish remark is what made me aggressively attack your points. You were more than welcome to have your opinion. You weren't welcome to use the tone you did while having such a poorly constructed opinion if you didn't want the opinion to be questioned.
    10-28-2014 09:04 PM
    I wish in Canada we could use Apple pay with our cards

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-28-2014 09:09 PM
    Why do all of these types of threads quickly deteriorate into name calling and personal attacks? I'd say that it’s probably time for people to grow up.

There isn't this much vitriol in the politics section here. SMH.
    calebt, essay2u, neurodave and 1 others like this.
    10-28-2014 09:17 PM
    I wish in Canada we could use Apple pay with our cards

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    I used it in Canada last week at a couple stores. Worked great!!

US card though. I was just visiting
    10-28-2014 11:06 PM
    I just looked at the list of CurrentC retailers and I never use them. My guess is Apple will figure out a way to grow Apple Pay.
    10-28-2014 11:29 PM
    Maybe those retailers really haven't seen the light. They very well may, at some point down the road, have their V-8 moment and say, "Oh, Pay looks more lucrative!".

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    10-29-2014 12:04 AM
    If you're planning on boycotting CVS, don't stop there... Here's a handy list of CurrentC retailers... Attachment 69840
    I believe the retailers will have a lot of pull in how this all turns out.
    10-29-2014 06:03 AM
    I have to be honest I think the CurrentC idea could be awesome for these retailers. It could sidestep the credit card companies and pass those savings along to the consumer for using it instead of credit cards. I don't think they're going about it in the right way, they should accept both, but offer incentive to use CurrentC or possibly make it work with Applepay. I use the Cumberland Farms Smart pay app on my phone which I'm guessing is going to be sort of like CurrentC for gas and it is awesome. It saves me 10 cents a gallon and is very easy to use.
    sanibel likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:42 AM
    I have to be honest I think the CurrentC idea could be awesome for these retailers. It could sidestep the credit card companies and pass those savings along to the consumer for using it instead of credit cards. I don't think they're going about it in the right way, they should accept both, but offer incentive to use CurrentC or possibly make it work with Applepay. I use the Cumberland Farms Smart pay app on my phone which I'm guessing is going to be sort of like CurrentC for gas and it is awesome. It saves me 10 cents a gallon and is very easy to use.
    They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits.
    calebt likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:45 AM
    They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits.
    Is that your opinion or a fact? Target already does this when you use their card which is linked to your checking account and so does Cumberland farms. Also in a press release I read that they were going to do that?
    sanibel likes this.
    10-29-2014 07:52 AM
    ...they should accept both, but offer incentive to use CurrentC or possibly make it work with Applepay
    Possibly best-case scenario, and very possible. The dust will settle eventually.
    E_Brown likes this.
    10-29-2014 08:15 AM
    Is that your opinion or a fact? Target already does this when you use their card which is linked to your checking account and so does Cumberland farms. Also in a press release I read that they were going to do that?
    Oh just my opinion. Of course their press release will say that. I just have no faith in most retailers and certainly will not trust them with access to my checking account. My personal opinion is that they will say that the savings get passed on to consumers (the 2-3% CC merchant fees), but in reality they will just jack up prices by that 3% and then give you the 3% back so it will not save you anything. Retailers have been doing this with sales for years (i.e., 20% off sales but oh we forgot to tell you we raised prices by 30% yesterday before the sale started). Yes, I'm cynical.
    10-29-2014 08:32 AM
    Oh just my opinion. Of course their press release will say that. I just have no faith in most retailers and certainly will not trust them with access to my checking account. My personal opinion is that they will say that the savings get passed on to consumers (the 2-3% CC merchant fees), but in reality they will just jack up prices by that 3% and then give you the 3% back so it will not save you anything. Retailers have been doing this with sales for years (i.e., 20% off sales but oh we forgot to tell you we raised prices by 30% yesterday before the sale started). Yes, I'm cynical.
    Oh, it is an opinion and not a fact....I was confused because you were very quick to discredit me and no where in there you stated it was your opinion.
    10-29-2014 08:38 AM
    Oh, it is an opinion and not a fact....I was confused because you were very quick to discredit me and no where in there you stated it was your opinion.
    Not purposefully quickthis thread was just at the top of the list when I opened Tapatalk.
    10-29-2014 08:41 AM
    I agree with Karen, based on my previous work experience in retail as well as my shopping experiences over my 61 years. Retailers do raise prices, then put them on sale for the previous price before the increase. It's deceptive. But most shoppers don't notice. All they see is "SALE".

calebt likes this.
    10-29-2014 09:28 AM
    10-29-2014 12:03 PM
    Not surprising. After being caught up in the Target and Home Depot CC issues, I have no trust in any system they may come up with. Certainly won't trust them with my checking account.
    Flow39 likes this.
    10-29-2014 12:11 PM
    I agree. The more competition the better. Let the market decide what sticks. Would be great to see retailers give their customers the choice to use apple pay, Google wallet, currentc or another similar form of payment.
    E_Brown, calebt and sanibel like this.
    10-29-2014 04:51 PM
    10-29-2014 05:10 PM
    Early adoption is always a tricky dance...it's been happening since electronics became a thing. Apple Pay will, no doubt, gain traction because you simply cannot deny that monumental amount of customers in a user base. Apple Pay has the upper hand that Blu-Ray grabbed early in that tech battle...it has the numbers on it's side, so it's really just a matter of time before companies realize how futile their fight is against it, and they accept that they will need to accommodate the feature.
    10-29-2014 05:31 PM
    I agree with Karen, based on my previous work experience in retail as well as my shopping experiences over my 61 years...
    Are you including Apple under the "retailers" umbrella?
    I agree that retailers are all about penny-pinching. I also think that credit card companies and banks (big supporters of Apple Pay), are no less greedy.
    10-29-2014 07:16 PM
    Are you including Apple under the "retailers" umbrella?
    I agree that retailers are all about penny-pinching. I also think that credit card companies and banks (big supporters of Apple Pay), are no less greedy.
    I should have said, "Many retailers...". I didn't mean to imply all retailers do that. Does Apple? Don't know.

10-29-2014 07:28 PM
    I thought the same thing as Karen -- I don't think it's trying to discredit you as much as stating an opposing opinion. Maybe if they do like gas with a cash or credit price that would suffice.
    10-29-2014 08:12 PM
    I thought the same thing as Karen -- I don't think it's trying to discredit you as much as stating an opposing opinion. Maybe if they do like gas with a cash or credit price that would suffice.
    I have no problem with someone having an opposing opinion but to clearly state that something won't happen isn't stating an opinion.

"They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits."

Nowhere in this post does it say she thinks something else will happen. It clearly states that it won't happen.
    10-29-2014 08:38 PM
120 ... 2345