One word: dumb.
    10-26-2014 01:56 AM
    I have nothing against CurrentC, and I know very little about it to really throw in much of an opinion on that service itself, but to downright cripple your NFC systems because you will be releasing a service "in 2015" seems absurd to me. At the very least, leave the current services alone and when CurrentC is ready for primetime, then you can decide if they can play together or you'd rather stick to the one you're a part of.

Another thing I keep reading is that CurrentC is beneficial for the retailers because it lowers the payments they have to make to the banks. That may be great for them, but what about us? If those savings were to trickle down to us, as the consumer, I'd say I am all in but we all know it won't. It is simply a way to add more nickels and dimes to their bottom end. It's the perfect example of corporate greed at its best.
    calebt, essay2u, nj1266 and 1 others like this.
    10-26-2014 11:31 AM
    Obviously, the CurrentC platform is a long way off, at least in technology terms. I am reading that the process, as currently designed, requires you scanning a code with your phone, and the POS terminal scanning a code on your phone. That seems cumbersome, for sure. How many issues will that create?

Other concerns with the CurrentC, as reported, since it’s not yet available in the wild, include the fact that it does not use credit cards, but rather, must be connected to a bank account. That seems a bit frightening to me, and if it turns out to be true, it will be a non-starter for me.

I have also read that one of the biggest issues with the Pay system in the eyes of some retailers is the lack of consumer information - that Pay only gives the retailer the minimum amount of information necessary to complete the transaction. That same article said that most customers would willingly give up more information with the loyalty card programs.

The bottom line is that it just doesn’t make sense to me for these retailers to be so short-sighted. They risk alienating customers in lieu of a future payment system that may not even catch on. I guess time will tell. But I’d much rather have the security of keeping as much of my data private as possible - and will shop at stores that give me that option.
    10-26-2014 11:44 AM
    I think its foolish and at some point they will add it back- I personally dont frequent either store- I prefer to give the Mom and Pop drugstores my business
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-26-2014 01:02 PM
    I don't tend to choose which store to go into based on whether or not they take NFC payments. It won't prevent me from paying for my items. There's nothing for me to gain by worrying about it. I'd invest more effort into trying to avoid non-NFC accepting establishments than I will by reaching into a different pocket for my wallet instead of my phone.
    10-26-2014 05:19 PM
    There's a ton of big retailers all joining forces in this ridiculous attempt to screw us out of choice, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, 7-11, Gap and quite a few others.

This is the description from the CurrentC app page
    It ties directly to your bank account to "securely" pay for merchandise at the supported merchants.

This is also a receipt from CVS someone posted on Twitter after using CurrentC it looks freaking ridiculous!
    neurodave and ladyc0524 like this.
    10-26-2014 07:09 PM
    I read that the Chinese banks won't accept CurrentC because it's an insecure technology and had already been hacked.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 07:43 PM
    There's a ton of big retailers all joining forces in this ridiculous attempt to screw us out of choice, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, 7-11, Gap and quite a few others.

This is the description from the CurrentC app page http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/27/sa4e8emy.jpg
    It ties directly to your bank account to "securely" pay for merchandise at the supported merchants.

This is also a receipt from CVS someone posted on Twitter after using CurrentC it looks freaking ridiculous! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/27/y6yta8ez.jpg
    The two three percent they save on paying the credit card company's they'll waste on paper.
    10-26-2014 07:51 PM
    I've never been in a Rite Aid and there isn't a CVS nearby so I'll be ok. Walgreens is a 2 minute walk.
    10-26-2014 08:00 PM
    There are two ways that CurrentC can be undermined:

1. Apple and Google will remove the app from their respective app stores. That will effectively kill it. Stick a fork in CurrentC it is done.

2. The banks will start charging merchants similar fees to use ACH that they currently charge them for the use of CC. There goes the slim profits that merchants want by side stepping CC use.

Apparently, these stupid merchants have not heard of the concept of reciprocity. In a free market and a free society two actors can equally inflict pain on each other by using similar tactics.

If I am Tim Cook, I will get the CEO of Google on the phone and agree on the removal of CurrentC from both app stores.
    Talk about sweet revenge, that would be awesome. If it were removed from both app stores, it would pretty much be dead.
    10-26-2014 08:34 PM
    Gaining some more traction, here's another article.

My bank doesn't (yet?) support apple pay so no big deal for me yet and this probably means apple won't support CurrentC so it's lose lose all the way around. Merchants who want to block Apple pay will have a bunch of folks who won't use their system and just use the card anyway. I don't see buying a non Apple phone just for this.

But who knows this stuff is all so new nobody knows how it will shake out.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/25/7...-out-apple-pay
    10-26-2014 09:21 PM
    Pretty much the same as when Starbucks announced they were accepting NFC payments. Zero *****. If you can start using postage stamps to pay, still zero *****. If they stop accepting cash I may raise an eyebrow.
    10-27-2014 06:07 AM

This is the description from the CurrentC app page http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/27/sa4e8emy.jpg

This is also a receipt from CVS someone posted on Twitter after using CurrentC it looks freaking ridiculous! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/27/y6yta8ez.jpg
    To be fair...and honest...CVS receipts always look like that regardless of what payment system you use.
    10-27-2014 06:49 AM

That receipt has nothing to do with the method of payment. Those coupons print out for their Extra Care rewards members. He/she could have paid cash for all we know. Coupons would have still printed regardless.
    10-27-2014 09:03 AM
    That receipt has nothing to do with the method of payment. Those coupons print out for their Extra Care rewards members. He/she could have paid cash for all we know. Coupons would have still printed regardless.
    Ahh I see I haven't really ever bought anything at CVS LOL.
    10-27-2014 09:09 AM
    Old news. And both stores can go pound sand, as far as I am concerned. They have hitched their wagons to nags. There are other pharmacy outlets that are supporting Pay, and I have begun voting with my wallet - my mobile wallet (which is Pay).

At any rate, I will never use a payment system that requires direct access to my bank account and places the total responsibility for any fraudulent activity on me. CurrentC will not be installed on any of my devices. Period.
    swarlos, kch50428 and LCW like this.
    10-27-2014 11:20 AM
    Old news. And both stores can go pound sand, as far as I am concerned. They have hitched their wagons to nags. There are other pharmacy outlets that are supporting Pay, and I have begun voting with my wallet - my mobile wallet (which is Pay).

At any rate, I will never use a payment system that requires direct access to my bank account and places the total responsibility for any fraudulent activity on me. CurrentC will not be installed on any of my devices. Period.
    Agreed. I'm not going to use any payment system that requires direct access to my bank account.
    10-27-2014 11:32 AM
    I see a lot of people trying to compare this to Apple removing Bose products from its stores. My opinion on that part is that Apple purchased Beats and is now producing audio products, so it is a conflict of interest. CVS and Rite Aid are a pharmaceutical (primarily) company and will be using a service for processing payments, a service they are a PART of but don't own or produce themselves. Conflict of interest does not apply to the latter. This all boils down to their bottom end, not the consumer. If it were conflict of interest, then they should remove ALL card machines and enforce a "cash only" system until CurrentC is available to use in their stores. They are solely isolating NFC payments.
    10-27-2014 11:44 AM
    I'm stuck with CVS 'cause they're my Rx plan provider. CurrentC looks like a clumsy process that is much more of a PITA to use than pulling out a traditional debit card. That will probably torpedo the whole thing right there. I don't need any additional incentive to avoid Best Buy. And if someone doesn't accept NFC payments? Then I'll use my debit card. But if you use my wife as an example (sorry honey), this is a woman who will drive 3 miles out of her way to go to the Starbuck's WITH a drive through. If it's not convenient? Forget it, you're not getting her money. That consumer attitude is a large part of what Apple got right with Apple Pay IMHO.
    10-27-2014 02:02 PM
    I feel like from a business perspective, I can see them trying to get all the profit they can. Now that being said, I could see this backfiring on them by people shopping elsewhere. I mean for me I never shop at those stores anyway, so I'm not really missing out on anything. If it hits them with people shopping elsewhere, I can see them changing their stance if apple pay really takes off in the next year. Personally I do not feel comfortable with these chains getting access right into my bank account and it being stored in some sort of cloud. It seems everyday is a new hack, too much risk for some meh implementation.
    10-27-2014 02:27 PM
    Don't shop at CVS or Rite Aid. Don't have much interest in mobile payments either. I'm just gonna enjoy the show.

If I am Tim Cook, I will get the CEO of Google on the phone and agree on the removal of CurrentC from both app stores.
    Apple and Google would be dragged into court the next day if they blocked that app on Anti-trust violations. Assuming the app is in full compliance with both store front guidelines.
    10-27-2014 04:45 PM
    Here is another good read.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2838...ampaign=buffer

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    sanibel likes this.
    10-27-2014 05:20 PM
    Apple and Google would be dragged into court the next day if they blocked that app on Anti-trust violations. Assuming the app is in full compliance with both store front guidelines.
    Not sure that’s true. No more an anti-trust violation than CVS and Rite-Aid are committing with their blocking all Pay and GoogleWallet transactions.
    10-27-2014 05:44 PM
    I think its foolish and at some point they will add it back- I personally dont frequent either store- I prefer to give the Mom and Pop drugstores my business
    Exactly what I do. Better service, friendlier people, and we're on a first name basis. I quit Rite Aid 2 years ago. We go there only if a Doc calls in a med like on Sunday. Mom and Pop be in church on Sunday.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    10-27-2014 05:51 PM
    I see a lot of people trying to compare this to Apple removing Bose products from its stores. My opinion on that part is that Apple purchased Beats and is now producing audio products, so it is a conflict of interest. CVS and Rite Aid are a pharmaceutical (primarily) company and will be using a service for processing payments, a service they are a PART of but don't own or produce themselves. Conflict of interest does not apply to the latter. This all boils down to their bottom end, not the consumer. If it were conflict of interest, then they should remove ALL card machines and enforce a "cash only" system until CurrentC is available to use in their stores. They are solely isolating NFC payments.
    I'm thinking this might be somewhat comparable to the Face(play)book migration to messenger. Force your customers to adopt your "new and improved" version of a service you were already providing gratis. I live next door to a cvs. But I will make the effort to use Walgreens now instead. I have something against companies who cripple existing technology at my expense to fatten their own pockets.
    LCW and Les74 like this.
    10-27-2014 09:40 PM
120 1234 ...