I wish GMail would truly delete when I use the delete option from ANY device or computer. Google seem to have a policy of 'keep everything', thus they like to archive...
    11-05-2014 04:40 AM
    anyone got an invite i will give away some of my ello invites
    11-05-2014 05:40 AM
    Hey guys! If you need an invitation just send an email to: inbox@google.com, you should receive a reply within the next few seconds stating that you'll be receiving an invitation as soon as possible!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    11-05-2014 06:26 AM
    The option "done" should do that? When I apply "done" I found them back in my "archived" folder (webmail), that is what also the emails went to when I "deleted" them within other mail apps.
    Hey there, blueszz. Problem is, I don't want them archived, I want them deleted. In the stock email app, there is an option in settings to archive or delete "deleted" mail. I used to keep all email because Google said "we give you so much space you don't need to delete" but after years of doing that, I finally went through and sorted everything and deleted stuff I knew I wouldn't need again. Now I'm in the habit of deleting what I know I won't need, and archiving other things for later. I don't need to keep every Amazon purchase email or shipping notice, I can get all that in my account. "You have been unsubscribed" emails don't need to be kept either. "Your statement is now available online" is another one. Lots of stuff to delete
    raphie likes this.
    11-05-2014 07:48 AM
    And simply because of this 'delete' thing is why GMail isn't my default email account. I can't stand that. I wish GMail would change that.
    Yes, I'm might be a little OCD about deleting things that I know I'll NEVER need, but at least give the user the option...

Hey there, blueszz. Problem is, I don't want them archived, I want them deleted. In the stock email app, there is an option in settings to archive or delete "deleted" mail. I used to keep all email because Google said "we give you so much space you don't need to delete" but after years of doing that, I finally went through and sorted everything and deleted stuff I knew I wouldn't need again. Now I'm in the habit of deleting what I know I won't need, and archiving other things for later. I don't need to keep every Amazon purchase email or shipping notice, I can get all that in my account. "You have been unsubscribed" emails don't need to be kept either. "Your statement is now available online" is another one. Lots of stuff to delete
    11-05-2014 07:51 AM
    And simply because of this 'delete' thing is why GMail isn't my default email account. I can't stand that. I wish GMail would change that.
    Yes, I'm might be a little OCD about deleting things that I know I'll NEVER need, but at least give the user the option...
    Not sure what you mean? I delete things all the time. if you're using the Gmail app, it will delete. If you're using the built-in mail app, there's a setting you need to enable.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    11-05-2014 07:56 AM
    Here's the setting. To get to it you go to SETTINGS->Mail/contacts->gmail

Tap on your email address at the top and you will get an account detail page. At the bottom is "advanced" so tap that.
    Inbox by Gmail! Anyone try it?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415192485.330961.jpg
    Nanci and anon(153966) like this.
    11-05-2014 08:01 AM
    Hmm, brilliant info. So I guess the only downside now is that they got rid of "exchange" option, i.e. adding your account via Exchange and thus syncing email, Calendar, Contacts, etc.
    11-05-2014 08:23 AM
    ...things must have changed! I added my GMail account to my iPhone 6 Plus, using Google, and all the sync options are there for Contacts, Calendar, etc. I could have sworn a while back GMail\Google took this away, no?

Albeit, only 'fetch' is an option now, right, no PUSH?

Anyway, I digress...
    11-05-2014 08:35 AM
    ...things must have changed! I added my GMail account to my iPhone 6 Plus, using Google, and all the sync options are there for Contacts, Calendar, etc. I could have sworn a while back GMail\Google took this away, no?

Albeit, only 'fetch' is an option now, right, no PUSH?

Anyway, I digress...
    The only difference from previously is that it is only fetch.
    11-05-2014 08:49 AM
    Here's the setting. To get to it you go to SETTINGS->Mail/contacts->gmail

Tap on your email address at the top and you will get an account detail page. At the bottom is "advanced" so tap that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415192485.330961.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	70667
    Robert, as far as I know "deleted" messages go to the "trash" folder in webmail.
    You don't have to use the "archive" folder, you can use the trash as default.
    I think there is a setting within the webmail where you can change that default behavior. If I remember well mine us set to "trash". All messages in "trash" will be deleted permanently after about 30 days.

I will check where my "done" emails go to and how long I can recover them.
    I assumed they will be deleted after about a month but not sure about it after your complaint about the app.

Edit: quick check already convinced me you are right! Thanks for bringing this up!
    11-05-2014 09:10 AM
    Robert, as far as I know "deleted" messages go to the "trash" folder in webmail.
    You don't have to use the "archive" folder, you can use the trash as default.
    I think there is a setting within the webmail where you can change that default behavior. If I remember well mine us set to "trash". All messages in "trash" will be deleted permanently after about 30 days.

I will check where my "done" emails go to and how long I can recover them.
    I assumed they will be deleted after about a month but not sure about it after your complaint about the app.

Edit: quick check already convinced me you are right! Thanks for bringing this up!
    Yeah done sends to the All Mail folder. I don't have an issue with just moving messages to the trash tho. One extra step: hit the three dots, hit trash (the first option).

sanibel likes this.
    11-05-2014 09:40 AM
    I'll archive them and when on the PC I'll empty and delete manually once in a while. Swiping to the right to mark as done is incredibly convenient ;-) that I take it for granted for the time being.
    11-05-2014 09:43 AM
    I'll archive them and when on the PC I'll empty and delete manually once in a while. Swiping to the right to mark as done is incredibly convenient ;-) that I take it for granted for the time being.
    Swiping is how Mailbox does it. Swipe to archive, swipe a bit farther to delete. Changes color depending on how far you swipe so you know what it does.
    blueszz likes this.
    11-05-2014 11:58 AM
    Badges still don't work for me and I deleted and reinstalled the app
    11-05-2014 02:04 PM
    Google will let anyone claim an Inbox invite between 6 and 7 pm ET today

Google will let anyone claim an Inbox invite between 6 and 7 pm ET today | Android Central
    mistabritt likes this.
    11-05-2014 05:01 PM

Google will let anyone claim an Inbox invite between 6 and 7 pm ET today | Android Central
    Yup. So get your invites while you can. They're promising to get the invites sent back out by 8pm Eastern.
    11-05-2014 06:01 PM

How? That link does not work.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-05-2014 06:09 PM
    You're supposed to be to email inbox@google.com and ask for an invite. Make sure you are requesting the invite from your gmail address.
    11-05-2014 07:08 PM
    You're supposed to be to email inbox@google.com and ask for an invite. Make sure you are requesting the invite from your gmail address.
    Yep. I got it in the iMore app. Tapatalk didn't work. But I got the same reply I got 2 weeks ago. :/
    Inbox by Gmail! Anyone try it?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415233350.833898.jpg

11-05-2014 07:22 PM
    Be patient young Padawan. Google to send invites this evening
    11-05-2014 08:06 PM
    Submitted my request for an invite during that "happy hour" this evening. Received my confirmation and invite. So far, I'm not really liking this app. The GMail app gets the job done far easier in my opinion. The organization of the InBox app is... Weird.

I'll give it a month or two and see if I notice any advantages over GMail.
    11-06-2014 01:10 AM
    Submitted my request for an invite during that "happy hour" this evening. Received my confirmation and invite. So far, I'm not really liking this app. The GMail app gets the job done far easier in my opinion. The organization of the InBox app is... Weird.

I'll give it a month or two and see if I notice any advantages over GMail.
    I quickly realized that it wasn't for me when I saw it uses the tabbed approach that Gmail has -- the same one I quickly disabled when it became available. My wife uses the tabs, but I hate them. I like everything in one bucket.

Mailbox seems to have the best of both worlds -- just started using it again after using the Gmail app for a while (due to its better, for me, search features)
    11-06-2014 06:46 AM
    I quickly realized that it wasn't for me when I saw it uses the tabbed approach that Gmail has -- the same one I quickly disabled when it became available. My wife uses the tabs, but I hate them. I like everything in one bucket.

Mailbox seems to have the best of both worlds -- just started using it again after using the Gmail app for a while (due to its better, for me, search features)
    Me too after all that still like iOS mail app better. Had to try it though.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-06-2014 02:31 PM
    I'm not impressed. I like CloudMagic better. I noticed the new Google Maps app has the same side panel menu as Inbox.

11-06-2014 02:51 PM
242 ... 678910