I use Google, great navigation and precision ...which is your choice?
    10-22-2014 05:15 PM
    I use Apple maps
    10-22-2014 05:21 PM
    Apple maps works great for me
    10-22-2014 05:23 PM
    I use Apple Maps. Really good and does not require the use of data.
    10-22-2014 05:24 PM
    data not used for navigation?
    10-22-2014 05:28 PM
    data not used for navigation?
    Not with Apple Maps
    10-22-2014 05:29 PM
    I prefer Apple because of their great 3D support for the United States. Google maps is better if you need streetview
    10-22-2014 05:30 PM
    I used to use Google Maps exclusively because of the stock Maps debacle but have since moved back to primarily using Apple Maps. It has been improved a lot since the release of iOS 7. I will sometimes use Waze bc it's fun ... or when I want real time traffic info. But overall, Apple Maps is the way I go now. It's nicely integrated into the other stock apps so more convenient.
    10-22-2014 05:33 PM
    10-22-2014 05:33 PM
    guess I am dense on this AB, don't you need a data connection for pin-point GPS locating?
    10-22-2014 05:35 PM
    guess I am dense on this AB, don't you need a data connection for pin-point GPS locating?
    This is my high-level understanding
    Apple Maps is using vector based maps. Somehow this means that if you get an overview map of your starting and ending points (which does use data), it contains all the data needed to get there even if you need to zoom in, take alternate routes, etc. vector based maps are also much smaller and therefore use less data to download.
    at one point, Google Maps were bitmap based which meant that every time you zoomed in to a certain point, it would have to then download a new map for those coordinates and zoom level. Google may have moved to vector based maps now, but this was the difference when Apple Maps first came out.
    So with the vector maps having all the possible data you need, the GPS didn't need any cellular data, just the vector data it already had. I don't remember which publication, but shortly after Apple Maps came out, some tech blog posted about a road trip they took where they turned off cellular data after getting the high level map, and it worked just fine to get them to their destination.
    10-22-2014 05:45 PM
    Apple maps. Better integration and uses very little data. I like being able to have it on the lock screen also.
    10-22-2014 05:49 PM
    very interesting Karen, thank you
    10-22-2014 05:56 PM
    Google Maps and this is ONLY because Google has an avoiding tolls option. That's a deal breaker for me.....sadly.
    10-22-2014 06:28 PM
    Apples Maps (IOS 8) has it also. I live at a location that has a lot of tolls I am use that feature all the time.
    10-22-2014 07:42 PM
    Apples Maps (IOS 8) has it also. I live at a location that has a lot of tolls I am use that feature all the time.
    It does??? Since when?
    10-22-2014 08:19 PM
    I've never had an issue with Apple Maps. I used to use Google Maps and may still use it from time to time, but Apple Maps is just dandy for me also!!!!
    10-22-2014 08:47 PM
    I try to use Apple Maps, but it still gets me lost at least one out of every three times I use it... and even when it does get me where I am going, it is often not the most efficient route.

One example: I was in a nearby town and wanted to stop at a market for some groceries before heading home. Apple Maps got me to the store, but as I approached, Maps said to go straight, past the shopping complex, wait at the light, make a U-turn, then head back to the complex and enter on my right. Instead, I made a left about half a block before the U-turn, and entered the same shopping complex immediately. It's not a big deal, but that sort of thing happens often. It's just those sort of little inefficiencies that irk me and really show that Apple Maps still needs a decent amount of polishing.
    Pablo Heitmeyer likes this.
    10-22-2014 10:04 PM
    I've had a few issues with Apple maps lately so I have been using google more and more. I have a second job delivering Pizza's Friday and Saturday nights and google maps seems to work better for the most part. Although it is usually wrong on how long it'll take to arrive at the destination.
    10-22-2014 10:14 PM
    It does??? Since when?
    I am not sure because this is my first iPhone
    10-22-2014 10:17 PM
    I am not sure because this is my first iPhone
    It does use data. If you don't have data, it will not work.
    10-22-2014 10:19 PM
    I try to use Apple Maps, but it still gets me lost at least one out of every three times I use it... and even when it does get me where I am going, it is often not the most efficient route.

One example: I was in a nearby town and wanted to stop at a market for some groceries before heading home. Apple Maps got me to the store, but as I approached, Maps said to go straight, past the shopping complex, wait at the light, make a U-turn, then head back to the complex and enter on my right. Instead, I made a left about half a block before the U-turn, and entered the same shopping complex immediately. It's not a big deal, but that sort of thing happens often. It's just those sort of little inefficiencies that irk me and really show that Apple Maps still needs a decent amount of polishing.
    I never had issues with Apple Maps. I tried Google Maps and it took me the long way to my house when I was playing around with it.
    10-22-2014 10:21 PM
    It does use data. If you don't have data, it will not work.
    What are you talking about?
    10-22-2014 10:26 PM
    What are you talking about?
    Both Google and Apple maps. They use data. If you don't have data on they will not work.
    10-22-2014 10:28 PM
    Both Google and Apple maps. They use data. If you don't have data on they will not work.
    I actually just did a search and it said you can. It started with IOS 6. Don't no why I checked again. I found out because the guy at the Apple store told me. I was ******** about missing Nokia Here Map. You need data for the search aspect but the maps are preloaded.
    10-22-2014 10:34 PM
85 123 ...