iPhone 6 shortages, my thoughts

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means and I know there is a huge demand for the 6 and 6+ BUT I think the shortages for the new iPhones is manufactured. I am 99% sure Apple is not behind this. During the 1st day launch I think I read that Apple sold more than 4.5 million units. When the preorders were opened in the Far East I think I heard that over 20 million units were ordered.

To me there is something wrong here. 20+ million units vs. 4.5 million units? Could someone be trying to discredit Apple? I know when the 4 and 5 came out, with their design changes, I had no problems buying them 2 - 3 weeks after the launch. I bought my 3G 2 weeks after the launch date with no problem. I preordered my iPhone 6 so I received it on launch day. Last week I decided to upgrade my wife's 5C and there is not a iPhone 6 available at Apple Stores it seems along the whole east coast.

Now I admit that I have read about a lot of iPhone 6+ buyers returning their phones for the 6 and then we have "bend gate" but it just seems that the shortages for the iPhone 6 is just not right if you compare the initial preorder/launch date sales on each of the availability dates.

Just my thoughts. I know I'm going to be chastised for this but go ahead and lay it on.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You could very well be on to something, but we can't know for sure. Like you, I've never had a problem getting a device 2 to 3 weeks after launch, but then again, Tim Cook did say that it has sold more iPhone 6/6 plus than any other iPhone by a significant margin. Waiting to get the new device can be frustrating at times, but it is what it is. Thankfully, I'm still enjoying my iPhone 5 to be upset about not being able to get a 6 Plus. Then again, I really haven't gone out store to store like I have been known to do in the past....:)

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the shortages come from a huge increase in demand for these phones. As far as there being a shortage in the whole east coast, I'd have to say that's an exaggeration. I'm in NYC and Apple stores seem to have plenty of 6's in stock. I've also seen a noticeable amount of 6's in the wild here. Haven't seen as many 6 pluses in the wild though.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thing that irritates me about apple release are the people who buy 4 from different stores just to sell them at a higher cost. Then the people who want them can't get them

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the shortages come from a huge increase in demand for these phones. As far as there being a shortage in the whole east coast, I'd have to say that's an exaggeration. I'm in NYC and Apple stores seem to have plenty of 6's in stock. I've also seen a noticeable amount of 6's in the wild here. Haven't seen as many 6 pluses in the wild though.

I base my statement on what I see using the "Available for pickup: Check Availability" option in the Apple Store after specing out the phone my wife wants. From this I see no iPhone 6, Gold, Verizon, 16 Gb, available from CT to Washington DC. OK that leaves from DC south to Miami but I would suspect it is the same in that area. And I check this several time a day. But who's to know. It may be that these new iPhones are so desirable that there is a true shortage.

I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

As for the people who buy the phones just sell on EBAY or ship overseas I think it's wrong but what can Apple do? Free enterprise and greed!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means and I know there is a huge demand for the 6 and 6+ BUT I think the shortages for the new iPhones is manufactured. I am 99% sure Apple is not behind this. During the 1st day launch I think I read that Apple sold more than 4.5 million units. When the preorders were opened in the Far East I think I heard that over 20 million units were ordered.

To me there is something wrong here. 20+ million units vs. 4.5 million units? Could someone be trying to discredit Apple? I know when the 4 and 5 came out, with their design changes, I had no problems buying them 2 - 3 weeks after the launch. I bought my 3G 2 weeks after the launch date with no problem. I preordered my iPhone 6 so I received it on launch day. Last week I decided to upgrade my wife's 5C and there is not a iPhone 6 available at Apple Stores it seems along the whole east coast.

Now I admit that I have read about a lot of iPhone 6+ buyers returning their phones for the 6 and then we have "bend gate" but it just seems that the shortages for the iPhone 6 is just not right if you compare the initial preorder/launch date sales on each of the availability dates.

Just my thoughts. I know I'm going to be chastised for this but go ahead and lay it on.

You have the exact same thoughts that I've seen shared here previously in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I base my statement on what I see using the "Available for pickup: Check Availability" option in the Apple Store after specing out the phone my wife wants. From this I see no iPhone 6, Gold, Verizon, 16 Gb, available from CT to Washington DC. OK that leaves from DC south to Miami but I would suspect it is the same in that area. And I check this several time a day. But who's to know. It may be that these new iPhones are so desirable that there is a true shortage.

As for the people who buy the phones just sell on EBAY or ship overseas I think it's wrong but what can Apple do? Free enterprise and greed!

Yeah, I guess NYC would be an exception. The Cube is here, the Grand Central Terminal store is here, plus 3 other Apple stores. So I'm pretty sure they get a lot more inventory than other places.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Just because you check online and it says not available doesn't mean it's not available in the store. Each store has 2 stocks of phones. One for online sales and one for store sales. I've seen stores say they're out of stock and you're able to buy online right away and pick up in store.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I keep seeing articles about how (insert whichever Apple device you choose) has this issue and that shortcoming, blablabla. And they always coincide with the release of the latest Android device, LOL. Well, I've tried several Androids, several Blackberries and several idevices.
And I got tired of having to watch my settings like a hawk, lest my battery life goes down the drain, I got tired of having to fend off the latest software updates which ultimately were forced on me and ruined several devices, and I got tired of having to grab another device if I needed to use apps.
Such was my life on Android and Blackberry.

I went back to Apple for all my devices, and so far, I'm lucky: I haven't had any issues with the updates, all my devices purr like kittens and work exactly as I need them to.
So, um, WHAT shortages are we talking about, exactly?

Not having to guard my settings, switch devices or switch batteries just to get through the day?
Not having to look through several devices to find emails, pics, bookmarks etc?
Having to suffer the indignity of continuity, perhaps?
The horror of having all my devices synched and connected?
The unbearable hell of Apple Care and the genius bar fixing issues without jumping through hoops and selling my firstborn?

I think those shortcomings are pretty damn sexy, LOL.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Your concerns are valid but anyone with some experience in supply chain will be able to clarify this somewhat better than what I am going to try here.

You can make only so many iPhones in an hour, with new optimized designs, continuous improvement and faster automation they can make more iPhones in the same time. I'm sure with the capital that the automation can be increased or more sites can be built to make more iPhones. The crucial piece here is the vendors and suppliers. You can only get so much from each vendors. An example is, coating on the glass. Say it has to cure for 24 hours, a vendor can only make so much to occupy the space he/she has. One would argue that Apple should be able to identify all of these and be able to provide the expertise around the same. But the question is, how far down the food chain can Apple work with. If I am a vendor, I would not want to disclose confidential sub-contractor information to the customer. What is stopping the customer to contact the sub-sub-contractor?

Apple is doing pretty good in keeping up with the demands. I think Apple always thinks to match last year launch day numbers and few but the demand is so high that it difficult for Apple to plan. There also concepts of batch, inventory and lot sizes which adds to the complicity of the modeling.

This also applies to other companies. Everyone has a risk tolerance number.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all of the comments. I hope I can get my wife's before Christmas. That way I cover our anniversary and her birthday all in one gift.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thing that irritates me about apple release are the people who buy 4 from different stores just to sell them at a higher cost. Then the people who want them can't get them

Agreed! My husband worked the launch in New York and he was saying that people would come in and buy them with cash to sell in China.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Leslie Hatcher

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

My experience? My ATT store had a lot of new 6's on release weekend. I went in for something else and the store manager told me. I waited a few weeks and decided I was going back to an IPhone and went to the same store and they had zero iPhone 6's in stock and the only option was to order one. Wrong answer! I don't want to wait weeks to get a new phone! So, I decided to take my money elsewhere, and called my local Best Buy- who had "good stock for ATT in store", according to the sales rep. So carriers can't get stock in but retail stores can? Hmmmmm, something sounds suspicious to me!!

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I just upgraded my wife's iPhone 5C to an iPhone 6. I was at the Apple Store for about 2 hours due to Verizon's system being screwed up. While I was there, and please don't label me as a racist BUT there was a group of asians that in the 2 hours I was there bought at least 100 iPhone 6s. Several of the group made at least 3 trips outside to unload their bags then came back in. I saw 1 person pullout a stack of gift cards that was at least 2" high. I will bet you a months pay that these iPhones were headed to the grey/black market. I was told by my sales associate that that happens every time they get a new shipment in.

I don't know what Apple or the Apple stores can do to prevent this but it's not right when it takes me 2 weeks to get an iPhone and when people come in when the stores receive their stock and buy 100+ iPhones.

And just let me add that I am sure that this is not just limited to asians. I am sure that every race could be "represented" in this scheme to make an easy buck.

Now I'll get off my "soap box".

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the game on seeing and responding to this thread. But, I will say this. I remember back when the 4&4s were released I said, self, "If Apple ever finally release an iPhone the size of a Samsung Galaxy S3/4 or bigger, get one..."

During the whole release of the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, I simply refused to get in line, pre-order and thus lose my mind. Weeks, and weeks later (23rd Oct), I walked into an Apple shop and was VERY lucky to buy an iPhone 6, 16GB slate grey. A week later I did the same thing, walked into an AT&T shop, and upgraded that unit to a iPhone 6 Plus 64GB (I have a thread, Go Big or Go home...).

All that to say, the demand for these newer iPhone sizes, I don't think even Apple saw coming! I bet it will be Christmas before the availability of iPhone 6/6 Plus becomes stable again...

And of course, then we'll have the Christmas rush. Cha-ching, cha-ching...

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well i preordered my iPhone 6 due to standing in line for 3 hours last year for there 5S. your correct that it will be hit or miss until after the 1st of the year. I guess that's what happens when Apple introduces something the "masses" have been waiting for for at least a year.

tnstra

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Well FWIW I ordered a iPhone 6 from Straight Talk (thru Walmart) this past Monday and it arrived today Friday (same week). Came out of Tx and shipped Tuesday. I live in the Northeast (read that Upstate NY).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2