Otterbox Defender (Iphone 6) screen protector gap?

Jax Thao

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I just got the iPhone 6 plus yesterday and I needed a case right away so I got the Otterbox along with it. Im also having the same problem with the gap between the screen & screen protector. It drives me crazy as I have to press so hard to text etc. I'm also thinking of just cutting out the plastic & replacing it with a glass protector.

Amy Kendall1

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered this case last week and asked the rep the same question. She told me that the problem was with the first run as well and had been corrected. I received my case yesterday and the gap is still there and is quite annoying to say the least. It REALLY slows keying down because you have to add a little more pressure.

When I called to report the issue, the CSR I spoke with said that they are aware of the problem and are working on tweaks to correct. I was told to check back in a few days to see if they have a new plastic case available, but they will not contact me directly to let me know a fix has been made. I was given the option to return the item but I need a tough case and the Lifeproof isn't available for my 6 Plus yet.

I'd really rather have the Defender and don't like to idea of removing the screen protector (which would void the warranty and as I break the holsters at least once for every Defender I own, I want to have a warranty) however this would resolve the gap problem immediately. I'm waiting before I do it to see if anyone will release a decent sapphire crystal protector for the 6 Plus and the only company that has is shipping a product that breaks easily, which negates spending $69.00 on a screen protector if it breaks as easily and people are reporting.

Sorry for the book!

I have the iPhone 6 with defender case and put glass in not sure if this is good option because it leaves a small gap in each side where particle, dust etc will get in

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use the Otterbox Defender with the built in screen on my old 5. But it's the older version that fits better and had the little cover over the home button. No problems with it. My Wife got the new version for her 5c via Verizon. There was a gap. So Otter sent her a new one, and it's been fine. I returned the defective case to Verizon, so she got a free case. When I get my 6s Plus in September, I'll get the Otterbox Defender and remove the built in screen and put a glass screen on if there's a gap.

M K Erickson

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Just bought an Otterbox Defender for my Iphone 6 and it has the gap. I also ordered a tempered glass protector separately and now wonder if I should return the Otterbox or try to replace the gapping screen with the tempered glass. Thoughts? thanks.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Many are removing the built in screen and using the glass screen with the Otterbox. You could call Otter and they will replace your case. But if the replacement is the same, then remove the built in.

SRS68

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Can any of you who replaced the screen with glass recommend a brand I try? I just got my case today and the gap is aggravating as heck.

Thanks all :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Remember is you remove the built in one, it will cause the iPhone to move around in the case. Even with a glass screen protector it will not hold it snug. Just FYI I already tried.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Can any of you who replaced the screen with glass recommend a brand I try? I just got my case today and the gap is aggravating as heck.

Thanks all :)

Contact Otter first. They may send you another case. Some have the gap and some don't. Call them.

Jeff0575

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know I too have used an Otterbox defender on every iPhone I have owned and this one by far for the iPhone 6 plus using a defender Otterbox case has been the most problematic case I have ever had. It has been replaced by Otterbox 2 times now and still the screen protector does not fit well on the phone. I always get a lot of dust between the screen and the screen protector. Am thinking of removing the built in protection screen and replacing with a Otterbox Glass screen. Not sure why they don't just use that one instead.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know I too have used an Otterbox defender on every iPhone I have owned and this one by far for the iPhone 6 plus using a defender Otterbox case has been the most problematic case I have ever had. It has been replaced by Otterbox 2 times now and still the screen protector does not fit well on the phone. I always get a lot of dust between the screen and the screen protector. Am thinking of removing the built in protection screen and replacing with a Otterbox Glass screen. Not sure why they don't just use that one instead.

Don't blame the case makers. They're doing the best they can. It's not just Otter. The problem is the new screen design Apple implemented with the 6 and 6 Plus. That curve at the edges really mucked it up. I don't even know what purpose it serves. Glass screen protectors don't fit either. It's ridiculous.

Tony Kay1

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
When I bought my IPhone in June of 15 I also got and installed a protector. Then I ordered the defender series and sure enough there was a gap. I called Otterbox and they sent out an not charge a new piece. Still the gap. I took out the protector in the Otterbox case. The original screen and the one I bought with the phone are doing just fine and with the case and rubber padding in the Otterbox case the phone has survived a number of drops yet the configuration I am using gives me the sensitivity to touch that i want and need.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my IPhone in June of 15 I also got and installed a protector. Then I ordered the defender series and sure enough there was a gap. I called Otterbox and they sent out an not charge a new piece. Still the gap. I took out the protector in the Otterbox case. The original screen and the one I bought with the phone are doing just fine and with the case and rubber padding in the Otterbox case the phone has survived a number of drops yet the configuration I am using gives me the sensitivity to touch that i want and need.

That's probably what I'll do in September. Apple created this problem with the screen that rounds off on the edges. Case makers can't get around it.

Nylonic

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I just got the 6 plus two weeks ago at ATT. I also got this case there. The guy who was taking care of me told me there was a gap because it was a solution to the oil slick. Ok whatever. This gap got so annoying I called Otterbox and the person assured me they fixed the issue. They sent me two replacements of just the plastic case. They arrived today, and they both still had the gap. I just got off the phone with them, and they admitted to me that they never fixed the problem and can't get around the rounded glass like someone up above mentioned. They did offer to send me, free of charge, the commuter case and told me to keep the other replacements. I'll tell you this, I'm glad they go above and beyond to resolve issues, but no way in hell am I going to stay with them when the 7 comes out, whenever that is.

Nylonic

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about the gap. I have the defender on and I don't have any issues with it.

Consider yourself lucky or you just don't care. Go ahead and call them and ask them. The higher upper I spoke to on a private call told me they have sent out more replacements of this box then they have sold and they are trying to fix the design for the 6s releases. They have now sent me every single case they make for the 6 plus for the trouble and they refunded my 60 dollars.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 6 plus two weeks ago at ATT. I also got this case there. The guy who was taking care of me told me there was a gap because it was a solution to the oil slick. Ok whatever. This gap got so annoying I called Otterbox and the person assured me they fixed the issue. They sent me two replacements of just the plastic case. They arrived today, and they both still had the gap. I just got off the phone with them, and they admitted to me that they never fixed the problem and can't get around the rounded glass like someone up above mentioned. They did offer to send me, free of charge, the commuter case and told me to keep the other replacements. I'll tell you this, I'm glad they go above and beyond to resolve issues, but no way in hell am I going to stay with them when the 7 comes out, whenever that is.

The case for the 5c had the same problem. Got one from Verizon and it had the gap. Called Otter and they sent a replacement that was good for free and to keep the other one. Returned it to Verizon for credit, then realized we got a free Otterbox Defender! Otter has excellent customer service.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't get Otterbox anymore. They just don't seem to fit these phones properly. I've had ones that were curved, slightly warped, the built in protector too far from screen and had one that the built in protector was oddly discolored.

I really have had better luck with tempered glass (On front and back) and a good thick rubber case.

That or Lifeproof. You can't take it off often though as it messes up the seals.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW