apple care vs. cell phone provider insurance

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Applecare+ or Squaretrade. Carrier insurance typically costs 7-13$ per month and there is a 150-200$ deductible (very expensive). The only advantage is that it protects against lost or stolen phones whereas Applecare+ and Squaretrade do not. However they (Applecare+ and Squaretrade) usually cost 75-99$ for 2 yrs with a 75$ deductible (again doesn't cover lost or stolen). They are much more affordable and excellent companies. I have had Squaretrade since buying my first iPhone however long ago... Also, I believe Squaretrade allows for 3 replacements and 3 repairs, which is very good. I would search the forums and the internet to compare as there is a lot of good information out there. Good luck.

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what your carrier is offering Will. I believe you have TMobile and if so:
TMobile:
JUMP Program is $10 per month allowing 2 claims per 12 months at $175 deductible per claim. So for 12 months coverage you are paying $120, $240 for full 2 years on the device in addition deductibles.
Premium Handset is $8 per month allowing 2 claims per 12 months at $175 deductible per claim. So for 12 months coverage you are paying $96, $192 for full 2 years on the device in addition to deductibles.
In each case, loss and theft are also covered.

Apple:
$99 for AppleCare+ allowing the addition of 2 accidental damage claims at $79 deductible per claim. Coverage is transferable within the two years.

TMobile Pros:
- 2 claims per 12 months vs per 24 months
- covers loss and theft

Applecare Pros:
- Only $99 for 2 years coverage
- Only $79 deductible
- Transferable within 2 years
- Customer service at Apple Store is second to none

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I use both. I purchase Apple Care to deal with any repairs or replacements, and I also have carrier insurance incase my phone is ever lost or stolen.

speedfan1

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You also might want to check any benefits your credit card offers. Mine through Fifth Third offers me up to $200 in reimbursement on my cell phone if I have to file a claim.

Fifth Third said:
With Cell Phone Protection* from Fifth Third, you're protected against damage to, or theft of, your cell phone, as well as up to two additional phones listed on your wireless billing statement.

You'll be protected with up to $200 in reimbursement for eligible phones purchased for personal use on traditionally billed plans. All you have to do is use your Fifth Third consumer credit card to make your monthly payments and your coverage is automatic.

Make the right call, and take advantage of Cell Phone Protection* from Fifth Third Bank.

For complete details of your benefits, please see the Cell Phone Protection Terms and Conditions.

*Cellular Telephone Protection is subject to a fifty dollar ($50.00) deductible per claim and a maximum of two (2) claims per twelve (12) month period. The maximum benefit limit is $200 per claim and $400 per twelve (12) month period. To be eligible for Cellular Telephone Protection, you must charge your monthly Cellular Wireless Telephone bills to your Fifth Third consumer credit card. Your Cellular Telephone Protection begins the first day of the calendar month following the payment of the Cellular Wireless Telephone bill using your Fifth Third consumer credit card. Additional terms and conditions apply. Refer to your Cell Phone Protection Terms and Conditions for further details.

my53card.com/cellphone/

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Another option to consider is home owner's insurance. My homeowner's insurance offers coverage for very little per year and the deductible is only $50. I don't use this option anymore because I don't like making claims against it, however, for those who do not care about that, it is something to look in to.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually have both AppleCare+ AND ATT's insurance. I've ended up needing both. I've had a phone stolen, AND I've had issues with phones that AppleCare+ replaced.

geekymcfly

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
quick question. I have apple care+ and paying for the jump on tmo. But is applecare+ transferable to the new device if it is lost or stolen and replaced by the carrier?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've always chosen insurance as I'm not the type to break my devices. My issue would be that they would end up lost or stolen. At my work (Esurance-Allstate company) we provide cell phone insurance that includes loss and theft. That's important to me. So I just skip over Applecare honestly.

ShowGun901

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
ive never made a claim with applecare, but ive heard their customer service is stellar. I have, however, made a claim with AT&T's insurance provider, and it was pretty horrible... first of all, its a third party company, in case you didn't know, so they had worse... manners?... than the AT&T reps usually do. Also, since mine was a teir 1 phone (HTC One X at the time), I had to pay $200 for the replacement. The device they sent me also the same issues (overheating for no reason, and sim card errors requiring a reboot), and i asked them for a pretty much ANY iphone, which they said was "out of the question." so, after 45 minutes of arguing with a manager, i finally got a Galaxy S4 out of the deal... for another $200 and re-signing a 2 year contract, because that was a newer phone from a different manufacturer. Overall, it was a horrible experience (that took over 2 months total), that i wouldn't recommend to anyone!

Just something to think about, i know its kind of he-said she-said, but customer service is pretty important to me! LOL!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I've always chosen insurance as I'm not the type to break my devices. My issue would be that they would end up lost or stolen. At my work (Esurance-Allstate company) we provide cell phone insurance that includes loss and theft. That's important to me. So I just skip over Applecare honestly.
It covers mechanical craziness too. So if after the first year you still have it and it goes off the deep end, they'll replace it. If not you're on your own.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I like applecare because you don't have to send the phone in for repair and be without the phone for an undetermined amount of time. Carriers also offer loss protection for less than the total insurance.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It covers mechanical craziness too. So if after the first year you still have it and it goes off the deep end, they'll replace it. If not you're on your own.

Wouldn't insurance cover that too? Though, I rarely keep my devices long enough. LOL

Edit: I keep insurance anyways because it comes with my JUMP! program on T-Mobile.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have insurance on my plan that's 8.00 a month and covers Apple care. After a year I get a free new phone. Works great

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro