😁? Help Understanding 60fps use*

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I hope I'm not the only one here that doesn't understand the use of 60fps on the iPhone 6 but...what is it for? When would I use it? For what? Difference in image?
I've searched and I have not only not found anybody ask this question in the forums, but nowhere in Google do I read a clear explanation of what it is or someone asking about it. Anybody would like to chime in, for hopefully other people that don't understand the difference and usability of it? Thanks!!!

Shan S.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Basically it means 60 frames per second. If you do not turn it on the default is 30 frames per second.

The advantage is sharper videos as it is taking twice the number of images per second.

Take a video of the same thing with both formats and you will see the difference.

The main disadvantage is that file size will larger.. And the video may look a bit to clear or sharp...

For example movies that you see in theaters are shot normally at 24 fps.. So you still see a bit of blur and stutter in the background.

Watch a blue ray movie at both 24 fps and at 60 fps you will see how it is extremely sharp at 60 fps and more movie like at 24/30fps.

HD TV shows are shot at 60 fps. That is why they seem so clear.

Basically use either one just remember that 60 fps will be like you are watching real life events almost through a window and that the file size will be larger.

Hope this helps...

Shan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cs1219

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
60 fps for taking video of fast moving objects. Otherwise, stay with 30 fps to save your valuable iPhone memory. You won't find a difference in image quality. - a guy with10 years of experience in photography

Shan S.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Ericizzy1. Go to the Settings app. Then scroll down until you see 'Photos & Camera'. Select that item and you will see a option for 60 fps near the bottom of the list.

9ae18c1c6ff1efe2fc7f2e310a633de1.jpg

Shan

Shan S.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
60 fps for taking video of fast moving objects. Otherwise, stay with 30 fps to save your valuable iPhone memory. You won't find a difference in image quality. - a guy with10 years of experience in photography

Yes better for faster moving objects..

However... There is a difference in sharpness as there are more frames per second so in turn faster video shutter speed.

Download the app 'Still Shot' that let's you capture individual frames from the video and then zoom in on the still from the 30 fps and do the same from the item from the 60 fps.

As we both know higher shutter speed means faster grab of the scene which means less blur... In the video, that frame blur becomes the slight smoothness and stuttering we see in the 24/30 fps videos.

Like you in the photography world for a long long time...

Not trying to argue :). Just trying to make sure the OP understands the differences...

Shan

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Both understood...I see 60fps makes the video a little more like, well, like a video camera. I wish there was an option within the iPhone camera of 24fps for movie like shooting. With the slight vignette that some movies carry. I'm surprised the new iMovie app didn't come with one as I believe that actual Mac iMovie has it.

Last edited:

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Man, I really wish they put the 30/60 fps toggle in the camera itself. It would be way more convenient, like it is for the 120/240 fps. :)

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Shan S.

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
...I wish there was an option within the iPhone camera of 24fps for movie like shooting...

If you want to shoot in 24fps...
Go to the app store and download the 'FiLMiC Pro'App.

It can shoot in 24fps and other formats, etc. It is a really good video camera app!

Shan

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Use 60 fps if you want to do slow motion effects in post-processing. Otherwise, stick with 30 fps as noted above.

This...

If you do a lot of post processing on your videos then you will have more options if you shoot at 60fps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative