I just did a complete restore on my iPhone 6. I have an unlock passcode that I use and it works. I was going through the various Settings under General and saw the "Restrictions On" I opened it and put in my unlock code and it said "1 failed attempt." Thought maybe I mis-entered it so I reentered it and it said "2 failed attempts." So what is the "Restrictions On" setting about anyway? And what happens if I keep failing?
    10-11-2014 04:28 PM
    It's a parental restrictions code.
    10-11-2014 04:43 PM
    Thanks for the parental control info, but I've never set any restrictions on this iPhone 6 or my old 4s (which I apps I had installed on this phone via iTunes). So I'm just wondering why it's "On," why it doesn't respond to my unlock code, and what happens if I keep making "failed attempts?"
    10-11-2014 05:19 PM
    The parental restrictions passcode is not related to your device passcode. I don't know what happens to repeatedly answering it incorrectly.
    anderld47 likes this.
    10-11-2014 05:25 PM
    When you say you opened it do you mean you are being promoted for a passcode as soon as you tap the menu item or when you tap you turn restrictions off?

I don't get promoted to enter a code to just go into the option. It's only if you can to turn on or off. If it's not your unlock passcode it will most certainly be another 4 digit code you have previously entered without remembering. It's a bit like the keychain passcode which isn't related to the unlock passcode.

If you can't remember it then what I would do is take screen shots of all your home screens and save them to your laptop then wipe the phone and set it up as s new iphone but login with your iCloud ID to bring over your contacts and keychain, favourites and keyboard shortcuts etc then once done just plug it into iTunes and sync all your apps then using the images you took you can arrange the apps into the same layout and folder names so nothing's changed. You will of course need to add your mail and any other settings but it's really not that bad. I've don't it whilst watching TV, takes about an hour but not only will you get around all the forgotten codes but you also benefit from a clean install that might fix any other issues you do or don't know about.
    10-11-2014 06:07 PM
    Yeah, knew that was an option but was trying to get around it.

When I open Settings, General, the Restrictions are On. Never had kids or any reason to set Restrictions to On. I only use two different four digit pass codes for everything I have that requires a four digit passcode and neither of them work. I've also had some other issues with this phone and today my carrier said they would replace it. The thing is I will have to go through the routine you suggested in order to not have the Restrictions On after the new phone arrives.

Thanks Darren.
    10-11-2014 07:18 PM
    Yeah, knew that was an option but was trying to get around it.

When I open Settings, General, the Restrictions are On. Never had kids or any reason to set Restrictions to On. I only use two different four digit pass codes for everything I have that requires a four digit passcode and neither of them work. I've also had some other issues with this phone and today my carrier said they would replace it. The thing is I will have to go through the routine you suggested in order to not have the Restrictions On after the new phone arrives.

Thanks Darren.
    Yeah exactly as a restore from an iCloud backup will just restore your passcode!

What about resetting settings and not the settings and content? I'm sure settings will clear down your restrictions passcode actually. You only need to know you Apple ID password to reset settings so this would work. Nothing to lose really. Give it a go
    10-11-2014 07:39 PM
    Well, I gave that a try and the first screen to come up was "Enter your Restrictions Passcode." Gotta laugh.

I've had other issues with this phone and yesterday it cleared my extensive "Shortcuts" entries. This along with mysterious wake ups, renaming my phone, screen freezes, and the Hotspot ceasing to function (despite showing a download speed of 20+Mbps) had me talking with my carrier. They think it's the phone and not the software and they're sending me a new phone.
    10-14-2014 03:12 PM
    When you get your new phone, if you restore it and there was a restrictions code set the restore will bring that back.

If you want to set it up as new either do that when the new phone arrives, or you will need to put the phone in DFU mode to restore it if the backup brings the restriction code back. When you try to wipe the phone it will ask you for your lock code and then the restrictions code, so a DFU will let you restore it back as new.

To enter DFU, plug the phone into a computer running iTunes, the press the sleep/awake button and home button together for 10 seconds, then release the sleep/awake button but keep holding the home button. After a few seconds the PC will install drivers and iTunes will tell you the device is in recovery mode. On a Mac it will just tell you the device is in recovery mode. Follow the prompts to restore the device then set it up as new.
    10-14-2014 03:25 PM
    Thanks Bamf-hacker. Could you clarify a couple things? What is DFU? Will I be able to restore my contacts, calendars, and apps from my Mac after setting it up as new? At present I keep the content of my iPhone on my Mac (via iTunes), not the cloud.
    10-15-2014 01:45 PM
    Thanks Bamf-hacker. Could you clarify a couple things? What is DFU? Will I be able to restore my contacts, calendars, and apps from my Mac after setting it up as new? At present I keep the content of my iPhone on my Mac (via iTunes), not the cloud.
    DFU is Device Firmware Update mode. It’s basically a way of installing a fresh copy of iOS on your device. It’s useful when restoring from jailbreak, but there are other times when it can be used. If you have a backup of your device's content, then yes, you can get it back. After putting the device into DFU and restoring it with a fresh copy of iOS, you will be able to restore the content from your backup.
    anderld47 likes this.
    10-15-2014 02:11 PM
    DFU is Device Firmware Update mode. It’s basically a way of installing a fresh copy of iOS on your device. It’s useful when restoring from jailbreak, but there are other times when it can be used. If you have a backup of your device's content, then yes, you can get it back. After putting the device into DFU and restoring it with a fresh copy of iOS, you will be able to restore the content from your backup.
    As long as your backed up Data lives on your Mac. If it is in the iOS backup then no. If you restore the iOS backup it will put the restriction code back in place.
    anderld47 likes this.
    10-15-2014 02:25 PM
    So I should go into DFU mode, follow prompts to restore device, set up as new, then restore my contacts, calendars, and apps from my Mac? And when you say "if it is in the iOS backup then no" do you mean if it in in the cloud? Sorry for the questions, but I'd like to do this right when I get my replacement. And do I get the fresh copy of iOS via Wifi from Apple over Safari in Software Update?
    10-15-2014 05:54 PM
    So I should go into DFU mode, follow prompts to restore device, set up as new, then restore my contacts, calendars, and apps from my Mac? And when you say "if it is in the iOS backup then no" do you mean if it in in the cloud? Sorry for the questions, but I'd like to do this right when I get my replacement. And do I get the fresh copy of iOS via Wifi from Apple over Safari in Software Update?
    If you used iCloud or iTunes to backup your device then that backup will have the restrictions password in place.

Restore the phone in iTunes using DFU mode and when it comes back up it will ask if you want to set it up as a new device or restore from backup. Set it up as a new device and then go through the syncing process to get your contacts from your Mac back on the phone.
    anderld47 likes this.
    10-16-2014 06:14 PM
    Just got my new iphone 6 today and restrictions is on and I never ever set it. I also can't get in, don't know if it's a bug or what.
    10-16-2014 11:04 PM
    Just got my new iphone 6 today and restrictions is on and I never ever set it. I also can't get in, don't know if it's a bug or what.
    It's not a bug...it's a setting that you have from your backup (since I'm about 99.9999% certain you're restoring from a backup). My device, when I access "restrictions" is set at the default which is asking me to "Enable Restrictions". The phone does not come preset with restrictions set, so this pretty much isolates this problem you're having with the backup you're attempting to restore the phone with.

You may have to start over fresh unfortunately...whether you set the restriction and forgot or it was done by someone else or even accidentally...none of that really matters because it IS activated in your backup. You're not going to be able to restore your device.
    10-17-2014 01:34 AM
    That's what happened to me. New iPhone 6 on 30 Sept, activated and installed iOS 8.0.2 and synced the stuff from my 4s. I never set restrictions on my 4s or this 6 (I'm almost 70 and we've never had kids).

Noticed later while going through the phone that Restrictions were On. Tried the only two 4 number codes I use for things requiring a 4 number code and neither worked. Tried 0000 and 1234 and they didn't work either. As far as I can tell I can go to any website and purchase anything in iTunes, but under Settings, General, Restrictions, it says On.

I thought it was a hardware issue because I have had many other things not working correctly, but maybe it is the OS.
    10-17-2014 01:40 AM
    That's really strange, but the common denominator seems to be restoring. Some think it's a hassle, but when I get a new device I like to just set it up fresh without restoring anything. Of course, I also erase my hard drives every so often and set up the machines from scratch. I just hate feeling like there are old files and settings on my devices that take up valuable storage space
    Lakela Randle likes this.
    10-17-2014 09:28 AM
    I just did a complete restore on my iPhone 6. I have an unlock passcode that I use and it works. I was going through the various Settings under General and saw the "Restrictions On" I opened it and put in my unlock code and it said "1 failed attempt." Thought maybe I mis-entered it so I reentered it and it said "2 failed attempts." So what is the "Restrictions On" setting about anyway? And what happens if I keep failing?
    06-07-2016 01:13 PM
    I tried many combinations even though I only use two different 4 letter code for things. After several attempts it started make me wait longer between attempts, but that seemed to be the only penalty. I finally went to the Apple Store Genius Bar and they uploaded my contacts and calendar to my cloud account and wiped it clean. After setting up my phone as new I imported my contacts from my cloud account and I was back to no restrictions. I lost my messages, settings, text replacements, bookmarks, and a few other things, but that just took some time to get things back to where I wanted. The restrictions never kept me from doing anything or visiting sites, but it was always a minor irritant.
    06-08-2016 01:36 AM