Should I move over to T-Mobile from AT&T?

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile questions

I plan to switch to T-Mobile (from AT&T) and get iPhone 6 (4.7") sometime this month (when I can get a gray 64GB).

My main question at this point is, when T-Mobile upgrades 2G/EDGE cell towers to LTE, do they also add HSPA+? If that is the case, then, where LTE ch 12 is implemented, I will get HSPA+, but, not 2G/EDGE, that would be acceptable, but if it's either LTE or 2G/EDGE, that won't work for me (if it's ch 12, iPhone 6 doesn't have it). (Apologies if already answered, I haven't been able to find this information). (see: www.imore.com/iphone-6s-lte-support-isnt-quite-good-enough-t-mobile)

My main concern for this is if Maps will work while traveling. With AT&T, when there is a signal in rural areas, it is usually at least 3G, which works fine w/Maps. (I also stream music, but, not a big deal to listen to podcasts or iPod.)

? Also, does anyone have Jump? Is it worth it?

perrochingon

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile questions

I don't have much info on your first question but regarding Jump, the current program is not nearly as good as the old one. With the previous jump plan, you were able to upgrade every six months. With the new jump plan, you now have to pay off at least half the cost of the phone before you can jump. I was grandfathered in to the old program so I plan on keeping it but I personally wouldn't sign up if I had to go with the new program

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile questions

Depending on the area it could be either LTE or edge with spurts of HSPA+. Maps work fine on edge for me when traveling. I'm not to sure about channel 12 LTE though. I have noticed in my area where there used to be edge its been converted to LTE and it's consistent around town.

seangprice

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I can't help much with the first question but in regards to jump I can help. The old Jump was better but the new version is more in line with the rest of the carriers. Either way for the price, you can in theory turn in the phone after 12 months/half paid off and it includes insurance on the handset. I still have the old Jump just for the insurance purposes.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

LTE band 12 is not currently supported on the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. The hardware is not in the phone to support it, but I assume next years iPhone will support it.

Why don't you do a test drive device and see how it goes before you take the plunge?

Also, old JUMP was better. New JUMP requires 1/2 price of the phone be paid prior to upgrading. However, if your credit requires a down payment on the phones, you will more than likely have paid 1/2 the price of the phone anyway, which means you will be eligible at any time.

JUMP also includes insurance, which insurance by itself is only $2 less. I'd say it's worth the cost.

Good luck on your purchase!

-T-Mobile Employee

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

LTE band 12 is not currently supported on the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. The hardware is not in the phone to support it, but I assume next years iPhone will support it.

Why don't you do a test drive device and see how it goes before you take the plunge?

First off, wanting a 64GB iPhone 6, they are scarce now, instead of ordering it, I'm trying to find out if I should just wait, but, if one comes in to closest T-mobile store, I will probably just get it.

Yes, I know the iPhone 6 does not support LTE band 12, that's why my question.

My question is more about T-Mobile's future upgrades, not current reception. I don't know if, when they upgrade their cell towers from 2G/EDGE to LTE if they also add HSPA+, if so, then not having LTE band 12 isn't as big of a deal, I'll get HSPA+ instead...I just don't want to get 2G/EDGE after they upgrade, just because my phone doesn't get the LTE band they've upgraded to, make sense?

______
As far as JUMP goes, it sounds like I'm paying an extra $120, plus half the phone, so, in essence, I'm paying extra for the possibility to upgrade in 1 year, but, I will likely just pay the entire phone off before then, this just wasn't an option with AT&T. (If I could, I would buy the phone outright now, might be able to get it faster that way too, from Apple.). Only reason to go with JUMP, would be to only pay half the phone off over the next year and upgrade to next year's iPhone 6s, which will likely have LTE band 12, but, is this worth $120 extra? :straight-face:

JUMP seems to cost more as far as the insurance side of it, AppleCare+ is only $79 for fix of accidental damage, where JUMP is $175 (or something like that). Also, AppleCare+ is only $99 for 2 years. So, JUMP not practical for insurance purposes.

I've gone without insurance on my cell phone since my first iPhone, so, not sure I need it, but, with the iPhone 6 being a major design change, I've thought about it. My current MacBook Pro has been rock solid for 4+ years now, but, I have had problems with previous Macs, one was out of warranty, one had AppleCare, and AppleCare came in very handy, was worth it.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

Don't do jump. Buy your phone outright, and if you want to upgrade, sell it outright, then go buy the new one. Just pop the Sim out after showing the buyer it works,go to tmob, buy new phone.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

i live in a dorm where i have 2g or edge, (depending on where i am within the dorm) and LTE outside and it is great. my family lives in an area where it is edge everywhere except where all of the businesses are, of course. Still dont have any problems. they work with you even when you are as ocd about your phones as i am.

you will love the switch, trust me.

i have jump and it is. while it isnt much different than how you purchase devices from them anymore it adds insurance, theft protection, and tons more with the ability to upgrade early. it is truly awesome.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Don't do jump. Buy your phone outright, and if you want to upgrade, sell it outright, then go buy the new one. Just pop the Sim out after showing the buyer it works,go to tmob, buy new phone.

Posted via the Android iMore App!
what about insurance and theft protection... at least you would have that even if you do that. plus some people may bot have the money to buy the phone outright and the phone may not sell for 100% or more of what it is worth then you lose money.

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

I would say keep the $8.00 ins. This way you are protected ...

Just got my iphone 6 on Verizon coming from TMO. Also an Android Loyal till now. Very impressed so far.

Good luck.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I'd say if the service works for you everywhere you need it to, it's the best decision you'll make. The unlimited data and no overage worries alone are plus enough. That's just my opinion. With unlimited going the way it is, you've got limited choices. T-Mobile is the best one I think.

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I tried and with all my phones it wasn't what it said it would be. Att for me was cheaper somehow and I had ETF but that wasn't even included when i did it online

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I would switch but T-Mobile Servis is no good in my area.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

KingaSpades

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should I move over to T-Mobile from AT&T?

Don't do it! In my experience my AT&T iphone always had fast data service while almost everyone that I know on T-Mobile complains about being on 2G service as soon as they leave the city limits. I travel a lot so I can't afford to only have good service when I'm in the middle of a metropolitan area.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

If T-Mobile has good coverage where you are, go for it! I use them and I have no complaints. :)

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

Don't do it! In my experience my AT&T iphone always had fast data service while almost everyone that I know on T-Mobile complains about being on 2G service as soon as they leave the city limits. I travel a lot so I can't afford to only have good service when I'm in the middle of a metropolitan area.
Well, I'm looking forward, maybe 2G now, but: "On March 13, 2014, T-Mobile announced a new plan to upgrade its entire 2G/EDGE network to 4G LTE. They expect 50% to be done by the end of 2014, and it to be "substantially complete" by the middle of 2015." (from wikipedia on T-Mobile US) ...with this idea in mind, I'm willing to go for it. Besides, AT&T wasn't fast where I live now until recently, I'm sure T-Mo will catch up (& surpass) soon enough.

UPDATE: I took the plunge! The local T-Mobile is a corporate store and they gave me an iPhone 6 16GB (last week), while waiting for a 64GB to come in...so it better come in before 14 days is up, store mgr is overriding restock fee.

Maps, if patient, work fine on 2G, (the GPS works regardless of cell reception, so the blue dot will move along what's in memory, even if it can't get or is slow with new map data), and Pandora internet radio may need time to buffer, but works also. (If you have gone into settings>advanced> and turned on high quality audio, you'll just have to turn it off). These even work when it is supposedly "GPRS", which is surprising. But, that's about all GPRS/2G (EDGE) are good for. I can make/rec'v phone calls and text anyway, that's the main thing.

I was surprised at seeing "GPRS" and a dead zone near where I currently live, but, I travel, and will be moving to a city soon, and, looking forward to T-Mobile's upgrade (mentioned in 1st paragraph), it will only get better. I just hope that, when they do upgrades to LTE band 12, they also include (4G) HSPA+ for the many who do not have handsets compatible with LTE band 12. (WiFi calling helps at home also, plus I have a better router (T-Mo's), which I did have to put $25 down on.)

I'm not getting Jump. I may get AppleCare, but, haven't needed it for previous iPhones.

Thanks for the replies!

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I am in the same boat wanting to switch to T-Mobile, and live in DC Rockville/Bethesda, MD and have been trying to ask about LTE and 3G/HSPA+ reception and quality here. I have asked unsuccessfully in both "Ask a Question" and "Carrier" Threads.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, now I know to maybe think about Sprint if someone can answer me about the iPhone 6/6+ in any threads I have created to try and get an answer.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

It's all bout location but if their rollout goes as planned their should be LTE in most areas soon by mid 2015. They recently upgraded some edge only sites by my house and I now get 4 or 5 bars of LTE. I root for the little guys and coming from sprint I'm loving T-mobile.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods