How is using an iPhone if all your info is with Google?

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of joining the iOS team and I wanted to see how is using an iPhone if all your info is with google in terms of email, contacts, maps and all the other stuff. some people said with all the support Google gives iphone you can almost have a android phone on the iPhone. Plus how is Siri vs google now? I just wanted to see what other iPhone users with google thought of this and can you get all the main google apps on iOS.

Thanks.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

geekymcfly

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

just like the poster of above me stated all the google apps are available for iOS but right now they all look pixelated. There doesn't feel like there is a huge learning curve to iOS either. I miss swiping everything and app drawers but everything else is seamless. As far as Siri and Google Now goes I prefer Siri. Personally I never liked Google Now.

dirtbiker0025

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
re:

coming from android for nearly 5 years to my first iPhone i feel the comparison is apples and oranges haha. If you want gimmicks and hand gestures and all that cool stuff that you use one or two times get an android. i feel like the iPhone is more smoother if that makes sense. everything works and flows together. with that being said the transition was seamless. i just added my google account and all my contacts appointments and everything else was uploaded to my phone so that was easy. All of the apps are there. I find myself using siri more than google now but they are both an option. i give google now the edge by 9/10 to 8.5/10 just because of the cards. I am happy with my iPhone and i do not regret making the switch but both systems are great and both have their own + and -.

MilliwaysPub

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
re:

I just joined the iOS crowed after a few years with Android and a brief stop with Windows Phone. iOS is amazing. Most of my information (calendars, contacts, ect) is through gmail and its been a very good experience getting everything synced up. No issues so far.

Take the drive. You will love it.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
re:

One of the main reasons I prefer iPhone is because I can have the best of both google and Apple in one device. Can't do that with android. Having said that, Google apps are not as deeply integrated as android but functionality is mostly consistent across platforms.

TekNinja81

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Coming from an iPhone 4 a few years back, to 3 Android phones since, and now the iPhone 6: At first I was worried I'd have major issues, but generally, I can do almost everything I loved with my Android devices, and that includes most of the Google services.

Contacts, calendar entries, email, Google Drive etc all work quite well -- if not better -- on the iPhone, and I'm still able to share Calendars with my girlfriend so we know each others' work schedules, which is nice. The only Google service I used frequently that I miss on iOS is Google Keep, but I'm transitioning over to using Evernote instead and finally realizing how powerful a tool it is.

I will say it was nice having homescreen widgets that were always visible to remind me of important tasks/notes etc; but to my delight, much of that can still be done via the Today screen on iOS anyway.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
On a side note - why would you want to store all your information with Google. I don't like Google using my info to sell me ads.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I use Gmail and Calendar and have absolutely no issues. My contacts and Reminders are in iCloud, I sometimes have to think where each type is being stored as they all seem the same on the phone and iPad...

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
On a side note - why would you want to store all your information with Google. I don't like Google using my info to sell me ads.

I keep all my stuff with Google so I can switch between an iPhone and an Android any time I want and sync my info with either with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not bad. I have my contacts stored to my gmail and am able to sync them with my iPhone no problem. As well as my email and calendars.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issue. Everything stays well synced.

I keep all my stuff with Google so I can switch between an iPhone and an Android any time I want and sync my info with either with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some companies use GoogleApps so not everyone has an option.

bluirv

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
No problem here too. When you are setting up your iPhone, it asks you which platform to transfer from. One of these is Google.

Just select it and all you data loads in. :)

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I use Gmail and Calendar and have absolutely no issues. My contacts and Reminders are in iCloud, I sometimes have to think where each type is being stored as they all seem the same on the phone and iPad...

Same for me. I have Gmail for my ios email, notes and calendar and iCloud for my contacts and reminders.

Have run like this since the first day it was possible and not a single issue. Love how fluid it is and how quick it syncs. Notes are great for on the move and then when I'm on my desktop I often pick up my notes and continue from there!

I really don't see why the Gmail iOS App exists really. I mean yes I understand it handles some more google specific flagging etc but in iOS 8 there's not much you don't have in the iOS mail app.

Do any of you use the gmail app instead of the iOS mail and if so what's the advantages and disadvantages?

Cheers

TekNinja81

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering that myself. So far I'm using the iOS Mail app for everything, seems to handle Gmail adequately. Can't really see much reason to use it other than maybe a "prettier" interface.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox