Hello,

I live in a dorm and I know the internet here is ****ty but I only have 2.5GB of high speed data with T-Mobile so I have to use it. I had the iPhone 6 (regular not the plus) for a day last week and I ended up returning it and when I returned it I just kept my LG G3 which has no problem staying connected to the Wi-Fi here. Maybe once or twice a week it may have some issues but I restart the phone/Wi-Fi and everything is good.

I had this phone for a day and every 5 minutes (no lie) it would disconnect from the Wi-Fi. My iPad Air, running the same OS as the i6, stays connected just fine. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm wanting to purchase it again (this time outright so that I can keep my upgrade eligibility open) BUT I don't want to waste the $800 for the 128GB version and end up returning it and paying yet another restocking fee.

Anyone else have the issue of the i6 not staying connected to Wi-Fi?

Yes, I tried restarting my phone, doing a factory reset, turning on and off the Wi-Fi and all that good stuff... I did that a few times actually and I just got tired of it so I returned it the very next day. I've called T-Mobile several times so I know the troubleshooting steps by now. I would restart the router but that is not possible in a dorm.
    10-01-2014 11:03 PM
    Hello,

I live in a dorm and I know the internet here is ****ty but I only have 2.5GB of high speed data with T-Mobile so I have to use it. I had the iPhone 6 (regular not the plus) for a day last week and I ended up returning it and when I returned it I just kept my LG G3 which has no problem staying connected to the Wi-Fi here. Maybe once or twice a week it may have some issues but I restart the phone/Wi-Fi and everything is good.

I had this phone for a day and every 5 minutes (no lie) it would disconnect from the Wi-Fi. My iPad Air, running the same OS as the i6, stays connected just fine. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm wanting to purchase it again (this time outright so that I can keep my upgrade eligibility open) BUT I don't want to waste the $800 for the 128GB version and end up returning it and paying yet another restocking fee.

Anyone else have the issue of the i6 not staying connected to Wi-Fi?

Yes, I tried restarting my phone, doing a factory reset, turning on and off the Wi-Fi and all that good stuff... I did that a few times actually and I just got tired of it so I returned it the very next day. I've called T-Mobile several times so I know the troubleshooting steps by now. I would restart the router but that is not possible in a dorm.
    I am having the same problems. Go to an Apple Genius Bar, they should easily replace it for you for free.
    10-01-2014 11:30 PM
    Yes, I've been having issues. It's been much better since resetting all network settings. I had restored from a back up. I'm hoping this is still ios 8 related and not hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    10-02-2014 12:40 AM
    Same issue, but mine stays connected while I'm at my apartment. It's when I leave for school then come back into my apartment it stays on 4G instead of connecting into the wifi
    10-02-2014 01:03 AM
    I already returned the i6 but seeing this is a known issue makes me want to stick with the phone i have.
    10-02-2014 11:16 AM
    Mine has only done it once that I've noticed, but when it did, I had to reboot the phone to get WiFi to reconnect. It wouldn't see any wireless networks whatsoever until I did, and where I live there are usually quite a few visible.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I hadn't noticed it until I was in the middle of playing a video and realized it had loaded in SD rather than HD. Checked the status and sure enough, I was on my LTE connection. Odd.
    Darran likes this.
    10-02-2014 01:02 PM
    Mine has only done it once that I've noticed, but when it did, I had to reboot the phone to get WiFi to reconnect. It wouldn't see any wireless networks whatsoever until I did, and where I live there are usually quite a few visible.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I hadn't noticed it until I was in the middle of playing a video and realized it had loaded in SD rather than HD. Checked the status and sure enough, I was on my LTE connection. Odd.
    Had the exact same issue yesterday. I have at least 12 visible networks here at my office and it would see none of them. One reboot and it was back to normal.
    Darran likes this.
    10-02-2014 03:35 PM
    Yep I've had similar. Never an issue on any other iPhone variant on my home router but the iPhone 6 seems to lose wifi to my router now and then and struggles to reconnect automatically. I even toggle wifi off and on and it still takes about 60 seconds to reconnect.

Maybe it's just that we all have new phones and are playing with them and paying more attention to them whereby we wouldn't normally notice. What's annoying for me is I've moved from unlimited data to 2GB when I moved from T-Mobile to EE and each time my wifi drops I notice I eat into my mobile data allowance. I've since turned off mobile data for app downloads and various others but it's still annoying to the point I've had to manually toggle mobile data OFF whilst I'm at home so that if my wifi drops I don't accidentally eat into my mobile data allowance.

I honestly don't think this is a faulty iPhone I think this is likely software related.
    10-02-2014 08:45 PM
    ^^^It's not just the iPhone 6. Having same problem with the 5S. Personal hotspot is also flaky. Power down/up seems to resolve temporarily. I'm on 8.0.2.
    10-02-2014 09:04 PM
    ^^^It's not just the iPhone 6. Having same problem with the 5S. Personal hotspot is also flaky. Power down/up seems to resolve temporarily. I'm on 8.0.2.
    I agree i think it is ios 8. My iphone 5 and 5s worked fine while i had them with ios 7
    10-02-2014 09:28 PM
    In a weird way I'm pleased this is happening on other devices as at least it proves its iOS 8 related. Not sure why or what they would need to do in iOS 8 that would affect the wifi handling. Usually they just carry over code from the prior release unless there's any changes needed and I don't remember hearing any changes? Oh wait perhaps the personal hotspot or whatever they added into the wifi connections page?
    Last edited by Darran; 10-09-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    10-02-2014 11:04 PM
    when you set it up should set it up as new and just re do everything again downloading etc, i had this problem myself with wifi among battery issue and i message issue. the store replaced mine everything is working fine now though.
    10-02-2014 11:16 PM
    Yep I've already set mine up as new for another app issue that annoyingly turned out to be the app not compatible with iOS 8!

I don't think this is a corruption I honestly think this is something to do with iOS 8.x

That's odd is I've turned mobile data off since being at home for a few days and not once have I noticed the wifi drop. It's like 4G mobile data is overpowering the wifi connection in some way. I wonder if there's anything in place to automatically switch to the stronger connection?
    TommoRobbo likes this.
    10-03-2014 07:52 AM
    Yes, I've been having issues. It's been much better since resetting all network settings. I had restored from a back up. I'm hoping this is still ios 8 related and not hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly this. I reset my network settings and its not NEARLY as bad as it was before. I will occasionally still have issues at work but part of that is my work's wifi which has traditionally been pretty spotty. I'd recommend doing this and see if it fixes the problem.
    10-03-2014 08:05 AM
    Exactly this. I reset my network settings and its not NEARLY as bad as it was before. I will occasionally still have issues at work but part of that is my work's wifi which has traditionally been pretty spotty. I'd recommend doing this and see if it fixes the problem.
    It doesn't. I set my iPhone up as new when I originally restored as a backup and I've tried everything but nothing seems to work.
    10-03-2014 10:45 AM
    Safe say I was in my 14 days had it exchanged have 0 wifi issues now
    10-03-2014 12:47 PM
    Hi guys ! I bought my iPhone 6 last Friday and it's not the first time that I have to reboot the phone to get the wi fi networks back again,they don't appear on the screen and in my iPad everything is ok .
    10-03-2014 03:06 PM
    I had the same issue on T-Mobile! Went into Apple and they ran a test and exchanged the phone within 10 minutes!
    10-03-2014 03:12 PM
    My iphone 6 started giving problem when i updated to ios 8.0.2 , when i leave iphone on standby for long hours it disconnects the wifi then doesnt show any router name in wifi option, i rebooted my device everytime to search for wifi router and then it works fine for 1-2 days then again create problem. I think its the ios 8.0.2 which is creating problem because on my 5s ios 7 was working fine but after upgrading to ios 8.0.2 5s also creating same wifi problem, i heard that apple releasing ios 8.1 on 20 october, if its true then apple must got this wifi bug and they are solving through giving beta verion to developersšŸ˜Š
    10-03-2014 07:42 PM
    I find my 6 to have better wifi signal strength. While I haven't noticed lack of wifi staying connected. But I do notice that it seems to stay on 3G longer before switching to LTE (while road tripping) even in good LTE zones.
    10-04-2014 09:31 AM
    After having problem with wifi disconnection, last night i talked to apple expert through chatting by using telephone technical support which is valid for 3 months after purchase of new iphone, i told that guy all my problem regarding wifi that it disconnects itself when its on standby mode or left idle and i was on ios 8.0.2, but before that i sent apple my all diagnostic usage after running extended test so they can verify wether its hardware or software problem, so after checking diagnostic reports of my iphone 6 for few minutes he came back and told me that ur hardware test was fine, there was no problem in it but your software has major bug in it which is causing all this wifi problem, so he asked me that if u have computer around then i can help u much better through screen sharing, so i started my lappy then he asked me to download screen sharing setup from apple website link but i didnt allow him full access on my pc so he was just placing pointer on screen where to go in itunes and what option to select, after that he told me to open itunes and connect my iphone, he was looking my screen, he asked me to restore my iphone, itunes took backup of my iphone and then restore process was started, after selecting options the file came to download which was of 1.95gb, i think i was downloading whole ios 8.0.2 setup again or he just sent me some patch for my bug, then i updated my iphone with it so after that screen sharing support was ended, i got mail from his side with case number so if i face problem again regarding wifi so i can reopen my case with apple, now lets see what happens, my iphone is working fine till now, there is no wifi drop from last night while keepin it on standby mode, i suggest everyone to restore their iphones or ask for telephone technical help from apple, before deciding replacing your brand new iphone, in my country apple service centre replace your brand new iphone with some used or refurbished iphones so i prefer not to replace it. That was my story of last night.
    10-05-2014 01:25 AM
    Yeah this is really annoying me know. I suspect everyone is affected and those who haven't experienced it yet just simply haven't noticed!

I'm quite OCD so constantly checking my iphone 6 and have turned mobile data off whilst I'm at home to prevent it losing wifi and eating into my data. It takes a while to reconnect once I noticed its dropped the wifi connection and I've witnessed this about twice a day at the moment so could actually be happening more. What's annoying is although I've prevented my mobile data from being used when the wifi drops this does mean I don't get various data based notifications like whatssapp whilst the wifi drops as until it reconnects there's no data now. I woke this morning to find my wifi was gone and it said not connected and required a hard reboot to get it back then all my missed whatsapp and emails came through!

It's really annoying and doesn't look like a hardware issue as hardware usually works or it doesn't and if it is intermittent then you find its frequently intermittent t the point it does it every ten mins rather than twice per day!?

I did remember on previous iPhones (5, 4, 2G) while the phone was idle the status bar during locked should often show only 3G then when unlocked would change to wifi and various friends had this so I ignored it. This happened on various routers so not specified to my home router either. This is a bit like that I supposed only because the iPhone's are still new toys we are using and paying attention to them all more often to notice this.
    10-06-2014 07:42 PM
    I'm starting to notice the inconsistencies with wifi connectivity now... It will just completely drop wifi signal, then come back a few seconds later - and this happens even just 6ft away from the wireless router.

I hope 8.1 comes soon because 8.0.2 is garbage.
    10-06-2014 11:11 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Like some previous commenters I think it's an iOS 8 issue. My 5S has the same problem. I just upgraded my 5 that my mom uses to iOS 8 just a couple of days ago. It's now having the same issue. That's three generations all with the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-06-2014 11:34 PM
    I'm starting to notice the inconsistencies with wifi connectivity now... It will just completely drop wifi signal, then come back a few seconds later - and this happens even just 6ft away from the wireless router.

I hope 8.1 comes soon because 8.0.2 is garbage.

Yeah, I hope when 8.1 comes out with the apple pay update, the wifi / buggy issues are resolved as well.
    10-07-2014 12:44 AM
93 123 ...