Why isn't my iPhone 6 staying connected to wifi?

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 6 doesn't stay connected to Wi-Fi.

Hello,

I live in a dorm and I know the internet here is ****ty but I only have 2.5GB of high speed data with T-Mobile so I have to use it. I had the iPhone 6 (regular not the plus) for a day last week and I ended up returning it and when I returned it I just kept my LG G3 which has no problem staying connected to the Wi-Fi here. Maybe once or twice a week it may have some issues but I restart the phone/Wi-Fi and everything is good.

I had this phone for a day and every 5 minutes (no lie) it would disconnect from the Wi-Fi. My iPad Air, running the same OS as the i6, stays connected just fine. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm wanting to purchase it again (this time outright so that I can keep my upgrade eligibility open) BUT I don't want to waste the $800 for the 128GB version and end up returning it and paying yet another restocking fee.

Anyone else have the issue of the i6 not staying connected to Wi-Fi?

Yes, I tried restarting my phone, doing a factory reset, turning on and off the Wi-Fi and all that good stuff... I did that a few times actually and I just got tired of it so I returned it the very next day. I've called T-Mobile several times so I know the troubleshooting steps by now. I would restart the router but that is not possible in a dorm.

forbiddens

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 doesn't stay connected to Wi-Fi.

Hello,

I live in a dorm and I know the internet here is ****ty but I only have 2.5GB of high speed data with T-Mobile so I have to use it. I had the iPhone 6 (regular not the plus) for a day last week and I ended up returning it and when I returned it I just kept my LG G3 which has no problem staying connected to the Wi-Fi here. Maybe once or twice a week it may have some issues but I restart the phone/Wi-Fi and everything is good.

I had this phone for a day and every 5 minutes (no lie) it would disconnect from the Wi-Fi. My iPad Air, running the same OS as the i6, stays connected just fine. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm wanting to purchase it again (this time outright so that I can keep my upgrade eligibility open) BUT I don't want to waste the $800 for the 128GB version and end up returning it and paying yet another restocking fee.

Anyone else have the issue of the i6 not staying connected to Wi-Fi?

Yes, I tried restarting my phone, doing a factory reset, turning on and off the Wi-Fi and all that good stuff... I did that a few times actually and I just got tired of it so I returned it the very next day. I've called T-Mobile several times so I know the troubleshooting steps by now. I would restart the router but that is not possible in a dorm.
I am having the same problems. Go to an Apple Genius Bar, they should easily replace it for you for free.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I've been having issues. It's been much better since resetting all network settings. I had restored from a back up. I'm hoping this is still ios 8 related and not hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mnicole03

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

Same issue, but mine stays connected while I'm at my apartment. It's when I leave for school then come back into my apartment it stays on 4G instead of connecting into the wifi

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I already returned the i6 but seeing this is a known issue makes me want to stick with the phone i have.

TekNinja81

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Mine has only done it once that I've noticed, but when it did, I had to reboot the phone to get WiFi to reconnect. It wouldn't see any wireless networks whatsoever until I did, and where I live there are usually quite a few visible.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I hadn't noticed it until I was in the middle of playing a video and realized it had loaded in SD rather than HD. Checked the status and sure enough, I was on my LTE connection. Odd.

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Mine has only done it once that I've noticed, but when it did, I had to reboot the phone to get WiFi to reconnect. It wouldn't see any wireless networks whatsoever until I did, and where I live there are usually quite a few visible.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I hadn't noticed it until I was in the middle of playing a video and realized it had loaded in SD rather than HD. Checked the status and sure enough, I was on my LTE connection. Odd.

Had the exact same issue yesterday. I have at least 12 visible networks here at my office and it would see none of them. One reboot and it was back to normal.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Yep I've had similar. Never an issue on any other iPhone variant on my home router but the iPhone 6 seems to lose wifi to my router now and then and struggles to reconnect automatically. I even toggle wifi off and on and it still takes about 60 seconds to reconnect.

Maybe it's just that we all have new phones and are playing with them and paying more attention to them whereby we wouldn't normally notice. What's annoying for me is I've moved from unlimited data to 2GB when I moved from T-Mobile to EE and each time my wifi drops I notice I eat into my mobile data allowance. I've since turned off mobile data for app downloads and various others but it's still annoying to the point I've had to manually toggle mobile data OFF whilst I'm at home so that if my wifi drops I don't accidentally eat into my mobile data allowance.

I honestly don't think this is a faulty iPhone I think this is likely software related.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

^^^It's not just the iPhone 6. Having same problem with the 5S. Personal hotspot is also flaky. Power down/up seems to resolve temporarily. I'm on 8.0.2.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

^^^It's not just the iPhone 6. Having same problem with the 5S. Personal hotspot is also flaky. Power down/up seems to resolve temporarily. I'm on 8.0.2.
I agree i think it is ios 8. My iphone 5 and 5s worked fine while i had them with ios 7

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 6 doesn't stay connected to Wi-Fi.

In a weird way I'm pleased this is happening on other devices as at least it proves its iOS 8 related. Not sure why or what they would need to do in iOS 8 that would affect the wifi handling. Usually they just carry over code from the prior release unless there's any changes needed and I don't remember hearing any changes? Oh wait perhaps the personal hotspot or whatever they added into the wifi connections page?

Last edited:

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

when you set it up should set it up as new and just re do everything again downloading etc, i had this problem myself with wifi among battery issue and i message issue. the store replaced mine everything is working fine now though.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Yep I've already set mine up as new for another app issue that annoyingly turned out to be the app not compatible with iOS 8!

I don't think this is a corruption I honestly think this is something to do with iOS 8.x

That's odd is I've turned mobile data off since being at home for a few days and not once have I noticed the wifi drop. It's like 4G mobile data is overpowering the wifi connection in some way. I wonder if there's anything in place to automatically switch to the stronger connection?

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I've been having issues. It's been much better since resetting all network settings. I had restored from a back up. I'm hoping this is still ios 8 related and not hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly this. I reset my network settings and its not NEARLY as bad as it was before. I will occasionally still have issues at work but part of that is my work's wifi which has traditionally been pretty spotty. I'd recommend doing this and see if it fixes the problem.

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Exactly this. I reset my network settings and its not NEARLY as bad as it was before. I will occasionally still have issues at work but part of that is my work's wifi which has traditionally been pretty spotty. I'd recommend doing this and see if it fixes the problem.
It doesn't. I set my iPhone up as new when I originally restored as a backup and I've tried everything but nothing seems to work.

telmosantos

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys ! I bought my iPhone 6 last Friday and it's not the first time that I have to reboot the phone to get the wi fi networks back again,they don't appear on the screen and in my iPad everything is ok .

Lisa Parker1

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

I had the same issue on T-Mobile! Went into Apple and they ran a test and exchanged the phone within 10 minutes!

shivamanuja

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

My iphone 6 started giving problem when i updated to ios 8.0.2 , when i leave iphone on standby for long hours it disconnects the wifi then doesnt show any router name in wifi option, i rebooted my device everytime to search for wifi router and then it works fine for 1-2 days then again create problem. I think its the ios 8.0.2 which is creating problem because on my 5s ios 7 was working fine but after upgrading to ios 8.0.2 5s also creating same wifi problem, i heard that apple releasing ios 8.1 on 20 october, if its true then apple must got this wifi bug and they are solving through giving beta verion to developers😊

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I find my 6 to have better wifi signal strength. While I haven't noticed lack of wifi staying connected. But I do notice that it seems to stay on 3G longer before switching to LTE (while road tripping) even in good LTE zones.