Oh Apple, make my phone choice hard?? Moto X or iPhone 6?

michaels_epp

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new smartphone (or will be soon) and I'm stuck between the Moto X 2014 and the iPhone 6. I've had many phones before I stayed on last years Moto X including the Nexus 4, HTC Windows Phone 8x, and the Blackberry Z10. Last years Moto X was and still is a pretty good, great even, smartphone. It's battery and camera are its only down points as I've had it for a year and its still faster than a friend's LG G3. The new Moto X has caught my eye becuase of its metal and how swaggy it looks (I just wrote that?) plus my last Moto was amazing. Then there's the iPhone, it's new biggerish screen, touch ID, and better camera than any android likely will have for a couple years make me want it. If the new Moto had the camera of the iPhone I would buy it hands down. Yet it doesn't and all the great things about IPhones are starting to appeal to me so the choice is hard. Can you give some advice?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend the 6+. It is a phenomenal phone in every aspect. And if you are still worrying about the whole "bendgate" thing, don't, because it is false.

rajeshr68

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two phones. Given that you like the 2013 Moto X, the iPhone 6+ may be a little too big for you (unless you want a Note 3 sized phone). Both the 2014 Moto X and iPhone 6 are slightly larger than the 2013 Moto X, so that's a wash. The 2014 Moto X has the 1920x1080 screen and the wonderful Moto customizations going for it and iPhone 6 has the camera and Touch ID going for it.

Realistically, it probably will come down to your preference of OS and/or the specific apps you use regularly that will drive you to a choice between the two. I don't think either of them is a bad choice.

FYI - I had the 2013 Moto X and now have the iPhone 6 simply because my work supports the iPhone better than any Android device. If that wasn't the case, I'd have the same dilemma that you currently face.

michaels_epp

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two phones. Given that you like the 2013 Moto X, the iPhone 6+ may be a little too big for you (unless you want a Note 3 sized phone). Both the 2014 Moto X and iPhone 6 are slightly larger than the 2013 Moto X, so that's a wash. The 2014 Moto X has the 1920x1080 screen and the wonderful Moto customizations going for it and iPhone 6 has the camera and Touch ID going for it.

Realistically, it probably will come down to your preference of OS and/or the specific apps you use regularly that will drive you to a choice between the two. I don't think either of them is a bad choice.

FYI - I had the 2013 Moto X and now have the iPhone 6 simply because my work supports the iPhone better than any Android device. If that wasn't the case, I'd have the same dilemma that you currently face.

Exactly! Either way I'd be happy and that's the problem ��. I like both IOS and Android (especially "L") I'm perfectly fine with my Moto so the lower resolution of the iPhone doesn't affect me. My gut/heart is going for the iPhone while my head says Moto.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is great on the iPhone 6. I've read in reviews that the Moto X 2014 doesn't have very good battery life. That would be another reason for the iPhone. And don't forget Apple pay. The Android Central podcast said that Apple pay could be the end of Google Wallet. I hope that is not the case, but you never know.

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
You are on an iPhone forum... What do you think people is going to recommend? If the camera is not something you use on your daily basis and Touch ID is not a must, go ahead and get the Moto X.
But I can see you are really considering those. Go to the Apple Store and play with the iPhone 6, then go to Best Buy and play with the Moto X. Then pick the one you liked the most. The Moto X looks stunning to my opinion, it's all about tastes and the one you like the most.

bbhybridchris

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Your facing the same dilemma I've faced in the past few days. Loved the original Moto X and have used quite a few phones in the past year. When I started out my smartphone life I always had a BlackBerry. As many others did I switched as things became stale with OS6 and 7 on BB. I've had an iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s during that time period as well. The 4s was probably my favorite I had it in white and for me was the one I had kept the longest. In between I've had the Samsung galaxy nexus, nexus 4, nexus 5, on and on...I've tried Windows phone a few times I really like the Lumia Icon. Of course when BB10 came out I had a Z10 on launch day...then a Q10 and finally for me the best BB10 experience the Z30. I have yet to find any phone that has really kept my interest for very long...I keep looking for the right device and haven't come across it yet. I've held both the 6 and 6 plus in the stores for me the plus is just too big for an every day phone I really enjoyed holding the 6 in my hand. It was smooth, fluid, things worked like they were supposed to. I've become very integrated into the Apple ecosystem while still maintaining everything on both iTunes and Google Play music. With continuity and handoff it was almost just an added bonus to a great phone for me. I've had a iPad mini since they first came out (yes no retina mini for me yet) and now have a 2013 MacBook pro retina. So now as long as my phone is home it can be anywhere and I can answer calls from any of my devices that I choose. As you can see there is no way anyone can possibly call me an iSheep...I've been around the block obviously lol. On a side note the one thing I'm going to miss is my Moto 360 it's an awesome looking watch and does just what I want it to. I feel like from the demos that we've seen the Apple watch is trying to do too much. The apps, heartbeat, tapping messages....it just seems to be a lot for something on your wrist. I want to be able to receive my notifications...reply if need be by voice and tell time...and upcoming appointments and weather also come through. The step counter and heart monitor is nice as well. I really hope they try to keep it simple and not overcomplicate the watch. Apple is all about simplistic design they should definitely stick to it ;)

Posted via iMore App

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
In my experience there is always a trade off on the features you want from android. If iOS offers everything you want and need then you know everything it can do, it does EXTREMELY WELL.

The moto x is a spiffy phone but the camera is the weak point and the trade-off. For me that is a no-go but it depends on the person.

Make a list of features you like on both and see which wins out. If you have money, get both :p

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Here it's a tool vs toy scenario that drives what I chose personally but I use all the popular platforms in my job.

The Moto looks great but a few apps, and Apple's total package - service, reliability, small size, etc - win. I don't need any extra fooling around with gear in my life because of work and other interests. That makes the just works simplicity nice for me but some I know hate that and want to be doing constant tweaks with their Android options and extra buttons.

Having had larger Adroid phone, I became very fond of the 5 size. So far the thin 6 and reachability mode have me liking the bigger Apple, or at least put to bed the fear of too big.

JAStark27

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I actually had the Moto X (2013) and loved it but after about 6 months it started acting weird. The voice thing would randomly turn on even though I never said the keywords at all. I had a big problem randomly calling someone while the phone was in my pocket and I have no clue why. I switched to the iPhone 6 64gb space grey mainly because they added widgets and I loved the new iOS 8 features. The apps I use have a much better design then the android counterpart. I personally would go with the iPhone 6 but its ultimately your choice.

michaels_epp

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Here it's a tool vs toy scenario that drives what I chose personally but I use all the popular platforms in my job.

The Moto looks great but a few apps, and Apple's total package - service, reliability, small size, etc - win. I don't need any extra fooling around with gear in my life because of work and other interests. That makes the just works simplicity nice for me but some I know hate that and want to be doing constant tweaks with their Android options and extra buttons.

Having had larger Adroid phone, I became very fond of the 5 size. So far the thin 6 and reachability mode have me liking the bigger Apple, or at least put to bed the fear of too big.

Not trying to start any wars but I have to disagree on a couple points. The app gap between IOS and Android is, in my opinion, completely gone. The iPhone also has larger bezels so the in hand size is almost the same.

michaels_epp

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually had the Moto X (2013) and loved it but after about 6 months it started acting weird. The voice thing would randomly turn on even though I never said the keywords at all. I had a big problem randomly calling someone while the phone was in my pocket and I have no clue why. I switched to the iPhone 6 64gb space grey mainly because they added widgets and I loved the new iOS 8 features. The apps I use have a much better design then the android counterpart. I personally would go with the iPhone 6 but its ultimately your choice.

I've has the same problems, super weird.

michaels_epp

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
You are on an iPhone forum... What do you think people is going to recommend? If the camera is not something you use on your daily basis and Touch ID is not a must, go ahead and get the Moto X.
But I can see you are really considering those. Go to the Apple Store and play with the iPhone 6, then go to Best Buy and play with the Moto X. Then pick the one you liked the most. The Moto X looks stunning to my opinion, it's all about tastes and the one you like the most.

That's the exact reason I posted this over on the android forums. I've been to the Bestbuys and Radioshacks and even the Verizon store but none have had the Moto. While the Verizon store did have the iPhone the sales rep was helping out some people right in front of it.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X is a great phone as is the 6. You can't go wrong with either one. The custom design part of the X is a really cool feature.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
That new Moto X is a nice phone played with one the other day while at the AT&T store, it's definitely a contender.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711